It's Happening

This could just as well be Valve trolling all of us. Don't get your hopes up just yet.

Been rumors for years now if Half Life 3 will actually come out, I'm hoping they do bring it sooner then later, there's still a loyal fan base for the game!

There's also this.

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

To quote gigapixels on IRC:

[09:27:48] <%gigapixels> i feel like valve will release HL3 without any prior notification
[09:27:53] <%gigapixels> they don't need the advertising
[09:27:59] <%gigapixels> everybody's already waiting for it

It's not entirely impossible, but... colour me skeptical for now. Until we have more information. 

To me that looks more like Portal 3, especially the button saying "Basically just a big room full of knives", that sounds more like a Portal level.

Also that Japanese in that tweet translates to "Prepare for unexpected results", that's a testing term, which the Portal games are, just a big series of tests. I think it's Portal 3.

I think the anticipation is so high that any game released couldn't possibly live up to that anticipation.

A years have past since the last instalment and gaming has also changed since then. If it ever comes out it would be really interesting to see how it was received. 

half-portal

Thats what im hoping for a great portal 3/HL 3 tie in, 

on a side note i think that Aperture Science and the whole Portal 2 had a lot more personality that HL did. 

It would be good if they were to do something to end the story, it gets annoying when a story goes on forever without a conclusion. 

A great change up was the difference between HL and HL2 differen environment, (sort off) different enemies.

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I can't help it. :(

There was also that Easter egg in Portal 2 (I'm hoping that is real anyway...as I haven't done that myself, only seen clips).

It was strange though, the easter egg in Portal 2 mentioned a ship in the arctic and the pic mentions a terrarium which is a desert style tank for reptiles so the 2 are completely opposite environments, maybe there are portals involved somewhere.

Well, now I need to go and play the Portal series again, and maybe get around to finishing HL2. I guess I'm one of the few that's hoping it's a Portal reference...

It was strange though, the easter egg in Portal 2 mentioned a ship in the arctic and the pic mentions a terrarium which is a desert style tank for reptiles so the 2 are completely opposite environments, maybe there are portals involved somewhere.

That easter egg was in HL2: EP2 -.-'

Also in HL1 or 2 isn't the line "Prepare for unexpected results" used?

There is intentional links between Portal and Half-Life, specifically with Aperture and Black Mesa, and the Borealis. I was meaning the video I have linked in the post I made earlier.

Thats what im hoping for a great portal 3/HL 3 tie in

Those games should be mutually exclusive. It would only result in mindless Valve fanbase circlejerk on the internet. HL universe is the more-or-less mature one of the two.

No need to dilute it with Portal-esque stuff, there's Portal 1 & 2 for that.

Having said that, I do realise that the premise of Episode 3 was the Aperture Labs ship full with teleportation technology. But I'll say it once again:

Either Half-Life Next is a serieus, uncontaminated entry in the HL universe or it shouldn't be released at all.

Oh and yes, it won't live up to the hype, but it will be praised to kindom come anyway by both the press and the gaming-culture 'gamers'.

That easter egg was in HL2: EP2 -.-'

Also in HL1 or 2 isn't the line "Prepare for unexpected results" used?

Close, but the actual line is "Prepare for unforeseen consequences", I think it's a tease.

EDIT: Even I got it wrong it's been so long :rofl:

Well one of the levels in HL1 was called "Unforeseen consequences" so it's another tie-in. Although we've kept jerked around for years with Half-Life so I'm not getting excited and to be honest, I doubt there's even a new game engine which Valve is badly needing so I'm not even excited for it for that reason.

Close, but the actual line is "Prepare for unforeseen consequences", I think it's a tease.

EDIT: Even I got it wrong it's been so long :rofl:

Essentially the same meaning....

If it was Half-Life 3, i think there would be more than a magazine reveal. I think we'd see an ARG at least.

While i'll welcome a Portal 3, it would be quite annoying because everybody wants Half-Life 3 and to release another game that isn't Half-Life would be taking the biscuit a bit..

Still i'll hold out hope. Plus with next gen consoles just around the corner. It could happen as it is obvious when they show off Half-Life 3. It will be on their new engine, i don't think Portal 3 will be the flagship title to show off their next engine.

My hopes for Half-Life 3 have gone up and down so many times that I've been desensitized to the rumours. I'll wait until they release a screenshot or teaser trailer until I get excited again.