What do we think of the Xbox One Kinect?

Personally, I have a hard time believing Microsoft can't come up with a way to create a microphone array concealed by something to absorb the fan noise to embed it in the console in a manner that works. I'm sure a company with its vast amount of resources and skilled employees could think of something.

Absorbing noise lowers cooling performance, and can't really be done well enough to block it out unless you're looking to have the fan behind a solid block of concrete.  Even the best directional mic can't discern between noise right next to it and noise coming from the right direction.

I don't think microphones and fans will ever go together.

Absorbing noise lowers cooling performance, and can't really be done well enough to block it out unless you're looking to have the fan behind a solid block of concrete.  Even the best directional mic can't discern between noise right next to it and noise coming from the right direction.

I don't think microphones and fans will ever go together.

There have been plenty of prototypes in the past few years of noise-canceling fan technology from small start-ups (one example). I refuse to believe a company of Microsoft's resources is incapable of creating its own solution given the surely insane R&D budget it had for Xbox One.

It's not even necessarily a matter of canceling the noise entirely -- merely accepting that the noise exists and recognizing that it's not a noise associated with voice controls, so that's another aspect making a solution probable. Another possibility is not even enclosing it in the case, but finding a way to where it blends in with the case without being located flush with it; the Xbox One is said to be much, much quieter than the Xbox 360.

What I want to know what if the Kinect brakes.

Are you going to end up with a useless Xbone-180 until you buy another Kinect since it they said "Xbox One console will not function unless the Kinect sensor is plugged in"?

Which will probably be like $200 since the Kinect one was $150

Are you going to end up with a useless Xbone-180 until you buy another Kinect since it they said "Xbox One console will not function unless the Kinect sensor is plugged in"?

No, you're not.  The Xbox One just checks to see the Kinect is plugged in not powered on and working since we already know you can change the privacy settings and use it as little or not at all.  It just has to be plugged into the custom port, that's it.

but it still need doing the 'handshake' to verify that its being plugged,

if kinect did brokes, that handshake procedure might fail too, and xbox one would assume that kinect was not being plugged.

otherwise people will start plugging a loopback at kinect connector on xbox one, and rid kinect entirely.

I really don't understand why it needs to be plugged. I can understand why they are bundling it; they want it in people's homes, but there could be valid reasons why a user would want to unplug it:

You don't use it and it is collecting dust so you want to put it away for safe keeping.

Perhaps you are a college student or short on space and you can't/don't use it because of limited space.

Or you bought the thing so you should have a choice which optional peripherals to attach to the effing thing! Maybe you're a minimalist and you don't want it at all.

Companies usually get criticised for forcing peripherals and proprietary crap on people, I am not sure why this isn't getting the same treatment.

Kinect 2.0 doesn't require as much Space anymore.

The reasons for making Kinect mandatory is most likely:

- The use it for controlling the OS itself, skype etc. (that's why there isn't a headset included)

- MS wants to push NUI. Devs won't make AAA games that requires Kinect features if they can't be assured that 90-100% of the Xbox One users can use it, becasue that would hurt their market. If players are able to disconnect it, many probably would and the devs would only be able to sell the game to ex. 60% of the users. (remember that People would "forget" to bring their kinect when they moved the Xbox, maybe lose it etc. so they wouldn't be able to just reconnect it if the game requires it.

- The Kinect is included with the console and covered by the same warranty. As far as I know it's not going to be sold as an accessory, so if People disconnected it, they could lose it and wouldn't be able to use it. Again, this would stop devs from making games that uses it because they wouldn't be able to sell as much.

As long as it's required to be connected, you won't lose it, will you? :P

You're still thinking of it as an added extra, it's not, it's part of the console now so if it breaks then you'd have to get it fixed just like any other part of the console.

You're still thinking of it as an added extra, it's not, it's part of the console now so if it breaks then you'd have to get it fixed just like any other part of the console.

But I don't see what the Kinect does that a controller can't do as far as controlling the interface that you must have the Kinect. Sure instead of saying something you would have to use the directional pad but it can be done unless they are purposefully removing any other form of controlling the interface. The Xbone-180 is technically perfectly capable of functioning without the Kinect if the Kinect was broken.

There is no excuse as to why force it to have it connected.

And if it's part of the console why not have it permanently connected???

Is the kinect hard wired in or is it a plug connection? I understand it is something that they will add to all sold consoles and that its requirement for the Xbox.

But for example the power connector is a plug so you can disconnect it from the console and then put the wires through a TV Unit cable hole, I'm assuming the kinect would be the same right? Otherwise some people would have to open the front draw of their tv units for the kinect to be positioned in a good spot. I have an open back tv unit because of a 7.1 channel amplifier which has a lot of wires but when I bought it I saw a fair few with only wire holes.

No external cables are hard-wired into the console. The Kinect is connected using the big Kinect-Connector on the back of the Xbox One.

I actually really enjoy Kinect. "The Gunstringer," "Kinect Sports" and "Kinect Adventures" are all fantastic -- it's a shame there aren't more quality games for it. Yes, there's absolutely lag, but I like the device overall.

That said...

I think bundling the next-gen Kinect with Xbox One is stupid. My opinion all along has been that they should have a bundle as well as a version of Xbox One without Kinect. They clearly want people using the voice controls, however, so why not just integrate that into the console itself? They could have a version that competes with the PS4 on price that way.

Microsoft's made a big deal about how Kinect is so important, yet ironically they haven't shown a single game that makes extensive use of Kinect since Xbox One was announced. At best, they want developers to tack on features that aren't necessary -- making Kinect unnecessary.

Its funny that you knock MS for not showing any Kinect only titles and yet if they had done that at E3, etc, many in the 'gaming community' would have blasted MS as being out of touch, blah, blah, blah. I can see the forum posts now. No, I think they did it the right way. They laid out the new hardware improvements, showed how it was integrated throughout the entire system (unlike the first version), and are bundling it with each system. All of that is good for devs. They left Kinect game demos for later, not in the spot light.

The downside is of course that they are left at a higher price point than the ps4 (thanks to Sony's slick move to cut their camera from the bundle). If MS feels they are at a huge disadvantage, then they have to lower the price to match, or offer a bundle without Kinect.

There have been plenty of prototypes in the past few years of noise-canceling fan technology from small start-ups (one example). I refuse to believe a company of Microsoft's resources is incapable of creating its own solution given the surely insane R&D budget it had for Xbox One.

It's not even necessarily a matter of canceling the noise entirely -- merely accepting that the noise exists and recognizing that it's not a noise associated with voice controls, so that's another aspect making a solution probable. Another possibility is not even enclosing it in the case, but finding a way to where it blends in with the case without being located flush with it; the Xbox One is said to be much, much quieter than the Xbox 360.

Building a mic into the X1 just wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. From a technical point, this would require you to keep the X1 out in the open. I like the fact that I can mount my Kinect in many places and its relatively small while Xbox is out of sight. Also, considering the anger online against Kinect on privacy grounds (even if the claims may not be true), think of those same people getting more enraged that a mic is built in.

I really don't understand why it needs to be plugged. I can understand why they are bundling it; they want it in people's homes, but there could be valid reasons why a user would want to unplug it:

You don't use it and it is collecting dust so you want to put it away for safe keeping.

Perhaps you are a college student or short on space and you can't/don't use it because of limited space.

Or you bought the thing so you should have a choice which optional peripherals to attach to the effing thing! Maybe you're a minimalist and you don't want it at all.

Companies usually get criticised for forcing peripherals and proprietary crap on people, I am not sure why this isn't getting the same treatment.

I guess its just different because its a gaming console. Accessories are nothing new to this market.

Besides, haven't you seen the usual internet crowd bashing the X1 for this? So yes, it is getting the same treatment.

My gut feeling is that MS was intent on assuring devs that every X1 owner would be using Kinect so that they would will to take risks creating games that took advantage of it in good ways. Requiring to be plugged in is part of that.

I also think MS is reconsidering that right now. I don't know if they will change it, but I feel its possible.

Technology wise it's far superior to the previous one, but, (much like the first one) there are no scenarios that I would ever want to interact with it while playing a game. Controlling apps and media player functions with it is another story.

Its funny that you knock MS for not showing any Kinect only titles and yet if they had done that at E3, etc, many in the 'gaming community' would have blasted MS as being out of touch, blah, blah, blah. I can see the forum posts now. No, I think they did it the right way. They laid out the new hardware improvements, showed how it was integrated throughout the entire system (unlike the first version), and are bundling it with each system. All of that is good for devs. They left Kinect game demos for later, not in the spot light.

The downside is of course that they are left at a higher price point than the ps4 (thanks to Sony's slick move to cut their camera from the bundle). If MS feels they are at a huge disadvantage, then they have to lower the price to match, or offer a bundle without Kinect.

Building a mic into the X1 just wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. From a technical point, this would require you to keep the X1 out in the open. I like the fact that I can mount my Kinect in many places and its relatively small while Xbox is out of sight. Also, considering the anger online against Kinect on privacy grounds (even if the claims may not be true), think of those same people getting more enraged that a mic is built in.

I don't speak for everyone else, I only speak for myself. You also missed my point that Microsoft is repeatedly claiming Kinect is vital to the Xbox One for a variety of reasons, yet almost all of the "hardcore" games showcased didn't have any Kinect features mentioned.

The Xbox One has to be relatively out in the open regardless. You do plan on using a controller and not stuffing it in an enclosed area where heat is an issue, right? It may not be plagued by RROD problems, but I wouldn't put any console in an enclosed area. I fail to see the anger about privacy if a mic was built in versus requiring you to plug the Kinect sensor in -- you could turn off either option, but it's still going to be there. Those privacy concerns are all a load of junk anyway.

The Xbox One has to be relatively out in the open regardless. You do plan on using a controller and not stuffing it in an enclosed area where heat is an issue, right?

I have all my consoles (well, currently I only have a PS3, but should have a new 360 tomorrow) in my desk at the moment.  The back is open, the front is not...cuts the hardware noise out.

I don't speak for everyone else, I only speak for myself. You also missed my point that Microsoft is repeatedly claiming Kinect is vital to the Xbox One for a variety of reasons, yet almost all of the "hardcore" games showcased didn't have any Kinect features mentioned.

The Xbox One has to be relatively out in the open regardless. You do plan on using a controller and not stuffing it in an enclosed area where heat is an issue, right? It may not be plagued by RROD problems, but I wouldn't put any console in an enclosed area. I fail to see the anger about privacy if a mic was built in versus requiring you to plug the Kinect sensor in -- you could turn off either option, but it's still going to be there. Those privacy concerns are all a load of junk anyway.

Well I thought you were talking about what would have been the best choice for MS to make. I'm not going to argue your own preferences.

For me, I'm not upset with the lack Kinect only titles. After this gen, I'm happy to wait on devs to use it right.  Kinect Sports Rivals will be a launch Kinect title for those interested. My family has had lots of fun with the previous title, so I'm interested in it.  As far as using Kinect with core titles, I expect 3rd party devs to slowly start trying new things with it thanks to the bundling and tech improvements.

Regarding where I put an X1, as was said, I keep my consoles out of sight where they get plenty of ventilation out the back. They don't overheat there. If I need to charge my controller, I'll have a micro-usb cable ran from my X1 out the back and then out front to plug into my controller. I just like as little visible as possible.

Regarding the privacy stuff. I agree that some are blowing it way out of proportion considering you can control what's enabled, I'm just pointing out what would likely be the response from some.

I have all my consoles (well, currently I only have a PS3, but should have a new 360 tomorrow) in my desk at the moment.  The back is open, the front is not...cuts the hardware noise out.

Exactly, same for me.

My gut feeling is that MS was intent on assuring devs that every X1 owner would be using Kinect so that they would will to take risks creating games that took advantage of it in good ways. Requiring to be plugged in is part of that.

And my gut feeling is that Microsoft intent is in getting all those extra sales of broken Kinects because now they have to replace it instead of just not buying another-one and you know how peripherals have a huge markup.

On the Xbox 360 if you bought the Kinect and it broke you didn't have to replace it for the Xbox 360 to continue working so I assume most people just didn't bother buying another one.

Now they are going to have to buy another-one if they don't want to have a $500 good for nothing brick . So now they have two ways of recuperate the console loss: from game developers and the must buy again if broken Kinect which will probably not be cheap.

And my gut feeling is that Microsoft intent is in getting all those extra sales of broken Kinects because now they have to replace it instead of just not buying another-one and you know how peripherals have a huge markup.

On the Xbox 360 if you bought the Kinect and it broke you didn't have to replace it for the Xbox 360 to continue working so I assume most people just didn't bother buying another one.

Now they are going to have to buy another-one if they don't want to have a $500 good for nothing brick . So now they have two ways of recuperate the console loss: from game developers and the must buy again if broken Kinect which will probably not be cheap.

That's just ridiculous in my opinion. I get the feeling your just messing around, but it still sounds ridiculous.

First of all, I'm pretty sure Kinect will carry the same warranty as the console so you would get a free replacement. Secondly, why is the assumption that the hardware is going to be so unreliable that it requires regular replacement? The first Kinect seem to do just fine, heck it had a much better track record than the Xbox itself.  Finally, its cute to try and spin a conspiracy theory around MS forcing out faulty hardware in order to guarantee that they make loads of money off replacements, but come on lol.

That would probably be the worst business decision one could make. MS especially know what happens when you put out faulty hardware.

Still, I think MS will have an option to boot the system without Kinect connected. It could even happen before launch.

Kinect 2.0 doesn't require as much Space anymore.

The reasons for making Kinect mandatory is most likely:

- The use it for controlling the OS itself, skype etc. (that's why there isn't a headset included)

- MS wants to push NUI. Devs won't make AAA games that requires Kinect features if they can't be assured that 90-100% of the Xbox One users can use it, becasue that would hurt their market. If players are able to disconnect it, many probably would and the devs would only be able to sell the game to ex. 60% of the users. (remember that People would "forget" to bring their kinect when they moved the Xbox, maybe lose it etc. so they wouldn't be able to just reconnect it if the game requires it.

- The Kinect is included with the console and covered by the same warranty. As far as I know it's not going to be sold as an accessory, so if People disconnected it, they could lose it and wouldn't be able to use it. Again, this would stop devs from making games that uses it because they wouldn't be able to sell as much.

As long as it's required to be connected, you won't lose it, will you? :p

We should hard-wire controllers so we don't lose them too :p

MS really never can win can they?

Without a shadow of a doubt, if MS even showed one Kinect title there would of been forum posts, abuse everywhere claiming that their machine wasn't for "gamers". Without any shown, MS aren't making Kinect useful. As an editor surely you should know Ryse has deep Kinect integration right?

MS really never can win can they?

Without a shadow of a doubt, if MS even showed one Kinect title there would of been forum posts, abuse everywhere claiming that their machine wasn't for "gamers". Without any shown, MS aren't making Kinect useful. As an editor surely you should know Ryse has deep Kinect integration right?

So am I not allowed to have an opinion or something? I don't understand you guys. I'm giving my opinion, which is all I ever presented it as.

I've wrote multiple news posts about "Ryse" mentioning its Kinect integration, so yes, I'm well aware of it. I would hardly call it "deep," however, as it's just voice commands that we know of.

I thought the point of this thread was to discuss the new Kinect, not to go over the same old tired whining of whether it can be turned of or if it should be bundled?

So am I not allowed to have an opinion or something? I don't understand you guys. I'm giving my opinion, which is all I ever presented it as.

I've wrote multiple news posts about "Ryse" mentioning its Kinect integration, so yes, I'm well aware of it. I would hardly call it "deep," however, as it's just voice commands that we know of.

I wasn't slating your opinion, I actually share it. I was referring to the community who don't want to see anything other than tech specs and online lobbies with 256 people.

Kinect in Dead Rising 3 the zombies react to noises in your living room that are made around you, so if your stood behind a horde of them and they're facing forwards, if you shout at them they turn around. That's a subtle but very cool feature, something I think Kinect is designed for in hardcore games.

This is information that all game developers announced during or after E3. I'm guessing MS were super scared about the level of Kinect they showed due to the communities cries. Quick google searches on the games reveals this info.

EDIT: I've just tried to read the information regarding Ryse's Kinect integration and there is literally nothing detailed. 

EDIT 2: I've managed to find one sentence referring it to voice commands which control your unit. Lame.

I wasn't slating your opinion, I actually share it. I was referring to the community who don't want to see anything other than tech specs and online lobbies with 256 people.

Kinect in Dead Rising 3 the zombies react to noises in your living room that are made around you, so if your stood behind a horde of them and they're facing forwards, if you shout at them they turn around. That's a subtle but very cool feature, something I think Kinect is designed for in hardcore games.

This is information that all game developers announced during or after E3. I'm guessing MS were super scared about the level of Kinect they showed due to the communities cries. Quick google searches on the games reveals this info.

EDIT: I've just tried to read the information regarding Ryse's Kinect integration and there is literally nothing detailed. 

EDIT 2: I've managed to find one sentence referring it to voice commands which control your unit. Lame.

That's the basis of my problem, though: If Kinect is so important that you've determined it key to your console's success and require it to be connected to every console, then you better show a reason why it's so vital. They only showed, what, two or three gaming implementations at their E3 press conference? And all of those were basic voice commands or something similar. Those aren't killer features.

"Kinect Sports Rivals" was shown off in a trailer, though they said nothing about it. And supposedly the new Kinect sensor has insanely improved tracking recognition, which is fantastic. One of the main problems gamers have with the current-generation Kinect is the lag, and that's understandable. Supposedly the next-gen sensor is nearly lag free. If so, why not show that? That's a big selling point.

I was honestly more excited about "Ryse" when it was a Kinect-only title. I'm not a fan of the quick-time events or weak voice integration. I don't think Microsoft was scared to show off Kinect, I think they simply don't have much planned for it at the moment, which strikes me as odd given the emphasis they've placed on it. If they had stuff to show off, they could have done so before or after the press conference, but all they showed was "Kinect Sports Rivals."

Like I said, I'm a fan of Kinect and I have no qualms paying for it. Microsoft still hasn't given a reason why it's as vital as they claim, however.

I  think that red "editor" badge is like a red rag to a bull on this forum sometimes.  :rofl: