Surface RT + Windows 8.1

Does anyone have any problems with apps saying they need to be re-installed or having a download icon next to them?

I wonder if it's a good time to buy a Surface RT, with the free touch/type cover right now (special end june 30), or wait for the new Surface RT, if it's announced during Build...

Does anyone have any problems with apps saying they need to be re-installed or having a download icon next to them?

Many of mine needed to be updated/reinstalled.  I noticed I suddenly had a lot of free storage space after the update.  Some did survive though so I'm not sure of the distinction.

I wonder if it's a good time to buy a Surface RT, with the free touch/type cover right now (special end june 30), or wait for the new Surface RT, if it's announced during Build...

The free touchpad is a nice deal, but i'd probably just wait for revision 2, unless you can score a free touchpad at staples where I think the RT is 399.

I don't use the covers myself, just tablet straight up.

have the fully announced the snapdragon version or was that just a rumor for someone using snapdragon on an 8.1 device?

FYI I ran "wsreset" and now all my apps are behaving nice - had a few that were stuck in update mode I guess.

Yeah. I had a few apps that needed re-installed.

Does 8.1 share apps now and just have profile data unique to each profile? seems like it is doing something to reduce disk space usage for apps.

So far loving the 8.1 update and its a start in the right direction.

Has anyone figure out how to enable Assigned Access (Kiosk Mode)?

Does 8.1 share apps now and just have profile data unique to each profile? seems like it is doing something to reduce disk space usage for apps.

Windows 8 does that currently.

The free touchpad is a nice deal, but i'd probably just wait for revision 2, unless you can score a free touchpad at staples where I think the RT is 399.

I don't use the covers myself, just tablet straight up.

have the fully announced the snapdragon version or was that just a rumor for someone using snapdragon on an 8.1 device?

I've read about a possible Surface with Snapdragon 800 CPU, but so far, nothing else spec wise and release date.  Surface RT 64Gb here is still $599 with the free touch/type cover until June 30.

Windows 8 does that currently.

Then why must each user must install and update them individually?  I'm betting that with the auto-update feature, that it now is shared somehow as I'm seeing more storage as well.

I'm really liking the preview on Surface RT. For me the update went smooth, except it took forever.

Pro

-Liking the tile Sizes

-Outlook is included (non modern UI app)

- Like the 50/50 snap

-Like that you can disable auto updates

-Like the homegroup options, but doesn't seem to be working currently.

-Like all the new apps and updated Xbox Music

-Great New Tile Sizes

-Amazing Skydrive Integration

-Great New PC Settings App

Comments

-Haven't enabled the boot 2 desktop probably won't, but good to have

-There are some firmware updates so that will fix the search

-Libraries are still available, just hidden

-Noticed the  option that adds another row of Tiles

-On my bigger display (external) I have noticed that the charms appear closer the corner that you open them from using the mouse with the hot corners.

Con

-Some live bg like the dragon and robots are missing

-Took forever to install went through multiple setting up apps setting up settings screens etc.

-Bing Apps have been uninstalled by default

For the Kiosk Mode (Assigned Access ): Was looking for that for awhile too, haven't found it yet. :(

For the Kiosk Mode (Assigned Access ): Was looking for that for awhile too, haven't found it yet. :(

Don't think it's included with this build.

A day later and still impressed. Performance gains have been exponential for me. Everything is just much snappier.

Im really impressed with the Start Screen upgrades. Having the option to use the desktop wallpaper as a background, and the ability to set custom Metro colors really sets it off. I'm glad it's here to stay.

Also noticed when setting the background of the start screen as the same as the desktop, and you personalize your color (mine is orange top row third from the right, and my accent color is yellow, top row 6th from the right) then click on the user tile and click on the tile again the color sticks behind the tile. Also noticed some issues with semantic zoom in the all app view where when you zoom in again the first row aligns off the screen for awhile till it snaps back.

My performance gains after installing the 8.1 preview have been phenomenal.  I love being able to run apps splitscreen, along with being able to have two websites open simultaneously.  It's fun to show it off to iPad owners, as they're stuck with only being able to run one thing at a time, let alone run two instances of the same app at the same time.

Only problem I've encountered was trying to reinstall the Music app - wouldn't download songs, so I uninstalled it/tried to reinstall it, but it wouldn't reinstall.  I might try to "refresh" my Surface and see if that fixes it.