Sony Pictures to Make Captain Planet and the Planeteers Movie

1372372212.jpg

Sony Pictures is in final negotiations to pick up the rights to 1990s series "Captain Planet and the Planeteers" for a feature adaptation to be produced by Mark Gordon, Don Murphy and Susan Montford, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Captain Planet will be a live-action motion picture based on the environment-saving animated hero. In an effort to inform younger viewers about serious environmental issues, Turner Broadcasting partnered with DIC Enterprises in 1990 to create the world's first animated environmental series, "Captain Planet and the Planeteers." The series was about a group of young people who combine their special powers (The Planeteers) to summon Captain Planet, an environmental superhero, to battle the world's worst eco-villains.

Andrea Giannetti will oversee the project for the studio.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=105915

My main question is will Don Cheadle play Captain Planet in this movie?  That would be awesome!

And the end of the world has arrived lol.

I'm very interested to see how badly they mess this up.

I grew up watching this series and even enjoyed it. At the time, I was not into the series due to whatever messaging they were trying to push, but because it was a fun superhero cartoon with cool super powers and a catchy song. It didn't age well for me though. I can go back to other old shows and enjoy them, but this just doesn't feel the same.

The idea of a live action movie is hilarious. I only wish they could get Michael Bay to direct so that we could get tons of explosions.

I'm still more interested in Independence Day 2 lol.

My main question is will Don Cheadle play Captain Planet in this movie?  That would be awesome!

He is the only person who can pull it off :P

• Like 2

I remember this series back in the days, never got the interest in me. Now if they remaked the Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, that would be good :)

I'll be interested to see it how it turns out but Captain Planet was one of the few shows i couldn't stand as a kid.

Saturday morning was this and Defenders of the Earth. Both i couldn't stand watching.

Don Cheadle should be Captain Planet though

Damn, this brings back memories! Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Heart! GO PLANET! :laugh: