Nokia told to adopt Android before it

android-robot-google-sign.jpeg?w=618

If Nokia had a dollar for every time some pundit, analyst or tech blogger said it should switch from Windows Phone to Android, the company?s recovery would be much further along than it is right now. That didn?t stop Bernstein Research analyst Pierre Ferragu from recommending yet again in a recent note to clients that Nokia bail on Microsoft?s mobile platform and embrace the dominant Android operating system.

Nokia should ?take the pill before one cannot afford to do so anymore? and switch to Android before it?s too late, Ferregu wrote in a research note picked up by Barron?s. Continuing to rely on Windows Phone and Nokia?s ?Asha? feature phone platform while cash dwindles is an exercise in futility, according to the analyst.

?Nokia should consider it?s [sic] near term future,? Ferregu wrote. ?The company is facing two structural challenges: its exposure to the disappearing feature phone market and the lack of traction of Windows phones. Both could cost Nokia a lot of cash in the near term, in restructuring, marketing / distribution support, and operational losses, which means it could be too late to address the problem in a  couple of years. From that perspective, a decision concerning a new platform strategy appears urgent. Better to take the pill before one cannot afford to do so anymore. We wouldn?t be surprised to see Nokia adopting Android as its new low-end platform by year end.?

As long as they keep selling more with each new quarter then this argument will finally get dropped.  5.6million in Q1 is a nice step, now if they can do 7million or more for Q2 then you'll start to hear about this android switch less and less. 

I find it funny how LG sells 10million in a quarter and it's talked up like the best thing ever, I wonder if the same will be said for Nokia when they finally hit that double digit milestone with the Lumia range?

That's like trading in my Coupe for a Garbage Truck...

This idiot fails to realize Microsoft is there to back them up.

• Like 2

Obviously Nokia is doing something right with their phone designs if Android analysts are constantly trying to get them to switch. 

Right now Nokia is the dominant phone maker for WP, for Android they would be going up against Samsung / HTC which they do not want. 

It is the OS that is the problem and why Nokia has not been gaining much traction. (and no, I am not saying Nokia needs to go strictly android) MS needs to do something to appeal to more people. And like I said before, app support will go a long way to improving things.

Back them up how.

It is the OS that is the problem and why Nokia has not been gaining much traction. (and no, I am not saying Nokia needs to go strictly android) MS needs to do something to appeal to more people. And like I said before, app support will go a long way to improving things.

Back them up how.

They can back them up financially. ANd just what about app support do people need? There's apps coming onto the market daily. The big first party apps are already there, and have been for some time.

Since when have Microsoft backed up anyone? The moment Nokia start going under Microsoft won't hesitate to cut them off like a diseased limb.

• Like 2

Actually a Google Edition Pureview Nokia wouldn't be bad, they don't need to compete against giants like Samsung since they have the Camera stuff others don't have and that gives them an edge. Securing a portion of the marketshare shouldn't be difficult. People still have faith in Nokia, it's just the 'Windows' in the name that kinda spoils it since most people associate it to the disastrous Windows Mobile.

Since when have Microsoft backed up anyone? The moment Nokia start going under Microsoft won't hesitate to cut them off like a diseased limb.

Does Apple not ring a bell?

• Like 2

They can back them up financially. ANd just what about app support do people need? There's apps coming onto the market daily. The big first party apps are already there, and have been for some time.

How financially would MS backup Nokia? Give them money? I don't see that happening. MS has invested in Nokia already, just like it did Apple, but that doesnt seem to be helping. but who knows, every company goes through this at one point. Sure they will bounce back. They just put all they eggs in to one basket while most other companies are doing WP and Android. Adding android sure wouldnt hurt them any.

Vine, Mint, and Instagram are a couple apps I can think of that are popular and not available yet and I am sure there are more if I would look hard enough.. And I am talking official apps, not 3rd party apps. In most cases an app is released for the iPhone first and devs have been quicker on getting them on Android. Just seems that WP8 is not a big deal to lots. And there are many links saying this by doing a simple search. I am not saying things are not getting better, but apps was a big problem with Android at one time as well. But as soon as apps started coming out, android started see more attention from users. People like variety. You may have all the apps that you need, but not everyone uses the same. I use Mint and if I was considering switching, that would be a deal breaker for me. I dont think Nokia should go Android, at least not exclusively. Wouldn't hurt to expand but that is just my opinion. It is just slow, like any new platform, and my app support comment goes along with that.

Actually a Google Edition Pureview Nokia wouldn't be bad, they don't need to compete against giants like Samsung since they have the Camera stuff others don't have and that gives them an edge. Securing a portion of the marketshare shouldn't be difficult. People still have faith in Nokia, it's just the 'Windows' in the name that kinda spoils it since most people associate it to the disastrous Windows Mobile.

They do make great hardware. Dont think anyone can deny that.

You mean take the pill and just end it now instead of riding it out? Because going Android would be suicide. The only Android phones that sells well is Samsung's Galaxy range. Even the much praised HTC One comes nowhere near, just selling about 5 million units. Nokia's Windows Phones are at least doing better than that, with 5.6 million Lumia handsets sold in the first quarter. That was before the release of its lower end 520, which sold out multiple times, and its new flagship 925 models. Things are only going to get better with the release of EOS.

• Like 2

Does Apple not ring a bell?

I don't know all of the details but I doubt that Microsoft did that without some anticipation of gain for themselves. Microsoft's history tells me that they're not an overly charitable corporation.

I don't understand why all the hate. If Nokia produced an Android device based on the Lumia 920/928, it would be a win for consumers. Nokia brings a lot to the table, and by introducing Android devices, it could help them financially. The fanboy mentality needs to stop - if these companies fight for users/market share, they will only provide us with better products.

• Like 3

I don't understand why all the hate. If Nokia produced an Android device based on the Lumia 920/928, it would be a win for consumers. Nokia brings a lot to the table, and by introducing Android devices, it could help them financially. The fanboy mentality needs to stop - if these companies fight for users/market share, they will only provide us with better products.

It would ruin their strategic partnership with Microsoft for one. Two, Nokia would OWE money to Microsoft for each device sold. Thirdly, it would put them up against Samsung, who owns the market, drawing out more money with little to no return. Last, there would be absolutely no branding to it whatsoever, reducing consumer interest.

There's nothing to be gained with Android. The Android market is done and over with. Nokia would be fighting a war on two fronts with the resources to only fight one. Do you take the battlefield dominated by other players, or do you take the empty path, and make an new image for yourself?