Slow speeds on Synology NAS and Windows 8 PC

Both Windows pc and NAS are hooked up to my ASUS AC66U router via cat5e cables
Been moving movies and files all day (drag/drop into file station) and averaging 5-12MB/s

Is this normal speed?

My MB, ASUS p8z68-v/gen3 has gigabyte nic card, its set to that/full duplex in windows 8. Jumbo Frames is off on it, router, and the NAS. Seems the speeds are not very fast at all. I doubt my Bitdefender Security suite (AV/Firewall) is contributing to this slow speed. Suggestions?

So your router and pc are gig - but what about the nas? What is the model number on your nas?

Just because your pc or nas has gig interfaces does not mean they are connected at gig - do the lights on the routers lan ports show gig speeds or 100?

5 to 12MBps would be normal for a 100mbit connection.

And just because your a fan of your AV software does not mean it does not slow down transfers. If your scanning the file(s) as you transfer them, there is going to be a performance hit no matter what AV it is. How big of hit is the question..

Normally gig speeds should be over the 30MBps for sure.. Upwards of 90, so here is quick drag and drop of a file to my File server

post-14624-0-57907400-1372507324.png

So while speeds your seeing are normal for 100mbit connection, they are no where close to what you should be seeing on a gig network. No jumbo frames on my network either, they are more trouble then they are worth in a home setup.

Try a robocopy of a large file - this will give you an exact number and time to work with. I don't always believe the dialogs reported speeds ;) Especially if your doing a large number of files. So pick 1 large file as your test.

post-14624-0-58999300-1372507881.png

The Nas is a Synology DS213. Seems like with larger files, I get better speeds. The low speeds might have been due to smaller size files. Thanks.

Better speeds such as?? Are you in the 30MBps plus range, if not something is not right..

I have a DS213+ and I get around 90-95MBps through my Gigabit switch.  I tried connecting everything through my BT Home Hub 4, but only one of the ports is Gigabit for some reason, the others are 100Mbps, so the speeds dropped to around 10MBps. I'm now back on my gigabit switch and all is well again.

I have a DS213, with jumbo frames enabled (set to 9014 bytes on NAS & desktop), and I'm averaging 80-90 MB/s transferring an ISO file (3.1GB) to the NAS. 

^and without jumbo you would be seeing the same I bet. As you saw in my tests I posted, and I am not running jumbo. Do you have other devices on the network, do they ALL support jumbo?

I found little use of jumbo in a home setup, just rarely any point - not all devices nics are going to support the same size frames if jumbo at all. My printer for example sure does not support jumbo.

Kindle and IPad sure don't - so little point in having that on the nas if wanting to stream video/music from it to those types of devices.

Your internet sure does not support jumbo.. So it comes into play when you move files between your pc and nas, and will save you a few cpu cycles at best.. Its not going to make any sort of drastic speed difference.

^and without jumbo you would be seeing the same I bet. As you saw in my tests I posted, and I am not running jumbo. Do you have other devices on the network, do they ALL support jumbo?

I found little use of jumbo in a home setup, just rarely any point - not all devices nics are going to support the same size frames if jumbo at all. My printer for example sure does not support jumbo.

Kindle and IPad sure don't - so little point in having that on the nas if wanting to stream video/music from it to those types of devices.

Your internet sure does not support jumbo.. So it comes into play when you move files between your pc and nas, and will save you a few cpu cycles at best.. Its not going to make any sort of drastic speed difference.

Without jumbo frames, it was averaging 50 MB/s, so I'd say it made a huge difference - the file transfer took much less time with jumbo frames enabled, copying it to a different folder (same ISO file). Everything on the wired network supports jumbo frame, as they all run 1Gbps. All the wireless devices (Printer/2x laptops/3x tablets/1x phone) probably don't. Sorry to threadjack OP

"Everything on the wired network supports jumbo frame, as they all run 1Gbps."

So what if they are gig -- that does not mean they support the same sized jumbo frames.. Or even that they support it, jumbo is not part of the standard..

IEEE etherenet standard only support 1500

I find it very hard to believe that you basically doubled your speed.. That is just not in line with any benchmark I have seen.

So all your nics allow setting to 9014 size?

For curiosity sake could you post doing a ping with DF set and large mtu say

ping -f -l 8972 ipaddressofyournas

from your desktop.

And what does output of "netsh int ipv4 show sub" show on your PC

C:\Windows\System32>netsh int ipv4 show sub

MTU MediaSenseState Bytes In Bytes Out Interface

------ --------------- --------- --------- -------------

4294967295 1 0 183104 Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

1500 1 55296671 3776029 Local

1500 2 21651040 8583048 openvpn

As you can see my mtu is 1500, so your saying yours is 9014?

Yep, I know the spec. doesn't call for jumbo frames - I could've worded that better. It's set to 9014 on the desktop and NAS, not sure about the other desktop at the moment. 

I am wary of the result - it could've been the HDD cache, but I did notice a faster speed when I switched to jumbo frame (9014 size) vs. disabling jumbo frames. 

post-182178-0-68296900-1372618529.png

Desktop ethernet adapter:

post-182178-0-21433300-1372618709.png

Synology DS213 NAS network setup: 

post-182178-0-00233500-1372618754.png

Thanks for the details -- yup clearly running jumbo there..

So if you have some time, quick robocopy test using jumbo, and then change to standard and recopy same file will give us some actual numbers to work with.

Where only thing changed is the mtu from 9k to 1500

And would love to see copy of files to and from your other boxes that don't have jumbo enabled like your wireless devices where you in jumbo and then not in jumbo. Etc..