Quitting my job without giving notice

Hi all. I started a new job on June 3rd so have just finished my 4th week. Unfortunately the job is not as advertised and they are asking much more of me than I agreed to. I finally had enough on Friday so when I got home I spoke with my partner about quitting. I have now decided to quit on Monday morning by contacting my boss and telling him I am leaving for personal reasons and will be unable to work my notice period (1 weeks notice as I am still in my probation period).

I have no intention of using this job on my CV or for any references so I am not concerned with burning bridges as this job was a last resort job I took in an industry I will never work in again (thank god!).

I was just wondering what things I should watch out for that could come back to bite me on the ass. I know it is unprofessional to quit without giving notice however due to some health issues returning for my weeks notice would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Also as I have only been there 4 weeks I know very little still and will be of almost no value to them.

Any opinions or experiences would be very welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

If you're still in your probationary period that probably means the employer can send you home the same day. I doubt it will be a problem unless you signed a contract where it's stated otherwise?

Good luck!

• Like 2

All I can say from my own experience is that try to stay friendly with your soon-to-be ex boss. Don't go all nuclear on him/her and just calmly explain or tell them that you can't work there anymore for this or that reason, if they have any sense they'll understand and will also be polite to you :)

If the job isn't as advertised and your still on your probation period, it's best to explain it to them and they may just let you leave on the day.

If your leaving because there's too much work, it probably be better for them if you left sooner rather than later.

Either way, you shouldn't be burning any bridges as this boss might be best friends with the boss of your next job.

Thanks for the replies.

My contract states that I am to give a weeks notice in my probation period so I am giving him a weeks notice but I will self certify sick that week so will not be going back to work.

I am leaving because he is an ###### and treats everyone like ###### and I just refuse to be treated like that. This is why I cannot complete my weeks notice period. If he acts like he does to me one more time I might just snap and punch him. He is that much of an ######. The two people before me also quit without notice. The first was a guy who had stayed 4 months but then never turned up again (didn't even call to resign!) the second was a girl who quit after two weeks. I can understand why they did. It is the most awful place I have ever worked. The guy is just nasty in every way possible. There are only three other employees who have all been there for several years and just accept that is how he is. I feel so worry for them :(

I'd give the weeks notice then just show up and loaf about. 9/10 once you give the notice they'll either just show you the door on the spot, or forget you even work there.

I'd give the weeks notice then just show up and loaf about. 9/10 once you give the notice they'll either just show you the door on the spot, or forget you even work there.

I would do this but I honestly cannot see this guy ever again or I might snap. I also have some health issues that he is making worse every minute I see him. I swear I will beat the life out of him if he speaks to me the way he has done this week. I had to walk out several times as I wanted to hit him. He is racist, sexist, just a bigot in every way possible and thinks he is better than everyone. He is a pig. I detest him.

This is my letter of resignation that I will email to him this evening as he is not in the office tomorrow so there is no point turning up to give it to nobody!

Boss's Name,

Please accept my resignation from The Company to be affective July 8th 2013.

I regret that my current state of health hinders me from discharging my duties during my one week notice period.

I have left my access fob and office key on Another Person's desk.

You can post my P45 to the address you have for me.

I request that you do not contact me by phone as I am unable to answer.

Sincerely,

OrsenPike

I have worked under someone completely intolerable.  My problem was that I didn't realise it as soon as you.  Please do what you need to get out now, because it is genuinely soul destroying.  Don't burn bridges, but don't put it on your CV either (explain it away as a piece of freelance or something).

The letter above is perfectly valid except for 2 things:

1) Saying not to contact you - you know they will try.

2) It's a lie (of sorts).  Be honest.  I believe you are acting with integrity, so stand by it!

I have worked under someone completely intolerable.  My problem was that I didn't realise it as soon as you.  Please do what you need to get out now, because it is genuinely soul destroying.  Don't burn bridges, but don't put it on your CV either (explain it away as a piece of freelance or something).

The letter above is perfectly valid except for 2 things:

1) Saying not to contact you - you know they will try.

2) It's a lie (of sorts).  Be honest.  I believe you are acting with integrity, so stand by it!

I know they will try to contact me but I honestly cannot talk to the man without making myself ill. I suffer from some mental health issues which this job has just made worse when I was doing very well.

It is a half-truth not a lie. I am unwell and have a hospital appointment on Tuesday. I would be calling in sick this week because I am unwell. I just figured it was better to kill two birds with one stone and get out before I lose my sanity.

I seriously doubt if they will try to contact you after you have quit and even if they did, and it was me, that would be when I would go all ballistic on him. Sounds like he DESERVES to be treated at least once like he treats everyone else. There is absolutely no reason not to treat another human with the same respect you would expect and vice versa.

I've been there and done at a couple jobs. Never felt a bit of guilt about it for even a second and in fact, I think I felt even better after going bonkers on the a**holes!!

Good luck!! :)

I seriously doubt if they will try to contact you after you have quit and even if they did, and it was me, that would be when I would go all ballistic on him. Sounds like he DESERVES to be treated at least once like he treats everyone else. There is absolutely no reason not to treat another human with the same respect you would expect and vice versa.

I've been there and done at a couple jobs. Never felt a bit of guilt about it for even a second and in fact, I think I felt even better after going bonkers on the a**holes!!

Good luck!! :)

Yeah I will admit a part of me is happy he will get the shaft tomorrow morning. He deserves it. What I don't feel good about is that he will more than likely take it out on the other three that work there :( I know he would do anyway and I cannot stop that but it does suck. The others really need to leave. I can't understand why they stay. They are unhappy as well. I think it must be like people who stay in abusive relationships? They want to leave but feel they can't for one reason or another. Whatever the reason is it is so sad as they are nice people. I survived 4 weeks, god knows how they have survived several years :/

I meant to cast no aspersions.  I'm arguing with you, not against you buddy :)

yeah I know :) I was just explaining for anyone else reading this topic is all. I have never had a job where it was destroying my soul before but now I understand. I used to think some people just hated their jobs for silly reasons but people in situations similar to this, god I feel so sorry for them :(

Not sure of your location but in the UK if you're within your probation period you have as much right to quit as they do to fire you, no matter what the contract says.

Couple of things, hand the access fob back to the boss and ask for a signature to say you've done as such, do it face to face, take your partner or a friend with you if this guy really is an arse.

Reason to get the fob signed off is, as happened to a friend of mine before, they may claim they never had it back from you and send you a bill for it plus any things that '"went missing" after you left.

Good luck.

Not sure of your location but in the UK if you're within your probation period you have as much right to quit as they do to fire you, no matter what the contract says.

Couple of things, hand the access fob back to the boss and ask for a signature to say you've done as such, do it face to face, take your partner or a friend with you if this guy really is an arse.

Reason to get the fob signed off is, as happened to a friend of mine before, they may claim they never had it back from you and send you a bill for it plus any things that '"went missing" after you left.

Good luck.

Yeah I thought about the fob. I have left a note saying it is with building security. too late to do it face to face. plus he will not be in the office tomorrow which is why i am going to email him tonight with my resignation. he doesnt come to the office in person much. just calls and bullies people over the phone.

If the building security is not related to the company you worked for then this should be good enough.

nope they are the security for the building in which the company rents some office space :)

So if they try and say I didn't return it I can just get the security company to see if it has been used since I left, if it has then it proves I don't have it :)

nope they are the security for the building in which the company rents some office space :)

So if they try and say I didn't return it I can just get the security company to see if it has been used since I left, if it has then it proves I don't have it :)

Good stuff!

Make sure you get someone at the security desk to sign in back in though so you have evidence it was handed back.

Regarding your letter, don't worry about stating you're ill as you have no obligation to work a grace period if you're still in your period of probation. Many people don't realise that this is meant as a probation period for both yourself and the company. If the contract states you must work a grace period, this is wrong and they have no legal right to enforce this.

Basically in the letter just put 

"Dear so and so,

I'm writing to let you know that i am resigning my position of [insert position] at [insert company name] as of [insert date]

I have returned the key fob to [insert name] at building security on [insert date].

Many thanks for the opportunity to work within the company.

Yours,

[sign name]"

Polite and to the point and covers your arse in case this guy really is the idiot you think he is.

I used to be in charge of hiring and firing for a chain of shops a few years back.

• Like 1

Good stuff!

Make sure you get someone at the security desk to sign in back in though so you have evidence it was handed back.

Regarding your letter, don't worry about stating you're ill as you have no obligation to work a grace period if you're still in your period of probation. Many people don't realise that this is meant as a probation period for both yourself and the company. If the contract states you must work a grace period, this is wrong and they have no legal right to enforce this.

Basically in the letter just put 

"Dear so and so,

I'm writing to let you know that i am resigning my position of [insert position] at [insert company name] as of [insert date]

I have returned the key fob to [insert name] at building security on [insert date].

Many thanks for the opportunity to work within the company.

Yours,

[sign name]"

Polite and to the point and covers your arse in case this guy really is the idiot you think he is.

I used to be in charge of hiring and firing for a chain of shops a few years back.

Yeah I looked into the legal side of it and it looks as if I am totally within my right to just quit and never go back as it is a probation period :) My contract says I have to give a weeks notice during my probation but that is not legally enforceable from what I have read on UK employment law websites :) I have removed the bit about being off sick.

So now what?  Did they attempt to contact you?  What are you plans from here on?

My boss called this morning and asked my reasons. I did not answer but picked up his voicemail and sent him an email with my reasons. I am yet to here back.

As for the future. I am looking for jobs :)

• Like 1