Question

So, I've been doing a lot of traveling in the Middle East and a little in SE Asia and want to find a reliable, free VPN package that will allow me to 1)view US-based content and 2) get around local filters. Most of the ones I've found charge a monthly fee and most of the free ones seem to have either ridiculously restricted speed or serve a ton of ads (doesn't that defeat the point of having the privacy of a VPN?) Anyone have any recommendations?

15 answers to this question

I know you said "free", but I have tested about 10 different VPNs.. the free ones are slow, and won't be about to stream any video(if that is what you wanted to do as well)..

I heavily recommend you looking at ipvanish.. Out of the many VPNs I tried.. they are the only ones that give awesome speeds.. HideMyAss was the worst.. With IPVansish I can get about 20-30Meg down and with HideMyAss I can only get 2-6Meg Down.. 

Do you have home connection in US currently - if so there is no reason to pay for other vpn services. Just vpn into your home, Simple enough to run a vpn server, if your router does not support doing it. You can fire up a VM on any computer and use say the openvpn virtual appliance.

For that matter anything running linux should have openssh installed, you can jut tunnel through ssh as a poor mans vpn. Fire up a linux VM.. Forward 22 on your router to it, or if openvpn I use 443 tcp vs default 1194 udp since that is almost always open..

The ssh solution can be used to a webhost even, I have ssh access to my webhost - and I have a $15 a year lowend box that again can be used as vpn tunnel if need be. Your never going to find a vpn provider for $15 a year ;)

Limit of the lowend box is 500GB a month xfer, but that is quite a bit and could be a viable solution, etc.

Or its quite possible this is just some spammer that will come back in a bit and say they found this GREAT free vpn solution - here is link, etc..

• Like 3

"if I were to set up a home VPN as you described, would I be able to access it from abroad?"

Yeah - why would you think it would not be available?

The whole point of the public internet is for IPs on the internet to be available - Is it possible that some firewall your behind to block specific protocols or netblocks, sure - which is why you would run it over https - which is always open if internet available.

But if you are behind a restrictive firewall, then sure it is possible they could be blocking access to the netblock your wanting to access - but its more likely that they would block access to known vpn services network/ips vs some random netblock used by your typical residentual isp.

edit:  Hmmm I guess the post with the "bite me" link was removed?

So, I've been doing a lot of traveling in the Middle East and a little in SE Asia and want to find a reliable, free VPN package that will allow me to 1)view US-based content and 2) get around local filters. Most of the ones I've found charge a monthly fee and most of the free ones seem to have either ridiculously restricted speed or serve a ton of ads (doesn't that defeat the point of having the privacy of a VPN?) Anyone have any recommendations?

i suggest you ignore free services go for paid vpn service like purevpn or hidemyass these two are really awesome vpn providers i personally using purevpn service or some time vpn4all also but purevpn is much better than others providers i got purevpn service is here bestvpnservice.com here are lots of user reviews with purevpn pros and cons so i suggest you try this service i hope you satisfied this product and its services

Do you have home connection in US currently - if so there is no reason to pay for other vpn services. Just vpn into your home, Simple enough to run a vpn server, if your router does not support doing it. You can fire up a VM on any computer and use say the openvpn virtual appliance.

For that matter anything running linux should have openssh installed, you can jut tunnel through ssh as a poor mans vpn. Fire up a linux VM.. Forward 22 on your router to it, or if openvpn I use 443 tcp vs default 1194 udp since that is almost always open..

The ssh solution can be used to a webhost even, I have ssh access to my webhost - and I have a $15 a year lowend box that again can be used as vpn tunnel if need be. Your never going to find a vpn provider for $15 a year ;)

Limit of the lowend box is 500GB a month xfer, but that is quite a bit and could be a viable solution, etc.

Or its quite possible this is just some spammer that will come back in a bit and say they found this GREAT free vpn solution - here is link, etc..

& Here is that guy(One post Wonder), who found the Great VPN solution but not free... lol

Looks like the mods didn't appreciate my bit of sarcasm... I may consider the home solution in the future -- once I have a stable residence in the States. From what I've seen, the only countries blocking VPN servers are Iran and China, and I don't see myself going to either of those places in the near future. Anyone know anything about SumRando? Looks like they are a paid provider offering a 10 GB free plan. Maybe more legit than traditional free VPNs?

You don't need a place in the states, you only need a connection.. So for example my $15 a year lowend vps, is 500GB not enough for you a month? Shoot my home connection with comcast is suppose to be capped at 250GB ;) But you want to use a Free 10GB plan?

You can not afford $15 a year?

So as suggested, you come back with a link to some FREE vpn ;) SumRando -- hehehee

I personally would never in a MILLION years use a FREE vpn service -- so I am worried about privacy, so I should route ALL my traffic through someone giving away bandwidth for free?? Why would they do this? Tor might be an option, but its SLOW!!! Most free vpns are going to be dog slow!! If they work at all.

If you really need a IP in the states, then just get a lowend vps - here for example

post-14624-0-71347900-1373036516.png

Click Click - couple of minutes you have your VPS, Click Click pick your image to install

post-14624-0-93402100-1373036761.png

In 5 minutes your up and running on VPN connection with exit IP in the states.. How could it be any easier or cheaper (cheaper would be leveraging your already paid for connection like your house when your traveling)

If what your after is how to setup a low cost vpn connection, more than happy to help. If what your after is to peddle some "FREE" site your best to go elsewhere.

• Like 2

Not here to "peddle some 'FREE' site". Simply asking for an opinion. The VPS option is pretty intriguing... What's the speed like on the $15/year plan?

I use Tor for stuff like that.  If you've never used and configured it, they even offer a downloadable "browser package" that contains a web browser pre-configured to use their service, although there is no guarantee you'll get a US IP, but I haven't had any issues with it.

https://www.torproject.org/

BudMan, I really like the idea of a VPS! Didn't strike me that I could do that!! :D

What kind of speeds can I expect though? Will it be fast enough to stream videos in at least high quality if not HD? I am on a 25 mbps plan over here.

Edit: Just saw your reply, NICE!! :D

You can try VPN Gate- an academic project created by a Japanese Ph.D. student. It has taken off rapidly since it launched a couple of months ago. All you need is download the VPN gate client software and choose a VPN server from its server list. It is free and Open source. If you can afford $5/mo, I recommend you use paid VPN for better security. There is also free version of hotspot shield vpn but it comes with ad which i won't suggest.

So the company I am using sells out really quick on their lowend stuff, I had to watch their tweet feed for a few couple of weeks before I got mine ;)

But there are plenty of lowend vps out there, you don't need a lot of power or storage to route packets ;)

These are not seed type boxes, don't expect to route p2p traffic through them.. Big NO NO, at least for one I am using.. I use it for testing connectivity issues, like to be able to traceroute from other location in the US. Sure can use it for vpn for testing issues with possible block on ip or netblock.. I use it to send test emails from, since my comcast IP is blocked by many isps as dynamic and shouldn't be sending emails, etc.

There are plenty of legit uses for it, but if your looking to circumvent isp p2p or hide from p2p, etc. No US based vps would not be good idea. Yes in this instance it can be used for someone looking to "circumvent" a restriction on geo based IP, etc. Which is if you really are a traveler, etc. Just use your US "home" connection while your on the road..

I in no way mean this thread to become some guide for users to circumvent geo ip based restrictions.

You can try VPN Gate- an academic project created by a Japanese Ph.D. student.

It's a very good resource. I usually use their list of VPN.  Only one problem, they aren't live too long. You should download updated VPN configuraton files often.