CodeKnight - Site in development

Question

Well, its been in development for about 3 months so far. If I could have your views, comments, and what-not about it, I'd be most honoured ;) Its basically a site where users can upload code snippets (for example, a piece of code that take a screenshot in Delphi, or a piece of code that gets laptop battery status under Windows XP/2000 in C++).

It isn't like other code sites, where you have complete sources - this is a very low-level code site, where you can get the actual smaller parts needed to make larger parts (code snippets). As such, it will be useful to those who are fluent in a language, and wish to develop the own code, while keeping the time it takes to a minimum. All submitted code will be free to use, with no licenses attached, and any users submitting code will get points based on the qualuty of their submission.

http://codeknight.net/

(if it dosen't work, NTL is either playing up, or my PC is off for the night)

Thanks ;)

Edited by Dessimat0r

The red is a big no, stick with the blue. I like the blue alot! And make sure you promote this site as much as possible, I have a feeling it will get big ;) If you need any graphical help, or something of the sort. I can help out (Y). Like I said, I think this site has a future.

Heh, thanks

I'm worried about transporting it across to a real server when its almost done, in the fear that everything will break ;) Although that will be in about 6 months time, if not more.

At the moment, the only functional sections of CodeKnight are as follows:

Home (comments need fixing, need admin bit to edit news), Members (but not edit profile), Register (fully functional)

Anyway, here are a few shots from the admin section which only admins can access:

post-31-1068945619.jpg

Remember that you can help me test it out by registering... May involve admin or mod privilages, so you can help me test some admin or mod stuff ;)

Remember that you can help me test it out by registering... May involve admin or mod privilages, so you can help me test some admin or mod stuff ;)

I already tried registering. This little error came up...

* The first MySQL query failed. Please contact the adminstrator.

* Registration failed for some reason. Please contact the administrator.

Thanks, you've just helped me already ;) I'm on it :D

Edit: Should be fixed now. Am I right in thinking that you entered a personal quote? I forgot to put quotes around the variable in the MySQL query, thus breaking it up.

Thanks, you've just helped me already ;) I'm on it :D

Edit: Should be fixed now. Am I right in thinking that you entered a personal quote? I forgot to put quotes around the variable in the MySQL query, thus breaking it up.

The first attempt I filled everything in. Second attempt I filled nothing in, still was no go. So I'll try it now.

Ooh, thanks ;) Bit too early in this stage of development tho to be transferring it about ;) Out of interest, what version of PHP and MySQL does the server run?

Also, the website should be back up now if anyone wants another look at it, I didn't really get that many comments on the style and design.

And the registration bit is back up:

Thank you for registering! We have now dispatched an e-mail to your e-mail address to confirm that it is valid. You should follow the instructions in it carefully.

Your membership information has been e-mailed to you at test@test.org! Please check it and follow the instructions.

Like I said, your site contains both Blue and Red on each webpage. I would strongly suggest sticking with it all being blue. And the admin/mod area being red. Apart from the the design is freakin awesome!

i register and after i activated my account i got his msg...

Thank you for confirming your e-mail address! Now that registration is complete, you may login using the login bar, which is just under the title at the top of the page. If you forget your password, you can use the 'Forgot Your Password?' link that is also in the login bar.

Once again, the staff at CodeKnight welcome you as a new member.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\FoxServ\www\CodeKnight\smtp.inc.php on line 1018

It looks like the NTL server wasn't responding at the exact moment that the e-mail was being sent. Anyway, just so you didn't miss anything, here is the e-mail that should have been sent ;)

// Let's mail the user!
  //$header = "From: CodeKnight<Dessimat0r@ntlworld.com>\n X-Mailer: PHP/" . phpversion();
  $subject = "CodeKnight: Registration Completed!";
  $message = "Thank you for registering at CodeKnight, the biggest code snippet archive
on the Internet. After logging in, you will have all the benefits of being a
member of CodeKnight, such as being able to vote for other people's code
snippets, as well as being able to post your own.

You will also have the possibility of becoming a moderator based upon how
many points you have, and your general attitude towards other members.

Your username and password will have been sent in the confirmation e-mail you
have already recieved. You should keep your password safe, and remember that
nobody from CodeKnight should ever ask for it.

Username: $memberinfo[MemberNick]
Password: N/A (see confirmation request e-mail)

Your password has been MD5 encrypted in the database for security. This
means that you can still use your original password to login, but it is
almost impossible to obtain your original password from the database.

If you have forgotten your password, you must use the forgotten password
link on CodeKnight to generate a new password, which will then be e-mailed
to you.

The e-mail address you used to register with CodeKnight will *never* be
used to send junk mail to. We are not an evil company...;)

.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Tip: To login, use the username and password boxes underneath the CodeKnight|
|     logo.                                                                  |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Thanks!
CodeKnight Staff

(* This is an automated response, please do not reply! *)";