• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How To Network My Desktop and Laptop?

Question

American Ninja    4

Hello,

I was wondering what do I all need from this list of hardware http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.g...1&Continue.y=12 to network my desktop and my new laptop together?

If someone could help me out I would appreciate it as I have no idea what I need lol

Thanks in advanced,

Aaron :)

16 answers to this question

ggareis    0

do you already have an ethernet card in your desktop?

Big Daddy    0

If you have an ethernet card in your desktop and ethernet port in your laptop then all you really need is a cross cable to network both of them together.

Evolution    16

or is you really just wanted to transfer files from one computer to the other, then all you really need is a female-to-female or maybe it's a male-to-male USB cable and setup direct connection. Now of course if you really want fast speed or wireless than that's different.

American Ninja    4

how can I check to see if I have a ethernet card on my desktop?

ggareis    0

there will be a card in the back of your computer that has an imput that looks like a telephone imput but bigger, and the same with your laptop if it has one.

American Ninja    4
or is you really just wanted to transfer files from one computer to the other, then all you really need is a female-to-female or maybe it's a male-to-male USB cable and setup direct connection. Now of course if you really want fast speed or wireless than that's different.

I want to share files and share a internet connection etc... Also I want a wireless setup for my laptop :)

ggareis    0

oh well that changes everything... you should have said so from the beggining

American Ninja    4
there will be a card in the back of your computer that has an imput that looks like a telephone imput but bigger, and the same with your laptop if it has one.

my desktop does not have a ethernet card but my laptop does.

rmorris003    16

Well if you are connected to cable or dsl you have an ethernet card in your computer, also its refferd to as a network card.

American Ninja    4

i have a dail up connection. So what do I all need to get these two networked? I would like a wireless network setup :)

American Ninja    4

bump?

mipra    0

1.Get a wireless router, you can find any wireless router you want. Dlink(DI-614+), Linsys, Netgear..bla..bla..bla....if you want to know the difference, ask the store staff. If they dont know...no worry...we will tell u here :)

2. Make sure that the main computer (that connects to the internet with either Dial up connection, DSL or Cable) is connected WITH CABLE to the router. When I say cable, that means a CAT5 ethernet cable. Make sure that you have the PCI card in your computer to plug in the ethernet cable. If you dont know what an ethernet card is, try to look back at your computer...find a port (hole ;) ) that is pretty much like the phone port but it's bigger. So, to test it, just take ur phone cord and try to plug it in..if you CANNOT plug it in because the port is too big...then you have ethernet card. If you CAN plug it in..then...it's a dial up modem.

3. After you have got the wireless router, you can get back here and we will explain you what to do next.

Good luck. Again..if you have any question...ask the tech in the store...if they dont know....we here at neowin will surely help u out :D .

mipra    0

One more thing, try to get the latest wireless router if you can. It can cost you as low as $59 to get the G standard (can transfer data up to 54mbps) of Wireless router. But, if you're tight in budget...try to use the B standard (data transfer up to 11Mbps).

Note:

1. http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cf...hreadid=1173626 is a good place to start for a hot bargain.

2. Mbps means Mega Byte per Second

mipra    0

darn it...I always forget to tick the "track this topic button" well..my bad...the last post...hehe

dr3w2k3    0
Mbps means Mega Byte per Second

Actually, Mbps means Megabits per second...MBps means Megabytes per second :ninja: