1 kid dead, 2 injured after parents lock them in hot car

A two-year-old girl is dead and her sibling and cousin are in critical condition after her parents left the children in a hot car in India because they didn't want to be bothered with the youngsters while shopping. :huh:

Police say Ishtaq Khan and his wife, Unnas locked their two children?two-year-old Mahima and three-year-old Parwana-- and their five-year old nephew, Farhan, in a closed car and went shopping in Ramgarh town, The Times of India reports.

"When the couple didn't return even after an hour, the panicked children started banging on the windows in desperation. Some passersby gathered there and saw the children. They tried to break open the window. However, Khan and his wife (were) also reached by then. By that time Mahima had fainted," said the officer.

Upon returning to the car, Khan opened the door and the  rushed the kids to a hospital, where doctors declared Mahima dead.  

Police told The Times that Parwana and Farhan were admitted to the ICU at a hospital in Ramgarh but due to the severity of their conditions, they were moved to a hospital in Alwar, where they remain in serious condition.

Khan told officers he thought the kids would bother him if he brought them shopping.

"He didn't want them to roam around in the market so he locked them in the car,? said a police officer.

Police didn't say what charges the parents will face.

source

What did they think would happen?  Also, if the kids were smart enough to bang on the windows...why didn't they try to open the doors?  I'm going to save my remarks on that country as it'll result in a warning, but this is shameful. Hope they go to jail for a very long time.

India has cars ?

Didn't you see the Top Gear: India special? LOL tuk tuk ftw.

• Like 3

Here in Ohio if they see kids locked in a car and the children are unable to open the windows, you can break the window and a judge will throw it out if they try to sue you, and no matter what the drive of the vehicle that locked them in is prosecuted for Child endangerment. 

India has cars ?

No, they are still riding elephants and use banana leaves to cover themselve up. Oh they also also rotary dialup internet connection to provide technical support. Their nuclear weapons are made with wooden outer shell and vaccum tube based IC. Have you been living in cave for past 60 years though that you needed this update. 

^ I thought they rode those sacred cows. :p

There are no sacred cows in india.  In fact, the cow is just about the only thing that ISN'T sacred in India...

There are no sacred cows in india.  In fact, the cow is just about the only thing that ISN'T sacred in India...

depends on what part in India you are in

depends on what part in India you are in

No it doesn't. The cow is not a religious icon that Hindu's worship. It has a certain respect due to the many uses it has, and because of that they do not eat beef, but it's NOT a religious object of worship.

And once again bad parenting is to blame.   If you didn't want your kids to run around in the supermarket either

1. Hire a babysitter
  2. Only one parent goes shopping and one stays with the kids.

Bad parenting, why didn't they leave the windows open for their kids?

I'm going to save my remarks on that country as it'll result in a warning, but this is shameful.

What's shameful is that you chose to NOT hide your thinly veiled remarks and make a tragic case a racial one.  This could have (and has) happen anywhere in the world - bad parents are bad parents no matter what nationality.

http://ggweather.com/heat/hyperthermia2013.htm

• Like 4

SirEvan the car was locked, maybe the kids have tried to unlock the doors before banging?

I thought of this until child proof locks where the doors can only be opened from the outside.  But why did they not climb to the front doors?  My 5 year old can do that, even my 3 year old can.  Still that on excuse to leave them in the car at all. 

I thought of this until child proof locks where the doors can only be opened from the outside.  But why did they not climb to the front doors?  My 5 year old can do that, even my 3 year old can.  Still that on excuse to leave them in the car at all. 

There was nothing stopping the parents from opening the windows a little bit at least to let some air into the car.

Sad how people feel it is perfectly acceptable to leave children alone in the car AT ALL, let alone a window cracked for ventilation.  Most places it is illegal.

Seriously, sometimes i think a law to have children would be a good thing......

There's someting really wrong with you when you treat your kids like that. :-\

India has cars ?

India is fast becoming a car manufacturing giant, if you live in Europe, there is a good chance you're driving a car made by an Indian manufacturer. Are you living in stone age? EDIT: duh, just realized its HUM and /s!

My 3 year old can do that as well, but that does not mean every child can, every child grows differently.

Sad how people feel it is perfectly acceptable to leave children alone in the car AT ALL, let alone a window cracked for ventilation.  Most places it is illegal.

Pets, as well.

I suppose it is a fanciful idea, but there should be a smart sensor in the car.

If it detects motion inside the car, and the temperature inside goes above, say 80 F, the windows would automatically wind down an inch or two.

And maybe the horn would give off short beeps to attract help.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...