Have I Made a Mistake? Not Enjoying Windows Phone 8

I fear I may have made a mistake in purchasing a Nokia 920.

I've had it for about 48 hours now and found little niggles which are simply not great.  Been so excited to finally get one and move away from Android but it seems Google have really got their grips around me.

1) Battery

I know the screen is a huge power hungry display but I would have thought it might last at least 24 hours.  My Galaxy Nexus lasted around a day and a half.  The phone has been unplugged for about two hours and has just 85% left.  GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC all turned off.

I expect it will get better but it's pretty poor show coming out of the box.

2) Missing Features

I don't want to harp on about things like missing an FM radio and such (the example I know is coming).  It struck me with Android how easy it was (with the control widget) to turn GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth on or off.  I know there is an app that could do this but that means yet another app to clutter up the list.

> The "settings" menu is also a bit of a mess with everything seemingly chucked into one list.

> While it contributes to the look and feel, not having how much battery I have and what my signal is like permanently displayed is a downfall.

> Why no pattern or word available for a password?  Numbers only indeed!

> Keyboard is great, but why no long press on a top letter it becomes a number thus saving a separate button push?

3) Lack of Comparable Apps

I am sacrificing a good number of apps to move to Windows Phone as some don't have a suitable comparison.  I am surprised the BBC haven't published an official BBC news app as yet.  But of course, this is the problem, companies don't want to waste money creating an app for WP, so nobody buys WP, chicken and the egg and all that.

To be fair though, I haven't found any problems with Twitter or Facebook apps, which are fairly important.

4) Different Game Controls

There are some battleship type games that have strange controls but I guess this is something to get used to.  However other apps (such as a plane landing game) don't allow you to freely manipulate the plane where you want, therefore much more likely to cause a crash.

Also sad that the Nokia exclusives are chargeable.  I just assumed they were free for Lumia owners.

5) Physical Phone

The weight doesn't bother me but since it's been in my pocket, a warm patch is evident near the flash.  It's almost like the phone is doing something (to waste the battery) but I can't work out what.  The design though is top notch.  If I could have Android on it, it would be the best of both worlds.

6) Camera Features

Why do the lenses need to be separate apps?  I would have thought they would be an option within the camera, again to save cluttering up the app list.

Android's panorama is a lot better than Nokia's offering and the latter appears to be lacking a "world" option (panorama up/down/side to side/diagonal - creating huge photos).

On the plus side, the phone is smooth, looks great and is very functional.  I love the Metro design and the live tiles are nice, although I think I prefer little icons rather than a square.  A bit sad there are only three size options for live tiles instead of a sort of "draw your own" size.  While it feels like a "grown ups" phone that is getting down to the business of what a phone should be for, all these little niggles are just too many to ignore.

Do I think Windows Phone will survive?

Yes, most definitely.  But until it develops a little more then I am not convinced right now, especially shelling out the full whack (?429) to get the best.  Maybe I will look at cheaper phones, but I doubt I'll be purchasing any time soon.  Just annoying as I want to get away from Google services.

I would welcome thoughts.

If you're not enjoying something, I wouldn't say it's a mistake. It's an experience.

Now you've had a go, you can (hopefully) easily change to another product.

• Like 4

I recently dropped my HTC Windows Phone 8S and have a nice crack from corner to corner. The cost of repair is ~?100. For that price, I could look at getting a second hand phone. Since this has happened, I've been having serious doubts over the Windows Phone operating system. There are certain aspects that I really like:

1) The look of the OS

2) The keyboard & autocorrect

3) Xbox account linking

However my dislikes are far outweighing the likes now:

1) No separate volume control for ringer & apps/music

2) Lack of apps, and quality ones at that

3) Xbox Music needs a redesign

4) No proxy authentication feature, rendering it useless on business wireless

5) No FM radio (which I know is coming, but I don't think my phone has the physical ability)

6) Lumping all your contacts into one list, be it Microsoft account, Facebook, Google, etc. People like family appear multiple times, so then you have to go and link them all together, or 'hide' other contacts.

There are more downsides, I just can't think of them at the moment.

If you're not enjoying something, I wouldn't say it's a mistake. It's an experience.

Now you've had a go, you can (hopefully) easily change to another product.

Yep and I think this is it.

I am trying to enjoy it as I want to have the phone and OS so will probably give it another few days to see if I can convert and if not then head back to the little green monster.

6) Lumping all your contacts into one list, be it Microsoft account, Facebook, Google, etc. People like family appear multiple times, so then you have to go and link them all together, or 'hide' other contacts.

This is something I discovered from Outlook.com and wish they had an option to sync contacts (like Android... again!).  I don't mind linking my accounts, but there are people I follow on Twitter and Facebook that I don't want in my email contact list.

I am trying to enjoy it as I want to have the phone and OS so will probably give it another few days to see if I can convert and if not then head back to the little green monster.

If you haven't already read this, you should https://www.neowin.net/news/review-nokia-lumia-920 :)

I agree with you on WP8, it still needs a lot of work. I have the HTC 8X and although I'm happy with it, I miss a few apps from iOS. You also might want to look up Facebook Beta which is way better than the "official" Facebook app (it's also by Microsoft) if you use FB https://www.neowin.net/news/facebook-beta-for-windows-phone-updated

This is something I discovered from Outlook.com and wish they had an option to sync contacts (like Android... again!).  I don't mind linking my accounts, but there are people I follow on Twitter and Facebook that I don't want in my email contact list.

You can disable contacts sync in People settings. Uncheck the accounts you don't want to sync to the People hub. In my case I have only got GMail selected. I download Hotmail but don't allow the contacts to show in the People hub.

I have setup GMail as Exchange, so it does sync Contacts and Calendar etc.

• Like 1

Android's panorama is a lot better than Nokia's offering and the latter appears to be lacking a "world" option (panorama up/down/side to side/diagonal - creating huge photos).

You should try Microsoft's Photosynth app, I really like it, and you can view your 360 degree photos online too.

• Like 2

20121202-210149.jpg

I am a happy HTC 8X owner,  I would personally give the device a biit more of a go, if for nothing else than to see if the battery life improves, many lumia owners report it getting better with a bit of use, maybe a week at least but hey at the end of the day if its not for you no dramas, im sure you can sell/swap the phone for another platform.

20121202-210149.jpg

I am a happy HTC 8X owner,  I would personally give the device a biit more of a go, if for nothing else than to see if the battery life improves, many lumia owners report it getting better with a bit of use, maybe a week at least but hey at the end of the day if its not for you no dramas, im sure you can sell/swap the phone for another platform.

Yeah funnily enough this happened with my 8X. I was barely getting a full day out of it but now I can manage it easily.

I thought there used to be this reasoning that batteries needed to be calibrated by using the device for a week or so? Charging it up and discharging it several times? But maybe I've made that up or it's become redundant in recent years.

Anyway, I would stick with it for a bit longer just to check the battery's performance out and see if it improves.

I thought there used to be this reasoning that batteries needed to be calibrated by using the device for a week or so? Charging it up and discharging it several times? But maybe I've made that up or it's become redundant in recent years.

Anyway, I would stick with it for a bit longer just to check the battery's performance out and see if it improves.

I have always been under the impression that you don't charge your phone when you get it,  you let it discharge 100% (to shut-off point), then charge it to full.  Then repeat this 2-3 times so that the phone generates a proper battery report (so it can determine true battery life).

I used to think i'd made a mistake at first when i bought my 8X. But then i broke it (totally my fault) and sent it away to be fixed for a couple of weeks and used my girlfriends Galaxy 2 during that time.

By the time i got my 8X back i was ecstatic and fell in love with it all over again.

I do believe there is a new feature, or its not released yet where the camera button can be configured to launch whatever camera lens you choose.

I have always been under the impression that you don't charge your phone when you get it,  you let it discharge 100% (to shut-off point), then charge it to full.  Then repeat this 2-3 times so that the phone generates a proper battery report (so it can determine true battery life).

that is true. actually discharging the battery completely is bad,but it must be done every now and then to recalibrate the battery juice gauge.

1) Battery

With my Lumia 928 I unplug it at 7am each morning and reconnect it at 11pm each night and usually have at least 40% battery left with a fair bit of usage during the day. I keep GPS, and Bluetooth turned off nearly at all times.

2) Missing Features

FM radio is supposed to be coming in GDR2, as for easy toggles, there are apps that can create tiles to turn these features on or off however, as you said it is not a built in function.

> The "settings" menu is rather messing and difficult to find things.

> I have an app that has a live tile for Battery level that works out well for me so that I know the exact percentage.

> Pattern and letter lock has never been a problem for me as essentially they are all the same equating to a number in the end.

> I agree completely about the long press for numbers this bothers me all the time.

3) Lack of Comparable Apps

The apps are coming slowely, Discovery and a few others just pushed a lot of apps and will the push for 8.1 coming i can see a lot more apps coming soon.

4) Different Game Controls

I saw this on Android as well just random control schemes from different developers, as far as Nokia Exclusive games, i mentioned this in another thread, Nokia helped with the cost of development for these apps just to help the ecosystem of Windows Phone they are not free for us Nokia folks as the developer still gets to choose a price. However most if not all of the Actual Nokia made apps are free.

5) Physical Phone

No heat problems with the Lumia 928 that I can find, solid construction.

6) Camera Features

I am flabbergasted that they did not just include all the different lense types into the camera app, even if you download different lenses just add them to the camera like games are added to the xbox app.

Overall, my switch from Android to windows Phone has been a positive one. I generally do not use my phone for much outside of work, Using Office, Email, the web browser to maintain Cisco Switches and whatnot. I heardly play games on it and when I am out of work I just use Reddit, and Neowin on the browser.

The battery on my 920 lasts about a day and a half of normal use.  It's possible that the battery drain is down to the fact that you're using your phone more in the first few days.  However, I think there's a direct link between the drain and the heat you're feeling behind the flash.  This can happen from time to time and a restart should correct it. 

Lenses are available from within the camera app but I'm not sure why it matters that they're in the app list too.  That just makes it easier to access a particular lens quickly.  The app list is easier to use once you have a larger number of apps (can't remember the number) because you'll be able to click on letters to jump to a particular point in the list.  Pin your frequently used apps to the Start screen and you'll rarely need to visit the app list anyway.

It sounds like you want to download photosynth if you're after a lens that will allow you to produce large montages.

1. I have everything on my Lumia 920 and I routinely do 24-36 hrs on it with heavy browsing (twitter + IE), podcast/music streaming and camera+uploads. I think give it a old fashioned battery calibration (use until it drops dead and then charge) and see if that helps. I have noticed a peculiar problem where the battery at times dies rapidly (< 7hrs once) from full charge and I have a strong suspicion that it's WhatsApp. It's just a poorly done app, don't keep it running. A reboot usually helps when this happens.

2. I guess you feel the need to constantly toggle GPS/NFS/Wifi on Android but honestly I have never had to worry about those things eating battery when not used.

3. Hmm the apps angle. I guess this is very subjective and I don't really care for apps which are solely for websites. I can directly browse the websites (BBC in this case).

5. My 920 only every warms up if I do heavy usage (browsing for 15+ mins over LTE, Skype etc.). You might have a bad piece considering this and #1 above. OR you might be using a rogue app eating your battery.

6. Lenses can be accessed from the camera UI (first icon on the toolbar). For panorama, have you tried photosynth or other apps that support panorama? Photosynth is particularly good at "world" (probably the best).

Some of your gripes are valid - FM Radio, Notification Center, keyboard/number thing, etc and I really think that it is holding back the platform (can't edit forwarded emails - dafaq? VPN for jeebus sake. VEEEPEEEENNNN.WHAT.IS.SO.HARD?!). Having said that, the OS IS only 2-3 years old. You're looking at roughly the same time-frame as the iPhone 3GS - it had a long way to go from there too.

However, comparing it to android is NOT reasonable. If you are a "power-user" then WP is NOT for you. Android is a highly flexible power-user phone. WP is a good, solid phone, that is generally perfectly functional, is really smooth, and has some AMAZING features (live tiles are simply an amazing idea).

The biggest thing however is ecosystem - as someone who has fallen in love with integration, i would NEVER use anything outside of the windows ecosystem (as I "live" on windows, especially with W8/8.1 and cloud settings sync).

My $0.02 - I think it is a great phone, but you are right it is not as flexible or feature packed as android (nor is it designed to be - Mr(s) Joe(anne) Bloggs doesn't care about them)

Lenses show in the app list because this is where you uninstall apps from as well, but to use them they are available within the camera app.

Photosynth is by far the best 360 panorama app available, end of!

Big updates are coming which will address a lot of issues, and hopefully help battery life (920 here and can confirm quick battery drain).

2. I guess you feel the need to constantly toggle GPS/NFS/Wifi on Android but honestly I have never had to worry about those things eating battery when not used.

This is a good point. I never toggle any of these on/off because I don't need to worry about them eating my battery (I leave them all on 100% of the time plus bluetooth). This certainly does seem like Android behaviour that the OP may need to unlearn.

If your phone is constantly warm, it sounds like there's an app which is hammering it. Hence the battery life. I can manage 2 days on mine if I really try.

Have a look on the background tasks section in settings, get rid of anything there you don't particularly need.

920 here and can confirm quick battery drain).

In addition to all my radios I also have Skype running in the background 24/7 and don't have a problem with battery life (I think a day to a day and a half is pretty good for any smartphone). However, a colleague has a 920 and he was complaining that he always has to top his phone up towards the end of the day despite the fact that he has less running than me. The only difference we could identify was that he was with EE and I am with 3 :/

Yeah funnily enough this happened with my 8X. I was barely getting a full day out of it but now I can manage it easily.

You should post what you did, changes made to manage this, to help the OP perhaps?

When I first got my 920 it barely lastest 8 hours but after a patch the battery life is fine.  But I also have buyers remorse, I'm going back to Android and writing Google a letter of apology for leaving.

Oh no! This is terrible for li-on batteries trin! it kills them!!!  This is only valid for NiCd or Ni-mH  batteries.

Charging and discharging batteries is a chemical reaction, but Li-ion is claimed as an exception. Here, battery scientists talk about energies flowing in and out as part of ion movement between anode and cathode. This claim has merits, but if the scientists were totally right then the battery would live forever, and this is wishful thinking. The experts blame capacity fade on ions getting trapped. For simplicity, we consider aging a corrosion that affects all battery systems.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries
  • A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

• Charge at a moderate temperature. Do not charge below freezing.

• Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

• Chargers use different methods for ?ready? indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

• Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

• Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

• Over-discharged batteries can be ?boosted? to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost. 

You should post what you did, changes made to manage this, to help the OP perhaps?

1. I don't have a Nokia 920

2. Did you disregard all the other posts regarding battery life for the Nokia 920?

1. I don't have a Nokia 920

2. Did you disregard all the other posts regarding battery life for the Nokia 920?

1. But you do run windows phone device so app usage, settings etc. might be the same.

2. Pretty much yup I only have eyes for "colored" names :shifty: