Sony PlayStation 4 - Info Galore

Those OS shots are ok, but I would like to see some context. As in, let's see what we will see when we first boot up and navigate around. Those shown seem limited to chatting or looking at a gamer profile.

I can't say they look appealing, but it may be fine after seeing it in context.

I am very disappointed Sony did not include the camera in the box.

They could have lowered the price in a much better way.

$399 + 1 year of PS+ Subscription required (If you already have a PS+ subscription, you would just add 1 year to your subscription).

That way you get all the goodies for a low price and PS+ as well.

They could easily do bundling options if they wanted; not sure why that's a disappointment, if only but for the fact that it may not garner as much support, but I think Microsoft is still working hard to establish the Kinect as something people actually want as well. I don't think I've heard many people saying much good about it, and even Microsoft seemed very quiet about the Kinect at E3. :ermm:

Not sure what any of that means though for us. Will just have to see how things pan out; I love the way the camera capabilities come off myself, but realistically, I don't see myself using them at all.

You have a very selective definition of "exclusive".  :rofl:

PLATFORMS: Sony PlayStation?4, Sony PlayStation?3, Sony PlayStation?Vita, Wii U, Windows, Linux, OS X

Also, where exactly did I say that it "wasn't my cup of tea".  Oh right, nowhere.

And Titanfall is coming to PC as well, yet still is labeled as exclusive. I've given up in trying to point things like this out though. :p

As for the PS4, I just wish the headset was stereo. That's the only disappointment I see so far.

As for the PS4, I just wish the headset was stereo. That's the only disappointment I see so far.

It'll still take any 3.5mm headset, if you have something else to plug in.

They could easily do bundling options if they wanted; not sure why that's a disappointment, if only but for the fact that it may not garner as much support, but I think Microsoft is still working hard to establish the Kinect as something people actually want as well. I don't think I've heard many people saying much good about it, and even Microsoft seemed very quiet about the Kinect at E3. :ermm:

Not sure what any of that means though for us. Will just have to see how things pan out; I love the way the camera capabilities come off myself, but realistically, I don't see myself using them at all.

And Titanfall is coming to PC as well, yet still is labeled as exclusive. I've given up in trying to point things like this out though. :p

Because with what I pointed out you could have your cake and eat it too.  With what they have done developers won't support the Camera.

There are 2 "Kinect only" games at launch........

1) Kinect Sports Rivals

2) Fantasia : Music Evolved (Looks very cool)

The games here are augmenting the controller with Kinect (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games)

Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
D4
FIFA 14
Forza Motorsport 5
Project Spark
Ryse: Son of Rome
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Your Welcome :)

I will make one for the Xbox One later on today if no one else beats me to it.

In regards to Bluetooth 4.0 vs 2.1, Bluetooth 4.0 is a low power design which actually makes it slower than 2.1 (10% the speed of 2.1).

It is mostly being implemented in Mobile devices to extend battery life and operates in two modes, low power or classic.

When it operates in classic mode its the same as 2.1 when its in low power it operates at 10% speed but uses less power.

Here are some more OS Interface pictures:

gsm_169_ps4_user_interface_061913_640.jp

4rq143x.png

maxresdefault.jpg

FLOPS (FLoating-point Operations Per Second) is an indication of how many calculations or instructions it can process per second. This is what the hardware is capable of and supercomputers are judged by their FLOPs output

(Except Supercomputers go up to and past the 33.86 petaflops range)

FSAA (Full Screen Anti-Aliasing) is a method of blending pixels at the edges of distinct colors to make the edges blur, and therefore look more natural. It creates sharp diagonal lines by "erasing" the blocky pixel edges. It takes lots of additional bandwidth and it relies on the GPU's FLOPs output. Having a high FSAA when your TFLOPs is low will negatively effect gameplay.

Timothy Lottes is referred to as the father of FXAA in video games and he personally has said the PS4 system is a better system than the Xbox One in regards to graphical performance, so this should give you an understanding of why its laughable when people say that the Xbox One is better and somehow try to relate it to the FSAA.

In regards to RAM, some PC Games have been using over 4GB of RAM since 2010 (4GB of RAM is the X64 limit for single process).

Your friend is correct in saying the higher TFLOPs card is better as its capable of more, but that doesn't mean better graphics it just means it capable of better graphics and developers need to make use of that extra power.

Microsoft have the edge in software, Sony have the edge in hardware. But software only needs an update while hardware needs to be changed for it to function better.

Timothy Lottes doesn't know the full story.  He doesn't work at Microsoft and just read the rumors over at VGleaks.   It's a bit more complicated than this.

Because with what I pointed out you could have your cake and eat it too.  With what they have done developers won't support the Camera.

There are 2 "Kinect only" games at launch........

1) Kinect Sports Rivals

2) Fantasia : Music Evolved (Looks very cool)

The games here are augmenting the controller with Kinect (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games)

Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
D4
FIFA 14
Forza Motorsport 5
Project Spark
Ryse: Son of Rome
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Implementation versus actual use is a bit different. Those sixaxis controllers were supposed to offer new ways to play, but I've only heard them to be awkward, and people preferring to play their games like they normally would. This is why I question how well the camera technology would actually take off: bundling it by default doesn't make much difference if people still aren't going to use it, which was my point. Until Microsoft can prove its popularity outside of a few gimmick games where it's actually useful (dance games for one), there's not much we can say until we see a revolutionary trend in gaming actually shift.

Until then, it's all guesswork at best imo. We'll just have to see how it all pans out.

Implementation versus actual use is a bit different. Those sixaxis controllers were supposed to offer new ways to play, but I've only heard them to be awkward, and people preferring to play their games like they normally would. This is why I question how well the camera technology would actually take off: bundling it by default doesn't make much difference if people still aren't going to use it, which was my point. Until Microsoft can prove its popularity outside of a few gimmick games where it's actually useful (dance games for one), there's not much we can say until we see a revolutionary trend in gaming actually shift.

Until then, it's all guesswork at best imo. We'll just have to see how it all pans out.

I haven't seen the Kinect Sports Rivals yet, just the trailer for it, but I did see a lot of gameplay for Fantasia Music evolved and it was quite cool.  In fact it was so cool for a lot of people that it received one of Game Spot's Best of E3 2013 awards.

Here is the link...  So, I wouldn't think a Kinect Only game would be a best of E3 for 2013 on a hard core gaming web site.

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-e3-2013/

Not only that but it can be used for a lot of things, instantly scanning in QR (Redemption Codes), Used in the OS, Used in searching in the OS just by saying a word or words, Switching to games just using your voice, Skype at 1080p with phones, tablets, computers, etc....  That is a huge deal.

It's only the beginning and we haven't seen other game shows like gamescom.  I expect to see more games for it over time.

Those sixaxis controllers were supposed to offer new ways to play, but I've only heard them to be awkward, and people preferring to play their games like they normally would.

Sixaxis is more of an additional stick, than a way to control a whole game though. I can take it or leave it. There have been some interesting uses of it (in The Last of Us you occasionally have to use it to "shake" your flashlight back into action), but also some very stupid ones (the level going down the snowy hill at speed in Mini Ninjas had to be done using the Sixaxis alone and it was just horribly frustrating).

Don't get the complaints about the UI. Looks just fine. Take away the blue and it doesn't look a whole lot different than the style on the Xbox.

Sixaxis is more of an additional stick, than a way to control a whole game though. I can take it or leave it. There have been some interesting uses of it (in The Last of Us you occasionally have to use it to "shake" your flashlight back into action), but also some very stupid ones (the level going down the snowy hill at speed in Mini Ninjas had to be done using the Sixaxis alone and it was just horribly frustrating).

Don't get the complaints about the UI. Looks just fine. Take away the blue and it doesn't look a whole lot different than the style on the Xbox.

The UI is iffy to me.... Just looks like a lot going on...

Maybe go with a black background with blue accent???

The UI looks like it can induce seizures....

The graphics boost is fine and dandy....

I care more about how the console has progressed from year 3-10 or so...

What was added or taken away... ETC... Maybe Other OS can make another appearance, since the hardware is more than capable now...streaming to the PS Vita seems nice.... But they have to get more Vita's in people's hands.. (perhaps a Vita bundled Sku for $499?)

A lot of people hate MS but they made the 360 seem fresh with their big updates... (even if some of the UI changes weren't the best looking)

The UI is iffy to me.... Just looks like a lot going on...

Maybe go with a black background with blue accent???

The UI looks like it can induce seizures....

Doesn't look busy to me. Shows everything it needs to, nothing less, nothing more. The only thing I'd do different would be to ditch the horizontal borders on everything except the left menu as they aren't necessary. Maybe ditch the swirls in the background too, but as they appear animated they will look less obvious in use. One good thing I immediately noticed is the use of a vertical rhythm (spacing elements based on a line height as opposed to arbitrary positioning), which is something Microsoft doesn't use nearly as much as they should given their reliance on text (they seem to pick and choose where they use it rather arbitrarily). They've also used the space available well, rather than wasting it (e.g. Windows 8 apps). Apps aside, I expect the Xbox One will use space well too (few screen resolutions).

Both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One roughly follow the same set of good solid design principles that nearly every designer follows these days. There'll be minor differences, but if there wasn't everything would look the same. I don't know how you can say the PS4 induces seizures and the Xbox One doesn't with a straight face.

I've not seen any pictures of the equivalent sections on the Xbox One yet. I don't expect them to be a massively different.

• 4 weeks later...