My CPU overheats instantly to 100 C while encoding videos

Hello.

I have a big major problem.

My CPU overheats instantly to 100 C while encoding videos from 50 C (idle).

My system specs are these:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932

M/B: Gigabyte Z77X-D3h 

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 

CPU Cooler: Stock or http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/023/scmn1000_detail.html (both same results)

RAM: Kingston 2x4GB HyperX Beast 2133MHz CL11 

VGA: Saphire HD6870 1GB

I applied Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste following the instructions on this manual http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

(Vertical Line)

Please note that everything runs at default clock speed (default UEFI/BIOS options)

I'm really really out of options and I do not know what else should I try

Programs used while encoding videos:

Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate.

AnyDVD

What is the CPU voltage (aka vcore) set at in the BIOS? I suspect it could be set too high causing the overheat, it should be around 1.0v - 1.1v according to what I could find on google.

That & make sure the CPU cooling fins are clean.  Take it outside & blow them out, if dirty. 

Are you sure the fan is working correctly - ramping up as temp rises?  If you don't have fan speed / rpm / voltage monitor, may want to try one to see what the voltage & fan are doing.

Speed Fan is one - you'll have to check the list of supported mobo's & CPU - to see if it'll detect all settings.

a line of thermal paste, probably what i would suspect as the problem! too much thermal paste not efficient enough to transfer heat to the heatsync quickly.

if everything is running at default speeds, why did you get 'Kingston 2x4GB HyperX Beast 2133MHz'? they will only run at 1333mhz.

what are you using to get the readings for CPU tempurature? some can be off by 10C or sometimes more.

but with such a huge jump in temp so quickly, there does sound like something is not right.

if i was you i'd remove the CPU heatsync, clean it off and clean the top of the CPU aswell.

then put a small amount, very small!! and spread it over the top of the CPU, as thin as possible!! use a plastic bag or something over a finger, or a plastic card to smooth it over, once you get a thin smooth layer put the heatsync ontop.

• Like 1

Where do you keep your PC case ?

Move it away from walls, or too close to a desk.

Make sure it can get good air flow.

An air conditioned room is a plus.

I would be opening the case panel and blowing in air directly with a floor fan !

a line of thermal paste, probably what i would suspect as the problem! too much thermal paste not efficient enough to transfer heat to the heatsync quickly.

if i was you i'd remove the CPU heatsync, clean it off and clean the top of the CPU aswell.

then put a small amount, very small!! and spread it over the top of the CPU, as thin as possible!! use a plastic bag or something over a finger, or a plastic card to smooth it over, once you get a thin smooth layer put the heatsync ontop.

That's not the proper way to do it with his CPU, actually that's the worst way you could apply it honestly - http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

if I had my opinion I suspect the fan is the culprit...on the link you provided in does not even suggest the cpu you have is even compatible  and everyone generally knows stock fans are *%*%*%*&!  what I think has happened is the switch that tells the fan to rev up is toast and you need a new fan..  DO NOT USE THE AFFECTED PC until you solved this issue.  Heat is your biggest enemy now. hopefully when you found out this problem the heat did not affect the cpu.  You did not mention this but I am surprised the cpu did not shut down the computer   100 degrees cel equals 212 f   your computer I think should have been crashing   Good Luck!!!

First sign of trouble is 50 c at idle.  I'd address that before I encoded anything else. It's either too much paste or the cooler isn't seated correctly.

• Like 3

Make sure there is good contact between the CPU cooler and the CPU, and like xendrome suggested, apply thermal paste correctly

Thank you for your replies.

The culprit was that the CPU Turbo function was on by default.

However, the temperature rises to 75-85 C while encoding videos which I believe is really high.

Also, I asked around tom's hardware forums, they told me that the CPU cooler should be tight with the CPU otherwise it won't function correctly

and exactly like you said most stock coolers  are crap.

My Scythe CPU Cooler must be crap as well, so my only option is to purchase a new CPU cooler because I'm planning on using the Turbo function or overclocking a little bit in the near future.

So I would like you to recommend me some CPU Coolers which are value for money.

My highest budget is 80? or a little higher than that, and I would prefer them from amazon.co.uk or ebay.com/ebay.co.uk if possible

also:

if everything is running at default speeds, why did you get 'Kingston 2x4GB HyperX Beast 2133MHz'? they will only run at 1333mhz.

Because I could not figure out what the problem was with the high temperatures

You did not mention this but I am surprised the cpu did not shut down the computer

I was right in front of the PC, so when my CPU reached 100 C, I instantly cancelled the video encoding and the CPU cooled down to 60 after some seconds

if you want an air cpu cooler then I recommend ZALMAN, i have one in mine and i know some people that have them as well and they work great and are quiet to bat (should be available on amazon too)

i've got an i7 920 with at default clock is 2.66ghz, and i had it overclocked to 4ghz, it never got anywhere near 100C when stress testing, it got upto 85C, with a Noctua NH-U12,

i would try reapplying the thermal paste, as too much can act absorb the heat and hold onto it rather than pass it strait to the cooler. 

it should be able to handle the heat (your CPU cooler) even with the turbo boost on.

Thank you for your replies.

The culprit was that the CPU Turbo function was on by default.

However, the temperature rises to 75-85 C while encoding videos which I believe is really high.

Also, I asked around tom's hardware forums, they told me that the CPU cooler should be tight with the CPU otherwise it won't function correctly

and exactly like you said most stock coolers  are crap.

My Scythe CPU Cooler must be crap as well, so my only option is to purchase a new CPU cooler because I'm planning on using the Turbo function or overclocking a little bit in the near future.

So I would like you to recommend me some CPU Coolers which are value for money.

My highest budget is 80? or a little higher than that, and I would prefer them from amazon.co.uk or ebay.com/ebay.co.uk if possible

also:

Because I could not figure out what the problem was with the high temperatures

I was right in front of the PC, so when my CPU reached 100 C, I instantly cancelled the video encoding and the CPU cooled down to 60 after some seconds

There is absolutely nothing wrong with stock Intel coolers if you don't plan to overclock.

Your heat problems have nothing to do with the fact you're using a stock cooler.

Heck afaik the processor shouldn't even go to 100... around 70-80 it should just slow down to a crawl.... unless you're using an AMD cpu?

Heck afaik the processor shouldn't even go to 100... around 70-80 it should just slow down to a crawl.... unless you're using an AMD cpu?

Intel processors don't downclock until it passes the TJunction, 100-105 degrees I believe? If it increases a further 5 degrees the PC is shutdown.

Intel processors don't downclock until it passes the TJunction, 100-105 degrees I believe? If it increases a further 5 degrees the PC is shutdown.

My bad.

1st and only thing, if you are going to do intense processing you should never have the fan speed in quiet mode in the BIOS. So make sure you turn off any "Fan" control settings in the BIOS or at least select a "Turbo Mode" setting. Also you should have other fans in the case (Especially if you are in Hot weather). Also, if you are in hot weather you should never use the "Stock" cooler. Also, the instructions for the thermal compound are not up to date. I put a dap in the middle and spread it to all 4 corners with the included spreading tool. You just want to cover the entire surface with a very thin layer so it fills in the uneven surface grooves and holes that can't bee seen by the eye on both the processor and the cooler.

1st and only thing, if you are going to do intense processing you should never have the fan speed in quiet mode in the BIOS. So make sure you turn off any "Fan" control settings in the BIOS or at least select a "Turbo Mode" setting. Also you should have other fans in the case (Especially if you are in Hot weather). Also, if you are in hot weather you should never use the "Stock" cooler. Also, the instructions for the thermal compound are not up to date. I put a dap in the middle and spread it to all 4 corners with the included spreading tool. You just want to cover the entire surface with a very thin layer so it fills in the uneven surface grooves and holes that can't bee seen by the eye on both the processor and the cooler.

I never heard of applying paste that way. I was always told to put a grain of rice-sized paste in the middle, and let the heatsink spread out the paste.

Hello.

I have a big major problem.

My CPU overheats instantly to 100 C while encoding videos from 50 C (idle).

My system specs are these:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932

M/B: Gigabyte Z77X-D3h 

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K 

CPU Cooler: Stock or http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/023/scmn1000_detail.html (both same results)

RAM: Kingston 2x4GB HyperX Beast 2133MHz CL11 

VGA: Saphire HD6870 1GB

I applied Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste following the instructions on this manual http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

(Vertical Line)

Please note that everything runs at default clock speed (default UEFI/BIOS options)

I'm really really out of options and I do not know what else should I try

Programs used while encoding videos:

Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate.

AnyDVD

So, stick a kettle on it and enjoy a cuppa while you encode.

I never heard of applying paste that way. I was always told to put a grain of rice-sized paste in the middle, and let the heatsink spread out the paste.

Well, you might want to do a bit of research because the way I specified is much more effective and it's how I and many others are tought throughout college. The purpose of thermal paste is to transfer the heat from the processor to the heatsink. So, if you are going to apply a dap of paste in the middle and slap the heatsink on then how effective do you think it will be? Not so effective because the second purpose of the paste is to fill in grooves and holes on the entire surface so there is a complete surface contact. The paste does not cover the entire surface if it was applied your way. The heatsink plate needs to have complete contact with the entire surface of the processor. Your way would create uneven contact, especially on the outer area of the processor. Heat will buld up in any areas where the 2 plates don't have a throurogh contact.

There is no correct or best way but the most recognised and recommended method is the pea sized dot in the middle. This is because most CPU die are in the middle of the chip. Applying pressure to the heatsink spreads out the paste.

• Like 2

Well, you might want to do a bit of research because the way I specified is much more effective and it's how I and many others are tought throughout college. The purpose of thermal paste is to transfer the heat from the processor to the heatsink. So, if you are going to apply a dap of paste in the middle and slap the heatsink on then how effective do you think it will be? Not so effective because the second purpose of the paste is to fill in grooves and holes on the entire surface so there is a complete surface contact. The paste does not cover the entire surface if it was applied your way. The heatsink plate needs to have complete contact with the entire surface of the processor. Your way would create uneven contact, especially on the outer area of the processor. Heat will buld up in any areas where the 2 plates don't have a throurogh contact.

I was taught my way by several computer enthusiasts that made several of their own systems. The way I understood it was, that the pressure of the heatsink would spread it evenly throughout the CPU's surface. Does it actually spread it over the entire CPU? No, but it hits the most crucial points. I have been doing this for years now, I never had a CPU overheat. Is it perfect? No, but I've been OK with it.

You know, CPU heat does not depend upon just the heatsink, you know. Airflow is much more important. Front inflow, back/top exhaust. From one case to another with better airflow, I noticed about a 5C drop in my CPU.

edit: ninja'd by JJ....  :shiftyninja:

You were taught to spread thermal paste in college?

what are you using to get the readings for CPU tempurature? some can be off by 10C or sometimes more.

but with such a huge jump in temp so quickly, there does sound like something is not right.

No one do this. This will cause air bubbles! :O