Android notifications woes (with whatsapp)

Have you tried any alternatives yet?

I haven't used whatsapp so don't know of it's limitations

(Skype serves me well enough. I don't love it but for me it was better than nothing..)

(Skype serves me well enough. I don't love it but for me it was better than nothing..

Good luck getting unofficial whatsapp clients working, they've going on a rampage recently stopping them all from working, plus they have some custom jabber commands in the official clients like random forced password changes and the device needs to update the stored password with the new one which was only supported on one unofficial client which no longer works.

(Skype serves me well enough. I don't love it but for me it was better than nothing..)

yeah the thing is most of my friends and family use whatsapp... really frustrated with android ATM...

Good luck getting unofficial whatsapp clients working, they've going on a rampage recently stopping them all from working, plus they have some custom jabber commands in the official clients like random forced password changes and the device needs to update the stored password with the new one which was only supported on one unofficial client which no longer works.

I think he meant another service, but good to know :P

So where in that post did I mention unofficial whatsapp clients?

So where in that post did I mention unofficial whatsapp clients?

Well what else are you going to do if there's a bunch of people using one app and you just switch to another service, do you think they're all suddenly going to jump ship too?

yeah it is a known bug. it happens on my nexus 4 as well running the last android version.

the theory at first was that there was something wrong with the way android handled WiFi in sleep mode. Basically when the screen is off and the phone is on WiFi, it should go into a low-energy mode in which the WiFi module itself handles ARP communication (as opposed to having the kernel - i.e., using CPU cycles - do it).  

that would be an explanation until you have people reporting the same thing happens on 3G.

I dont know exactly how far they are in fixing this bug or even determining what causes it. because some people notice it (when you wake the screen up, suddenly you have an onslaught of incoming messages that you weren't notified of), and some people simply don't

unacceptable? yes

Well what else are you going to do if there's a bunch of people using one app and you just switch to another service, do you think they're all suddenly going to jump ship too?

One of the main reasons I didn't recommend he switch.

yeah it is a known bug. it happens on my nexus 4 as well running the last android version.

the theory at first was that there was something wrong with the way android handled WiFi in sleep mode. Basically when the screen is off and the phone is on WiFi, it should go into a low-energy mode in which the WiFi module itself handles ARP communication (as opposed to having the kernel - i.e., using CPU cycles - do it).  

that would be an explanation until you have people reporting the same thing happens on 3G.

I dont know exactly how far they are in fixing this bug or even determining what causes it. because some people notice it (when you wake the screen up, suddenly you have an onslaught of incoming messages that you weren't notified of), and some people simply don't

unacceptable? yes

unacceptable barely covers it, how are they shipping devices with an OS with borked notifications!

One of the main reasons I didn't recommend he switch.

:/

Partial whatsapp log.

From what I can see, perhaps this is the situation:

2013-07-09 11:11:09.692 I: xmpp/reader/io-error java.net.SocketException: recvfrom failed: ETIMEDOUT (Connection timed out)

2013-07-09 11:22:13.353 I: xmpp/reader/io-error java.net.SocketException: recvfrom failed: ECONNRESET (Connection reset by peer)

2013-07-09 14:00:08.369 I: xmpp/connection/socket/connected

2013-07-09 14:00:08.378 I: xmpp/connection/login

2013-07-09 14:00:08.381 I: xmpp/service/login/timeout/start

2013-07-09 14:00:10.370 I: xmpp/service/login/timeout/stop

2013-07-09 14:00:10.372 I: xmpp/connection/socket/disconnect java.net.SocketException: recvfrom failed: ECONNRESET (Connection reset by peer)

Perhaps someone can make something out of it, I sure hell can't, the log is only a couple of hours old (around 8) since I re-installed and deleted all cache information, though in those 8 hours the delay has happened more than once.

Log hosted on paste it sites because It exceeded the maximum post length:

Same file just hosted in several sites just in case.

Still no response from whatsapp support, tried directly from their webpage and from the app itself (different addresses 

"2013-07-09 11:11:09.692 I: xmpp/reader/io-error java.net.SocketException: recvfrom failed: ETIMEDOUT (Connection timed out)

2013-07-09 11:22:13.353 I: xmpp/reader/io-error java.net.SocketException: recvfrom failed: ECONNRESET (Connection reset by peer)"
Either means the connection has timed out due to a connectivity issue (your network cutting you off or internet going off, etc.) or whatsapp disconnecting you (problem with the data recieved by them or your connection has timed out or not sent some expected data and they've sent an RST packet). I doubt it's a problem with whatsapp, seems to be a problem with either your phone or network.

"2013-07-09 11:11:09.692 I: xmpp/reader/io-error java.net.SocketException: recvfrom failed: ETIMEDOUT (Connection timed out)

2013-07-09 11:22:13.353 I: xmpp/reader/io-error java.net.SocketException: recvfrom failed: ECONNRESET (Connection reset by peer)"
Either means the connection has timed out due to a connectivity issue (your network cutting you off or internet going off, etc.) or whatsapp disconnecting you (problem with the data recieved by them or your connection has timed out or not sent some expected data and they've sent an RST packet). I doubt it's a problem with whatsapp, seems to be a problem with either your phone or network.

i would think the same, except that it happens both on wifi or mobile data AND it's not an issue on iOS(like stated in my OP).. so it's definitely a whatsapp/android combination issue as it happens with two new phones, two old phones and only on whatsapp apparently...

I'll wait for whatsapp support to respond, if not I think my girl and I will have to switch to chatON or skype and just leave whatsapp for the rest of people and respond whenever whatsapp feels like it...

• 2 weeks later...

update, got a response from whatsapp team:

Hi,

Thanks for your message. Sorry for the inconvenience. This is a known issue and we are doing our best to improve WhatsApp in a future update.

Finn

Customer Support/Soporte al Cliente/Kundendienst

WhatsApp Support Team

Interested in translating for us? Please visit http://translate.whatsapp.com

Take a look at our FAQ: http://www.whatsapp.com/faq/

How they are selling software with broken push notifications (in part because of android), is a lawsuit if anyone had the money and time.

How they are selling software with broken push notifications (in part because of android), is a lawsuit if anyone had the money and time.

Well...no one is forcing you to use whatsapp - it's completely your choice. 

I guess it may be android's fault but just FYI - I have no such issues with Hangouts (think I said that before :p). Wifi all day at work and it works fine and same at home with 3G data between using a Nexus 4.

Well...no one is forcing you to use whatsapp - it's completely your choice. 

Did you read my OP? I can't switch because the majority of people i know USE whatsapp. troll response is troll.

I guess it may be android's fault but just FYI - I have no such issues with Hangouts (think I said that before :p). Wifi all day at work and it works fine and same at home with 3G data between using a Nexus 4.

You lucky mofo, one of the issues, as posted in my OP, is wifi push precisely on the N4

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42272

edit: thanks for adding solved :P

Did you read my OP? I can't switch because the majority of people i know USE whatsapp.

You lucky mofo, one of the issues, as posted in my OP, is wifi push precisely on the N4

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42272

It has to be an isolated issue, because I too use whatsapp (personal and work), and don't have this problem. If everyone on Android was affected, then yeah, that'd be a problem for whatsapp. BUT, there are alternatives, no one is forcing you to communicate with whatsapp, regardless of how many people use it. Just find a way to live with it, and wait for an update. Also, remember these are 'text' messages, so therefore if someone wants to reach you immediately, a call is still the easiest/fastest. Texts are lower on the priority list, and emails are even lower. 

Because it doesn't seem to affect many people. Of the 20 people I talk to WhatsApp on, none of them have this issue. You're the first person I've seen on any tech forum I hang around on to report it.

What did they tell you that confirmed it was an issue in Android itself? You've posted multiple times to a bug that has nothing to do with your issue. From everything I've seen this is a WhatsApp issue and a WhatsApp issue alone. There are countless issues that could cause notifications to get delayed, but I've never heard any blanket reasons affecting large numbers of people getting notifications.

It has to be an isolated issue, because I too use whatsapp (personal and work), and don't have this problem. If everyone on Android was affected, then yeah, that'd be a problem for whatsapp. BUT, there are alternatives, no one is forcing you to communicate with whatsapp, regardless of how many people use it. Just find a way to live with it, and wait for an update. Also, remember these are 'text' messages, so therefore if someone wants to reach you immediately, a call is still the easiest/fastest. Texts are lower on the priority list, and emails are even lower. 

But it's not an isolated issue,  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=whatsapp+delay+on+android  or check whatsapp reviews on the play store, it's widespread on a number of devices, htc one, S3, S4, s2   and  Edge, 3G UMTS, GPRS, WiFi  (Though wifi is more android to blame, see here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42272 and as you can see there's thousands of replies), not to mention the whatsapp team acknowledges  the issue! that's like selling a car with a faulty engine and saying "oh that's normal"  (Mind you I got the app free, i'd be ****ed as hell if I payed for non-functional cr4p).

I even started a thread over at XDA and would you know it, the same issue for several folks

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2351753&page=5

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43412612

Sorry didn't mean to sound like an ass, I'm just frustated with android is all.

I have worked around it,  I just don't use wifi, because push notifications simply refuse to work for ANY app.  ( http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42272).

Because it doesn't seem to affect many people. Of the 20 people I talk to WhatsApp on, none of them have this issue. You're the first person I've seen on any tech forum I hang around on to report it.

What did they tell you that confirmed it was an issue in Android itself? You've posted multiple times to a bug that has nothing to do with your issue. From everything I've seen this is a WhatsApp issue and a WhatsApp issue alone. There are countless issues that could cause notifications to get delayed, but I've never heard any blanket reasons affecting large numbers of people getting notifications.

Oh the bug is a separate issue that does affect whatapp push notifications as well

@mckay and AJ, see the xda threads.

Not to mention I know personally several people, on different devices with the same issue (galaxy young, galaxy ace, htc S, s3, s4 )( as in my responses in the first page ).

https://www.neowin.net/news/google-announces-nexus-7-refresh-android-43#comment-2276205

and PLEASE READ my first post, you'll see it's a very widespread issue on the several links I posted.

But it's not an isolated issue,  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=whatsapp+delay+on+android  or check whatsapp reviews on the play store, it's widespread on a number of devices, htc one, S3, S4, s2   and  Edge, 3G UMTS, GPRS, WiFi  (Though wifi is more android to blame, see here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42272 and as you can see there's thousands of replies), not to mention the whatsapp team acknowledges  the issue! that's like selling a car with a faulty engine and saying "oh that's normal"  (Mind you I got the app free, i'd be ****ed as hell if I payed for non-functional cr4p).

I even started a thread over at XDA and would you know it, the same issue for several folks

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2351753&page=5

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43412612

Sorry didn't mean to sound like an ass, I'm just frustated with android is all.

I have worked around it,  I just don't use wifi, because push notifications simply refuse to work for ANY app.  ( http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42272).

Oh the bug is a separate issue that does affect whatapp push notifications as well

@mckay and AJ, see the xda threads.

It's NOT a widespread issue - I have a HTC One (ATT), and I can verify real time messaging works on whatsapp, and push notifications on Android work on WiFi or mobiledata. I've also had a Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) where whatsapp worked perfectly fine. These phones were also on two different carriers...There has to be some pattern amongst these devices not receiving push notifications for whatsapp. I just tried messaging my coworker sitting right next to me with a Note 2 on Sprint, and it works fine both ways...

It's NOT a widespread issue - I have a HTC One (ATT), and I can verify real time messaging works on whatsapp, and push notifications on Android work on WiFi or mobiledata. I've also had a Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) where whatsapp worked perfectly fine. These phones were also on two different carriers...There has to be some pattern amongst these devices not receiving push notifications for whatsapp. I just tried messaging my coworker sitting right next to me with a Note 2 on Sprint, and it works fine both ways...

:laugh:

So just cause you don't have any problems, you disregard all the other posts and links where hundreds of people do have said issue? :rofl:   ok maybe widespread isn't  the best word, but if you take your time and read through a couple of reviews it amounts to hundreds, then add google search to that, it easily becomes thousands...

Well here's a pattern for us to figure out

Galaxy young on 2.3.6

Galaxy ace on 2.3.1 ( I think)

Two S4s ( my GF and I)  4.2.2

Galaxy S3  4.2.1

HTC S  4.2.1

S3 on 4.2.2 ( Got around it using a custom rom)

So I dunno 

Ugh, I hate it when I press back on accident and lose my reply. To quickly summarize again:

Delayed notifications can be caused by COUNTLESS numbers of issues. Just because you posted a bunch of links of phones with notification delays, doesn't mean they are the same issue as yours, or that all phones have the issue. I didn't read every thread you posted to the end in case they all came to the exact same conclusion as the problem though. What I'm confused with though is why you continue to point to this as an Android issue and continue to link to a bug that has nothing to do with your issue. The bug you linked to is an issue when wifi is on and set to never sleep. You have an issue with wifi and cell, and you even changed your wifi to never sleep as an attempt to fix the issue, which is a bit backwards if you'd read what the bug is actually about.

So from everything you've said, it sounds like a WhatsApp issue. I'm not saying Android doesn't have issues like the one you posted, but that's not what you're running into. That leaves your choices as use WhatsApp and deal with it, or don't use WhatsApp. Either way, I don't see much else we can do to help you. WhatsApp has already told you it's a known issue they are working on.

Ugh, I hate it when I press back on accident and lose my reply. To quickly summarize again:

Delayed notifications can be caused by COUNTLESS numbers of issues. Just because you posted a bunch of links of phones with notification delays, doesn't mean they are the same issue as yours, or that all phones have the issue. I didn't read every thread you posted to the end in case they all came to the exact same conclusion as the problem though. What I'm confused with though is why you continue to point to this as an Android issue and continue to link to a bug that has nothing to do with your issue. The bug you linked to is an issue when wifi is on and set to never sleep. You have an issue with wifi and cell, and you even changed your wifi to never sleep as an attempt to fix the issue, which is a bit backwards if you'd read what the bug is actually about.

So from everything you've said, it sounds like a WhatsApp issue. I'm not saying Android doesn't have issues like the one you posted, but that's not what you're running into. That leaves your choices as use WhatsApp and deal with it, or don't use WhatsApp. Either way, I don't see much else we can do to help you. WhatsApp has already told you it's a known issue they are working on.

Ok so a brief resume of all the links which I did take the time to read (cause I had no choice really) end up in one think: notifications not working. Oh I agree, delayed notifications can be caused by a myriad of issues, but most of them, where on STOCK android, Telco issues discarded and in most cases similar to mine, brand new phone.

I point to the wifi issue, is a "plus" so to say, because it happens on wifi as well, which is what I narrowed it down to, that specific wifi bug, because any other notification gmail, chaton doesn't work with wifi so in that specific case it's hard to "blame" only on whatsapp.

Since this started happening whatsapp android was 2.10.661, quietly nightly builds got to 2.11 and whilst mobile data has improved, i'm guessing the wifi part of it is more related to that bug i've so annoyingly pointed many  times.

Or closing tabs by mistake :angry: ( I just to retype the whole thing again ...)

I agree there's not much I can do but bitch about it   :p