To buy or not to buy..

I posted this on another forum with no responses yet so lets give Neowin a shot.

Here is my current setup

Panasonic 55" VT50
Onyko 809
Fronts: Polk 70s, Surrounds: Polk 50s, Sub:PSW505, Center: Paradigm
Optoma HD33
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD

A local guy is selling off his high-end gear at a loss...

Not likely for me to buy:

JVC-HD350 with 1100 hours on the bulb, comes with dalite 110 screen and mount (asking $2000)

Interested in:

B&W 600 series speakers

2x683 towers

2x685 bookshelf

1xHTM61 center

(asking $2000)

More interested in:

Onkyo 3010 (asking $1100)

now as you can see I already own a fairly decent onkyo 809 which is in great condition so I could prob sell it.. maybe for $450?  But I am not sure if its worth the upgrade.  Hopefully there are some HT lurkers on this site that can help me out.  Thanks!

While it's not a huge upgrade, if you can sell your old receiver I'd say definitely jump on the 3010. In your situation I'd probably lean more towards getting the speakers as I think they'd be a better upgrade for the money. I'm not too familiar with B&W (I'm a Klipsch person myself), but I'm sure they'd sound a bit better than your current Polk Audio setup. I'd say maybe offer him $2500 for the speakers and receiver and work out a deal, then try to sell your old equipment. Maybe spend a bit of what you get back on a nicer sub. I've got a hsu VTF-15H and I couldn't be happier. I can't wait until I can move it all into a bigger room and unleash the sub a bit more! Good luck.

While it's not a huge upgrade, if you can sell your old receiver I'd say definitely jump on the 3010. In your situation I'd probably lean more towards getting the speakers as I think they'd be a better upgrade for the money. I'm not too familiar with B&W (I'm a Klipsch person myself), but I'm sure they'd sound a bit better than your current Polk Audio setup. I'd say maybe offer him $2500 for the speakers and receiver and work out a deal, then try to sell your old equipment. Maybe spend a bit of what you get back on a nicer sub. I've got a hsu VTF-15H and I couldn't be happier. I can't wait until I can move it all into a bigger room and unleash the sub a bit more! Good luck.

Thanks, I can certainly throw the offer out there and hope for the best.  I looked up the B&Ws and the set would sell for $2800 (this is at Best Buys Magnolia section) so add a few hundred.  Reviews seem good, he said I can go and demo them since they are still hooked up.  And that is a beast of a sub... must rattle your teeth.