Sony launches two new E-series Walkmen with big batteries and bigger bass

I still use my iPod classic to listen to music on the train to and from work. Reasons being that it's got a way larger storage capacity than my phone which allows me to have my entire library wherever i go and that i only have to charge it every month or so.

Maybe it's just me but why would you purchase a stand alone mp3 player when you can just use your smart phone (which almost everyone has today) to do the same?

You would need to carry two devices instead of one. I just dont see the logic behind it......  :|

I have a dedicated Mp3 player because i cycle a lot and go to the gym, so i take a little mp3 player instead. Mainly because i don't want to get sweat on my phone and it is a bit bulky (S3) to carry round.

It is going to have to competitively priced for it to want me to replace my Sandisk Clip you can get those for under ?50 and they support microsd.

I remember the days when phones didn't really have a decent dedicated music player, i used to own a Creative Zen 60GB. The thing was an actual hard drive. It used to spin up and you could feel it in your pocket spinning up. Thank god i was in my baggy jeans phase and my pockets could hold the thing.

Maybe it's just me but why would you purchase a stand alone mp3 player when you can just use your smart phone (which almost everyone has today) to do the same?

You would need to carry two devices instead of one. I just dont see the logic behind it......

Times I use my iPod are the times I wouldn't be carrying my phone, so no - I don't carry two devices.  Specifically holidays.  I'd never dream of taking my phone to the beach or out-and-about in some countries, but I'd worry significantly less about my iPod.

It also is a battery issue.  When traveling long distances I listen to music on the iPod, and keep the phone for phone calls.

So, just because you personally can't see the logic, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.  In fact, the situation that these devices exist, kind of justifies that there is a need.

You would need to carry two devices instead of one. I just dont see the logic behind it......  :|

You know they might be targeting people that DON'T have a smart phone. People still have non-smartphones you know. Oh and then there are the kids that want to listen to music but their parents don't want to give them a smartphone yet. Oh and the work places that don't allow phones or non-locked completely down phones for security purposes. I could go on but i think i made my point.

In before apple sues for it look like an ipod.

except it doesn't and the e-series has looked the same since the original model back i don't even remember when