PS4?s digital library lets you play games anywhere

Sony has spoken about accessing your PS4 games on any machine, and how PlayStation 4?s ability to ?play as you download? makes, ?a digital [game] library a practical option in the real world?.

PS4?s digital library lets you play games anywhere

Speaking at Develop, Neil Brown, Sony?s R&D senior team leader, outlined the process that lets you access your games on other machines at other people?s houses:

?You can visit your friends house you can log into your account and play any game from your digital library, which is good. But how useful is that if it takes half a day to download the game you want to play? With Play As You Download you get much quicker access to at least the first section of the game so you can start playing quicker. So this makes a digital library a practical option in the real world.?

He also explained more about how the same system means you?ll never have to wait for games to install. Instead you can play instantly but still benefit from the faster loading and streaming from PS4?s hard drive thanks to more background processes:

?A similar system also works on Blu-ray, chunks are automatically copied to the hard drive in the background. This means that after the first few minutes your game can rely on having faster read speeds from the hard drive. Which provides a better experience for players, and this is a completely background process for the player. They don?t have to wait for anything to install before playing the game. The game will launch as soon as the disk has been put in the drive.?

Source: http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/07/10/ps4s-digital-library-lets-you-play-your-games-anywhere-on-anyones-console/

So if you want to go to a friends house you can only realistically expect to play the first part of the game :p

It means basically its doing the same thing that Microsoft wanted to without the DRM restrictions.

It means basically its doing the same thing that Microsoft wanted to without the DRM restrictions.

eh, no, it means it's doing what microsoft already does on the 360. and wat they're also doing on the One, except MS will have 100% of the titles released as digital downloads on day of release, so far Sony hasn't promised any such thing, but they pretty much have to. 

eh, no, it means it's doing what microsoft already does on the 360. and wat they're also doing on the One, except MS will have 100% of the titles released as digital downloads on day of release, so far Sony hasn't promised any such thing, but they pretty much have to. 

I thought they got rid of the sharing with the One?  Either way.. I can see a use it, however especially with the caps we have here in Canada.. it will have to be monitored closely.   Hell netflix alone can go over my BW cap.

?You can visit your friends house you can log into your account and play any game from your digital library, which is good. But how useful is that if it takes half a day to download the game you want to play? With Play As You Download you get much quicker access to at least the first section of the game so you can start playing quicker. So this makes a digital library a practical option in the real world.?

Well... yea.. how else would it know what games you have?? Also, can still take the disc over and play it 100% un-restricted.

The video says it's limited to playing on one console at a time. How does Sony plan on enforcing that without DRM? :/

By forcing you to login to your account.  It's not so much as "sharing" it's just accessing your own stuff yourself from any system.   I don't see it as sharing,  sharing to me would be if I have a digital copy of a game, I pick you from my friends list and now you can play the game to on your own system on your own account, not using mine.   Like if I had given you a disc.

By forcing you to login to your account.  It's not so much as "sharing" it's just accessing your own stuff yourself from any system.   I don't see it as sharing,  sharing to me would be if I have a digital copy of a game, I pick you from my friends list and now you can play the game to on your own system on your own account, not using mine.   Like if I had given you a disc.

Yeah, there's nothing about this that has anything to do with sharing. 

The video says it's limited to playing on one console at a time. How does Sony plan on enforcing that without DRM? :/

Could be something like:  Can only have 1 Account logged into at the same time twice.  WoW does that kind of, can only be logged in to an account at one time. 

So, login to one machine, go offline, Sign in to second machine, go offline > third> fourth > fifth etc. I find it hard to believe Sony won't do anything to stop this.

Could be something like:  Can only have 1 Account logged into at the same time twice.  WoW does that kind of, can only be logged in to an account at one time. 

That would require <gasp> always-online :pinch: .

Except not.

You can set a PS4 as a "home" PS4 which is the machine that library is being shared from.

So, login to one machine, go offline, Sign in to second machine, go offline > third> fourth > fifth etc. I find it hard to believe Sony won't do anything to stop this.

I'm sure there will be SOMETHING.  But it isn't as restrictive. I am not sony so I can't speak for them.   I assume that the games will only be launchable via an online interface.   So if offline  it can't be launched due to basic technicalities.  

Except not.

You can set a PS4 as a "home" PS4 which is the machine that library is being shared from.

what part of "YOU HAVE TO LOG IN ON THE OTHER CONSOLE TO PLAY" do you have a problem understanding ? 

This is nothing new...Xbox 360 has this feature (and I actually used it yesterday). Good for PS4...I guess? They had thing type of thing on PS3 but only a certain amount of consoles at a time.

DOES TYPING IN CAPS MAKE YOUR POINT ANY LESS WRONG?

I can't remember where I saw it as I've been on a 30 day holiday from Neowin and I didn't think to save it, but someone attached to Sony said that you could set a PS4 as the "home" machine and link other machines to that to get access to the library. I don't think it is just logging in with the home machines account.

I'm sure there will be SOMETHING.  But it isn't as restrictive. I am not sony so I can't speak for them.   I assume that the games will only be launchable via an online interface.   So if offline  it can't be launched due to basic technicalities.  

That's what I expect, if you're not online at the time you cant start the "digital" version of the game on a system that's not your main/home one.   It could also just require you to be online anyways, it's downloading as you play so if that gets broken it will probably kick you out.

DOES TYPING IN CAPS MAKE YOUR POINT ANY LESS WRONG?

I can't remember where I saw it as I've been on a 30 day holiday from Neowin and I didn't think to save it, but someone attached to Sony said that you could set a PS4 as the "home" machine and link other machines to that to get access to the library. I don't think it is just logging in with the home machines account.

We're going with the article AB posted which doesn't have any of that info in it.  Nor does the video that was also posted talking about it.   This is the first I've heard of any type of system linking coming up.

That's what I expect, if you're not online at the time you cant start the "digital" version of the game on a system that's not your main/home one.   It could also just require you to be online anyways, it's downloading as you play so if that gets broken it will probably kick you out.

It's like.. buffering.   So I assume if the download gets broken, it will let you play upto the point you have downloaded.  I am not sure if it downloads what is required for zones, or how it works.  As I say, I don't have any clue how it will work.  

Games will probably be broken down into chunks in the design phase of all games now.

You can't start games straight away you will probably have to wait for all the files the game needs just to load to main menu and then the first level or two before it will allow you to start playing. You will probably get a warning after a level has ended that you don't have the rest of the game.

For open world I imagine that you are going to have to download pretty much the full game minus any cutscenes, audio files, areas you can't get to straight away before you can start to play.

Ok, doesn't excuse Mr Attitude up there.

Doesn't excuse me for not making **** up you mean ? I'm sorry that I didn't make up any fake rumors to make the PS4 sound better. ok that better ?

It's like.. buffering.   So I assume if the download gets broken, it will let you play upto the point you have downloaded.  I am not sure if it downloads what is required for zones, or how it works.  As I say, I don't have any clue how it will work.  

That'd be the best way to do it but it also depends on the game right?  I mean how do you break up a open world type game?   Either way, once you hit the end of what you have you'll get kicked out in the end.  I don't see what else you can do, it'd be like a demo, spit you back to the main screen at best.

You can't start games straight away you will probably have to wait for all the files the game needs just to load to main menu and then the first level or two before it will allow you to start playing. You will probably get a warning after a level has ended that you don't have the rest of the game.

Halo 2 on PC let you play while the game installed, but saying that it was from a disc. I'm not so sure how it'll work for a digital version.