Powercut, who is liable for damage?

What about the emotional damage I may suffer when I can't get on Neowin ... :/

Said "shock" is covered under the all encompassing Neowin terms of service guarantee.In short this covers mandated self induced single digit disconnection techniques and the use of bipedal motion in the direction of the nearest recreational area of interest.

I successfully claimed back for a fridge freezer full of food once but that was after a 3 day outage. As far as i'm aware they're under no obligation to do that as it was caused by an act of god (Hurricane) and it was merely a gesture of good will.

This was UK based btw.

If it is in warranty you could get the manufacturer to pay. If it is not you could possibly get your home insurance to pay but you still have to pay your deductible. In all honesty, it isn't worth that much in the grand scheme of things just suck it up if out of warranty and pick up a new one. It isn't a 10k+ loss.

Learn from your mistake and put a good ups that protects your equipment from these types of surges and lightening strikes. A good ups will condition the voltage and amps going to your computer equipment. Businesses do go looking to the government or to the power company for loss when there is a power outage.

The "Einstein" of today would probably sue his own family for letting the apple drop on his head rather than it prompting him to spend time and effort researching something and coming up with a constructive solution.

Newton meanwhile would have sued Einstein because Newton had copyright on the old 'Apple drop on his head' trick, but that would have only been after Apple sued Newton for using the word 'Apple' in a effort to describe gravity.

If it is in warranty you could get the manufacturer to pay. If it is not you could possibly get your home insurance to pay but you still have to pay your deductible. In all honesty, it isn't worth that much in the grand scheme of things just suck it up if out of warranty and pick up a new one. It isn't a 10k+ loss.

Learn from your mistake and put a good ups that protects your equipment from these types of surges and lightening strikes. A good ups will condition the voltage and amps going to your computer equipment. Businesses do go looking to the government or to the power company for loss when there is a power outage.

mixing a few things here though

He suffered a power loss, these shouldn't damage the equipment and the power company isn't liable outside of warning you of known power drops and eqipment should handle a power loss. for extended losses, they may be liable for certain things like food and heat.

For power surges however, the company is liable for any damages, they are contractually obliged to provide power within certain parameters, if there's a spike due to faulty equipment or lines on their or one of their partners side, they are liable for damage. 

for lighting, you should get a proper surge protector in your fuse box, but the power company isn't liable, this is an insurance case if there's damage. Chances are if there's a lighting strike that goes through the power lineS(these would be the big bad ones) a regular power socket surge protector won't help, you need one of these big fuse box ones with some kind of gas separation which instantly refuses to transfer power if it passes above a level, sure it may blow up if there's a good strike, but it'll save the rest of the house and fusebox. 

I successfully claimed back for a fridge freezer full of food once but that was after a 3 day outage. As far as i'm aware they're under no obligation to do that as it was caused by an act of god (Hurricane) and it was merely a gesture of good will.

This was UK based btw.

You can claim for an extended outage, or repeated outages:

How long did the power stay off for?

If the power cut is caused by a fault on the network, you may be entitled to a compensation payment if it:

• lasts for longer than 18 hours in normal weather where the power cut affects less than 5000 homes
  • lasts for longer than 24 hours in normal weather where the power cut affects more than 5000 homes
  • lasts for 24-48 hours in severe weather and
  • is the distributor?s fault.

The amount you can get will be based on how long the power was off.

How many power cuts have you had?

If your power goes off more than four times a year, and for more than three hours each time, you may be entitled to a compensation payment. This will apply if the power cuts were the electricity distributor?s fault and it doesn?t matter whether the cuts were planned or not. The amount you can get will be based on how long the power was off for.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_energy_and_water_supply_e/consumer_energy_supply_e/if_your_gas_or_electricity_goes_off_e/claiming_compensation_when_your_gas_or_electricity_goes_off.htm

Just to add, in 2004 to near 2006 I lived in Wortham, about 3 miles from where I live now.

Electricity outages were the norm.

5 hours at a time, weekly sometimes.

We had two here.

Worst was I was just restoring an image and 48 ish seconds to go and power went off.

I tried phoning the company, southern electric, however their number was in my media drive on my computer, to complain.