Why Nintendo Has No Choice But to Go Multiplatform

I don't really see what there is to discuss about yet another one of those kind of articles. It's just more of the same ###### we've all seen so many times that noone can keep count of it anymore.

Also, it's laughable how he tries to compare rovio to nintendo. Rovio doesn't and never will make anything even remotely close to the amount of money nintendo has. Hell, there are single titles that nintendo has made more money on than rovio has on ALL their angry birds games and merchandise combined. That comparison alone made that article a joke.

• Like 1

I don't really see what there is to discuss about yet another one of those kind of articles. It's just more of the same **** we've all seen so many times that noone can keep count of it anymore.

The difference now is that the Wii U has significantly underperformed market expectations, despite several significant price drops. Third party publishers are abandoning the platform and making public statements to that effect.

Nintendo would do better to ditch consoles and focus on its intellectual property.

The wii u hasn't had a price drop yet. What you may see a random retailer do here and there does not count as an official price drop.

• Like 1

They just need to release an SKU without the massive gamepad and instead bundled a wii u pro controller. Sell that for ?150 and advertise it well and it will sell very well. The console will never do well with such a high price and such a large gamepad, it is an unnatural width to hold, it will never catch on.

They just need to release an SKU without the massive gamepad and instead bundled a wii u pro controller. Sell that for ?150 and advertise it well and it will sell very well. The console will never do well with such a high price and such a large gamepad, it is an unnatural width to hold, it will never catch on.

Uh, no.  That would be even more useless than the Wii Mini.  Every Wii-u game in some way depends up on the Gamepad (MH3 can be played without but it's better with).

Game patches can be released to make it so that games don't use the gamepad's screen. The console will always be expensive due to the gamepad is expensive to manufacture. The Wii U will never sell well as a result of this. Getting rid of the gamepad in a cheaper sku is their only option for the wii u to sell well. Nintendo's own games aren't going to save this console, they will certainly help enough but i can't see that being enough.

The fact that the O.S was very slow and still will be for about ~2months also didn't help with sales figures.

Game patches can be released to make it so that games don't use the gamepad's screen. The console will always be expensive due to the gamepad is expensive to manufacture. The Wii U will never sell well as a result of this. Getting rid of the gamepad in a cheaper sku is their only option for the wii u to sell well. Nintendo's own games aren't going to save this console, they will certainly help enough but i can't see that being enough.

The fact that the O.S was very slow and still will be for about ~2months also didn't help with sales figures.

:|

Nonsense.  1st party games have always been Nintendo's forte.  A price cut would be nice but there is NO WAY that they will release a Wii-U where the GamePad is optional.  That would be suicide.

By the way, have you ever actually even USED a Wii-U?  The GamePad is what makes a Wii-U unique.

I don't really see what there is to discuss about yet another one of those kind of articles. It's just more of the same **** we've all seen so many times that noone can keep count of it anymore.

The fact this issue keeps coming up makes it relevant. I'm sorry if it bothers you that the chorus of people criticizing Nintendo's poor performance is getting louder.

You're free to blame "lazy" 3rd party devs for the Wii U's poor performance like you usually do.

• Like 1

The fact this issue keeps coming up makes it relevant. I'm sorry if it bothers you that the chorus of people criticizing Nintendo's poor performance is getting louder.

You're free to blame "lazy" 3rd party devs for the Wii U's poor performance like you usually do.

The system hasn't even been out a ######ing year yet.

Look at the launches of EVERY console EVER.  After the initial launch of a system, there is ALWAYS a 6+month lag until the next wave of games come out.  Nintendo has some massive titles in the pipeline that will sell systems. 

If in a year from now the Wii-U isn't selling well/doesn't have a large adaption rate, THEN you can bring up this crap again (although Nintendo will NEVER go multiplatform).

Nintendo have "never" endured this kind of thing before eh?

Sorry but as fancy  a write up as you can, Nintendo have endured much more than this before. N64 for one, Gamecube, Virtual Boy?

Just because we have the retrospective of Sega, != Nintendo.

Sorry but as fancy  a write up as you can, Nintendo have endured much more than this before. N64 for one, Gamecube, Virtual Boy?

Please tell me you didn't put N64 into the same catagory as Virtual Boy...

I hope you aren't trying to imply that the N64 and Gamecube were failures.

Please tell me you didn't put N64 into the same catagory as Virtual Boy...

My point was each had software vacuums, each had what seemed like slow or lesser uptake rates than its rivals, and each has been and will be remembered as a decent console. Maybe not the VB, but its now seeing a possible revival on Wii-U I think.

I hope you aren't trying to imply that the N64 and Gamecube were failures.

Unfortunately the N64 and GC were failures, however remember Nintendo has always been strong in the portable market, so Nintendo still is making  alot of money meaning they will not need to go multiplatform even if the Wii U fails. :)

Nintendo will not go multi platform..I think there be a new console that everyone will be surprise and shock about because Nintendo finally heard what the gamers have been asking for and I think we probably see a announcement of this at the 2014 E3.They may had planned on this to let Sony and Microsoft get ahead of them then make a better consoles that out performs both of them when both of there new consoles are already out.If not then by second guess be that Nintendo will be merge With Sony or Microsoft and the person that makes Zelda games and the Mario games said he coming out with a new ip for Nintendo.

They wont and have no need. They own more than enough money and assets to keep going strong even with the risk of the wiiU. Nintendo have always been about taking risks and staying ahead at some point soon they will make something everyone will want and make it cheaper than the competition. 

They will make a crap load of cash off side projects anyway such as card games, toys, clothes etc etc. 

Nintendo has never been about beind ahead of the curve. They chose cartridges instead of optical media and while it didn't sell all that great and had terrible third party support (hmmm sounds familiar), it had several of the best video games ever.

The system hasn't even been out a ****ing year yet.

Irrelevant. Its sales are way, way under expectation, and in the not too distant future it is going to have 2 considerably more powerful and useful consoles to contend with. Unless Nintendo slashes deeply into the pricing of both the hardware and the games, which are usually ridiculously over-priced, they don't have a prayer.

Going multiplatform really halped Sega ...

In the end they had no choice. The writing was on the wall for Sega but they ignored it.

Irrelevant. Its sales are way, way under expectation, and in the not too distant future it is going to have 2 considerably more powerful and useful consoles to contend with. Unless Nintendo slashes deeply into the pricing of both the hardware and the games, which are usually ridiculously over-priced, they don't have a prayer.

No, it's not irrelevant. The 3ds started out slow and under expectations until nearly a year after it's launch, then it went to become the best current mobile gaming platform out there. And that's with a somewhat more powerful piece of hardware as its competition. There's nothing to say the slow start to doing just fine(note that i said "just fine", not "best platform") wont happen again with the wii u.