Why Nintendo Has No Choice But to Go Multiplatform

No, it's not irrelevant. The 3ds started out slow and under expectations until nearly a year after it's launch, then it went to become the best current mobile gaming platform out there. 

As far as I know, Nintendo has no intention of offering any price cut for the Wii U. The 3DS sales prior to the very deep price cut weren't all that great either. People considered the glassesless 3D stuff gimmicky and pointless. Most probably still do. 

If the Wii U sales were a little closer to the expectations and 3rd parties were talking about developing for the Wii U then this would be all undeserved doom & gloom. The X1 and PS4 releases are barreling towards us at prices that aren't all that much more expensive than a Wii U with much more interesting software. Nintendo has to offer price drops on their hardware and software if they intend on surviving in the long term,

Multiplatform will never happen because then there would be no reason to buy a wii at all after that and Nintendo knows if they do that, then it's basically giving the wii a death sentence no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you aren't trying to imply that the N64 and Gamecube were failures.

Actually as it turns out they both were, but for different reasons.

The N64, while it sold well, signalled the death knell for Nintendo's dominance over third parties and ultimately cost Nintendo very dearly - in fact, their third party support hasn't recovered ever since. Not only that, but the lower-then-expected sales (I believe to the tune of around 35-40m, IIRC) hurt Nintendo financially. While each console garnered profit, the overall profits were much lower.

The Gamecube was designed to make Nintendo quite a lot of money on each console sold, as the N64 crippled them. While it was a financial success, in terms of market share it absolutely got destroyed by its competitors selling a meagre 22-24m units - which is almost what the Wii managed to do every year.

I love the N64 and GCN, but in terms of business they weren't shining examples.

Quite frankly I see the Wii U's third party support similar to that of the GCN - starting off well, and then slowly but surely declining until all but a few third party exclusives are left.