Hum

MARSHFIELD, Wis. (AP) ? A masked robber apparently thought the 96-year-old owner of a neighborhood grocery store in Marshfield would be an easy target for his crime. But, he was so wrong.

Margaretta Wolf has owned the store bearing her family name for 54 years. And she wasn't about to turn over her cash to the armed intruder after he ordered her to open the cash register.

"I said: 'I'm not opening up that cash register and that's it, I'm not opening it. I said you can have all the Tootsie Rolls you want but I am not opening that cash register,'" said Wolf.

The man in the silver mask and carrying a knife continued to give Wolf orders during the robbery attempt Monday.

"He said, 'Walk in the back of the store,' I said, 'I'm not walking no place, I'm standing right here,'" Wolf recounted.

The elderly store owner stood her ground when the man flashed a pocketknife and placed it on the counter.

"I said, 'I'll press a button and I'll have somebody here in seconds,'" she said.

Wolf said the would-be robber appeared frustrated, looked around, spotted a security camera in the corner, grabbed the knife and fled.

Marshfield Police Lt. Darren Larsen said he's just glad Wolf is OK.

"In this instance, certainly again while not recommended with what took place, we're just very, very happy Marge was not injured," Larsen told WAOW-TV (http://bit.ly/1dEr1wX ).

Wolf said she has a few words for the suspect when police catch up with him.

"What do I say to him? I say I think you got some punishments coming, and it will be a little bit more than scrubbing the floor," she said.

exotoxic

Imagine if she had a gun, she could have shot him and that would be 1 less criminal :sorcerer: 

• Like 2
astropheed

I love crazy-stubborn old ladies.

• Like 2
illage3

Awesome :) it shows that even the eldarly have the courage to stand up to people like this.

HawkMan

Awesome :) it shows that even the eldarly have the courage to stand up to people like this.

Or that old people who has lived life already can afford to risk their life for silly stands.

Hum

Staff all stores with little old ladies -- crime wave solved.

DocM

I love crazy-stubborn old ladies.

Me too. My grandma Billie (Willamina), all 4' 11" of her, would have beat him senseless with a wet towel - the way she laid down the law with her 5 oversized Nordic sons :D

• Like 1
neohelp

She was stupid. This could have ended a lot worst.

DocM

Maybe so, but you have to admit that for an old lady she has a big, brass pair of balls :)

+warwagon

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Ring makes two-factor authentication mandatory for all users
      by Jay Bonggolto

Ring announced today two extra security measures meant to help you fend off unauthorized access to your account and beef up privacy. The company says it is making two-factor authentication (2FA) mandatory for all user logins and is introducing more tools to limit the information you share with third-party service providers.

2FA has long been available for all Ring accounts. Starting today, however, you will need to verify your login attempt each time you sign in using a new device. The verification comes in the form of a six-digit code you'll need to enter before your access gets approved. That code will be sent to your registered email address or phone number. The goal is to prevent unauthorized access and know when someone else is trying to take hold of your account. This also applies to all shared users on your account.

Ring is also bolstering user privacy with new options in the new Control Center meant to restrict the things shared with third-party service providers. Starting this week, Ring users can choose not to share information with third-party advertisers. For those who will opt out, that means they will no longer receive personalized ads, although non-personalized ads will still be visible every now and then.

Additionally, the Amazon-owned service has paused the use of most third-party analytics services in the Ring apps and website as it works to let you opt out of those services in the Control Center. More options for limiting the information you share with third-party service providers are coming in early spring.

• By News Staff
      Save 70% off this iPM World 360-degree 1080p wireless IP security camera
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Gear + Gadgets section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can Save 70% off this iPM World 360-degree 1080p wireless IP security camera. Stream panorama views of your space to your phone and keep an eye on anything from your dog to your belongings.

What's the deal?
      Home security cameras are designed to give us peace of mind, but all that goes out the window if a hacker manages to tap into your feed. Offering complete video encryption, this HD panoramic camera ensures your footage stays private, all the while giving you 360 degrees of uncompromising viewing potential. Access live streaming from you iOS or Android phone, and even turn the camera's angle right from the app. It's everything you need to feel good about leaving home.

Keep tabs on your living space w/ 360° panoramic views View footage from your smartphone w/ the WiFi client View footage day or night w/ infrared night vision Keep your footage private w/ multiple encryption protocols Rotate the camera w/ your phone to get the perfect angle Fit it anywhere thanks to its compact size
      Good to know
      Ships To Contiguous US Expected Delivery: Nov 23 - Nov 26 All sales final. For a full description, specs, and terms, click here.

What's the benefit?
      This his iPM World 360-degree 1080p wireless IP security camera set normally costs $139.99 , but you can pick it up for just $39.99 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $100 (70%) off!

There's also an optional 1- or 2-year warranty you can add to your purchase.

>> Click here to purchase or learn more <<
      See all discounted Gear + Gadgets on offer. This is a time-limited deal.

Save even more!
      Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts.

Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here.

No, your privacy was not breached at NordVPN (see why).

Miscellany and the fine print!
      In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase.

Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software for Private Internet Access and NordVPN deals.

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.

• By Namerah S
      Foxconn changes plans about Wisconsin campus yet again
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

A few days ago, Louis Woo, special assistant to Foxconn's Chief Executive Terry Gou, made a statement to Reuters disclosing that the company was changing its strategy and no longer planned to build an LCD manufacturing factory in Wisconsin. Woo also mentioned that the company might consider building a “technology hub” in its stead, mainly consisting of research facilities, with some assembly and packaging operations on the side, however, nothing concrete was announced.

Foxconn first announced the Wisconsin project in 2017. Scott Walker, governor of Wisconsin at that time, enabled the manufacturer to receive an astounding $4.5 billion in taxpayer subsidies, expecting the creation of 13,000 jobs from the $10 billion project. Back then the company made many promises, such as Gen 10.5 facilities for LCD production, equipped with the latest technology. While Foxconn had seemingly changed its plans for the facility at Wisconsin, it did reaffirm its intention on delivering the number of jobs promised.

Today, after talks were allegedly held with the White House, the behemoth tech manufacturer decided to change its plans yet again, and says a factory is being built after all. In a statement to The Verge, Foxconn said:

In place of the original Gen 10.5 factory, the Taiwanese company plans on making a much smaller plant called a Gen 6 facility. It will still be bigger than the assembliy plant that would be part of the "technology hub" mentioned earlier, however, it will not create as many jobs for blue-collar manufacturing workers as promised initially. Instead, it will have a large focus on "high technology innovation" in addition to manufacturing.

As for the expected launch date and project schedule for the Gen 6 facility, Foxconn made no further comment and did not disclose any more information on the matter.

Source: The Verge

• By Sszecret
      Amazon debuts $119.99 Cloud Cam intelligent indoor camera
      by Florin Bodnarescu

Beyond the original Echo smart speaker, the Echo Show, Dot, and Amazon Tap, the retailer has set its sights onto the security scene with a brand new "intelligent camera", the Cloud Cam.

The $119.99 unit has 1080p FHD resolution, two-way audio, night vision, 24/7 livestream capabilities, and makes use of "computer vision algorithms" that detect motion and are continuously improving. Furthermore, the Cloud Cam can very easily interact with the Echo Show, Spot, Amazon Fire TV, and Fire Tablet, or with the free iOS or Android apps. Since the device is powered by AWS on the backend, it uses the aforementioned service to securely store the clips it records - for free. Videos from the last 24 hours can be accessed easily by using the dedicated mobile app.

It is important to stress that in order to get some of the more advanced features - like person detection, the ability to set up zones, get more storage and the ability to download and share recorded clips - you need a Cloud Cam subscription. The free tier only stores videos for the last 24 hours, and can be used with up to three cameras. The other tiers are as follows:

Features / Tiers Free (Included) Basic Extended Pro Storage 24 hours 7 days 14 days 30 days Cameras Up to 3 Up to 3 Up to 5 Up to 10 Notifications Yes Yes Yes Yes Person detection No Yes Yes Yes Zones No Yes Yes Yes Unlimited sharing
      (download + share videos) No Yes Yes Yes Price $0 $6.99 / month
      $69.99/ year $9.99/ month
      $99.99/ year

$19.99/ month
      $199.99/ year If you purchase the device - available now to pre-order, ships November 8 to U.S. customers - Amazon includes a 30-day free trial of any of the Cloud Cam subscriptions above, so you can try them out.

Something else that needs addressing is the Amazon Key In-Home Kit, which includes a Cloud Cam (Key Edition), and a smart lock from either Kwikset or Yale. The bundle is priced at $249.99 and is required for Amazon Key to work. Key is a new service that debuted in select cities in the U.S., and is exclusive to Amazon Prime members. It allows you to:

The Amazon Cloud Cam can be pre-ordered now as an individual device for $119.99, a two-pack for $199.99 (discounted from $239.98 with code 2CLOUDCAM) or as a three-pack for $289.99 (discounted from $359.97 with code 3CLOUDCAM). The offer is time-limited - although no deadline has been provided - and only applies to the regular Cloud Cam device, not the Key Edition, for single orders, not those made using the 1-Click capability.

• By Hum
      MILWAUKEE, Jan. 4 (UPI) -- A Wisconsin resident's outdoor security camera captured some mysterious feline footage that has reignited rumors about a so-called "Milwaukee Lion."

Isaiah Hair said he received an alert on his phone early Jan. 1 alerting him to movement detected by the security camera in his back yard, leading him to check the footage.

The video revealed what appears to be a large feline strolling across Hair's yard.

"People gonna say it's like a regular house cat," Hair told WISN-TV. "I've seen house cats on my camera before, and they didn't seem that long, that tall."

The footage reignited rumors that stemmed from a July 2015 video that showed what looks like a mountain lion wandering Milwaukee's Brewer's Hill neighborhood. Police and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources investigated the sighting, but no animal was ever located or positively identified.

source & video