AdBlock disables Neowin

I don't see the point in paying for a site I barely use, I used to come on the forums a lot but there are extreme biases towards certain companies on this site that ruins the discussion/atmosphere.

Barely use? You're on here every day :p

The ads that do get to me though are the ones on Download services that are download buttons. I really flippin hate searching for the correct download button in a sea of advert versions.

I don't see the point in paying for a site I barely use, I used to come on the forums a lot but there are extreme biases towards certain companies on this site that ruins the discussion/atmosphere.

What biases do you mean, I think you mean that the discussion from members might be bias? If we're talking about Microsoft or game consoles? We're first and foremost a Microsoft site, but we do cover Apple and Google extensively,. we also have a lot of Android reviews, more than Windows Phone.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't mean the site/staff are biased towards companies I love your reviews, but yeah I'm talking about gaming forums.

Yeah, you'll see that anywhere unless the site actively bans discussion on other consoles, like maybe a xbox site or playstation one. All we can do is split off those forums (which we do) and issue warnings to trolls that are reported.

It just means that we have some diehard PS and xbox fans on the same site :P

It's just getting boring having to justify myself to people just because I am negative towards something doesn't mean I am a troll or a fanboy, it's the usual suspects who like to gang up on people.

But yeah back on topic, I only use adblock to get rid of annoying ads that split up content or put hotlinks on keywords in post, I have Neowin whitelisted.

• Like 2

I wouldn't go as far as saying they are thieves, but I totally hate that people gloat about it here, because I'm the one paying the Neowin staff ;)

Also I know about "bad ads" and I really do try to do everything I can to remove them, even ones that aren't malicious like the big download button that was complained about (was in a standard 728x90 ad, no bigger than that). In fact the advertiser pulled it from the entire network as well, agreeing that it was misleading.

Yeah, I wasn't calling you out on that one.

The issue is that other sites do it, so users respond to those sites and despite your good administration, you get tarred with the same (often obliviously applied) ad-blocky brush.

It's just getting boring having to justify myself to people just because I am negative towards something doesn't mean I am a troll or a fanboy, it's the usual suspects who like to gang up on people.

But yeah back on topic, I only use adblock to get rid of annoying ads that split up content or put hotlinks on keywords in post, I have Neowin whitelisted.

Same but with agreeing with things. I call out Google for bad stuff. I call out Apple for bad stuff. I call out MS for bad stuff.

I tend to proselytise for Microsoft because I know their stuff and I know how to make things work. I legitimately like their stuff. Has nothing to do with fanboism and I'm thoroughly sick of that side of the site >.<

That said I started here to get help on a question (and got a lot of **** for asking for it), but I know I can help some people here with problems, so I do what I can :\

Also, random picture thread amuses me >.>

EDIT:: Sorry, off topiced. :\

• Like 3

"Hurr-durr, my ad block disabled the forum I'm visiting for free and has paid journalists"

I see something wrong with this..

"Hurr-durr, my ad block disabled the forum I'm visiting for free and has paid journalists"

I see something wrong with this..

What exactly do you see wrong with this? The writers are paid for their work, which is pretty spot on most of the time. Meanwhile, you get to visit a free site and get advice on any computer problems you're facing for free, a lot of them experts in their field of computing. I'm sorry, I don't see the problem, please enlighten me.

Edit: Here, let me add this   :P

What exactly do you see wrong with this? The writers are paid for their work, which is pretty spot on most of the time. Meanwhile, you get to visit a free site and get advice on any computer problems you're facing for free, a lot of them experts in their field of computing. I'm sorry, I don't see the problem, please enlighten me.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest he was being sarcastic. :P

• Like 3

I think that was his point :)

Erm.. I think you understood me wrong :laugh:

That's exactly what I don't understand, people blocking the biggest revenue of the site and then complaining. :huh: Doubt the subscriptions even cover the server costs lol :/

• Like 2

Erm.. I think you understood me wrong :laugh:

That's exactly what I don't understand, people blocking the biggest revenue of the site and then complaining. :huh:

I'm aware, as Neobond stated, it was a poor attempt at sarcasm. :)

• Like 1

Worry not, I have adblocker disabled for neowin :)

The ads on here aren't intrusive either, so good job on that Neowin :)

What I hate the most on some sites (thank god not on Neowin) are the ones that activate random words on someone's post. /insert rage.

What I hate the most on some sites (thank god not on Neowin) are the ones that activate random words on someone's post. /insert rage.

We had that and disabled it.

• Like 3

There are no ads on my Neowin at work but thats due to work blocking the, :(

at home they are therein there full glory

Also regarding Malware in ads i found a solution for you, use a decent malware scanner. As Neobond says the ads are provided by a 3rd party so they have no control over what comes out but it is always resolved very quickly when there is an issue

Pick your toys up off the floor and put them back in your pram

• Like 2

I hate that myself.  Glad neowin doesn't use them.

So about 5 pence a day? Strange to imagine that some people find that two much for something that they can spend most of their week on.

I've never understood ad blocking software, it hurts the sites you love and if, like me, you don't use any, you soon become immune to ads anyway, i honestly can't tell you what ads are doing the rounds at the moment purely because i no longer notice them.

People use Adblocker mainly for intrusive ad's like those on YouTube.   I have no problems with ads as long as they aren't intrusive which thankfully on neowin they're not. :)