AdBlock disables Neowin

People use Adblocker mainly for intrusive ad's like those on YouTube.   I have no problems with ads as long as they aren't intrusive which thankfully on neowin they're not. :)

As intrusive as the ads on You Tube are (and as much as i hate them) they do serve a purpose which is to pay both Google and the author of the work. I just wish they'd drop video ads and stick with banners.

Those and automatic contextual ads are two good reasons for ad block i guess.

If you didn't relay on company?s like buysellads adblock lists wouldn't be such an issue. Instead of disabling neowin selling adspace directly would give the best of both worlds.

I know youll say your current provider is doing a good job but Id tend to disagree considering there's absolutely no guarantee that the adverts wont be malicious and even those that don't spread malware spread adware to unsuspecting users.

I don't see how you can expect users to ignore this threat to their computer security and privacy. Nothing stopping me from buying an ad and redirecting everyone on neowin to lemonparty or some other shock site.

A bit off-topic but there are video ads on Youtube? :huh:

Yes, there is an ads that is played before the video (it lasts for about 15 sec, but you can skip after half) and also textual ads in the bottom of the video while it's playing.

Did anyone see the tall Nexus 4 Ad at the top of the forums yesterday? Was amusing but a quick refresh changed the Ad. :)

That ad was pulled yesterday.

I also use adblocker on sites where there are too many ads.  I find that if there way too many ads on a website it slows the website down for me, so I have to disable them. Like on CVG and Eurogamer, they have ads that cover the entire of the background and it slows the site down.

We had that and disabled it.

Thank goodness. I've had the forums whitelisted for ages now, but I'm ashamed to say that I had to block the front page a while back due to those stupid in-text ads (I've just whitelisted it again ;) ). I believe the ads were supposed to be opt-out via a page on the advertiser's site, but it never worked for me.

Generally, I do whitelist sites that I use regularly and that have unobtrusive adverts. Most websites depend on advertising income so a blanket blocking isn't really very fair.

Are you sure its gone? I still see it. :laugh:

2rehz7l.jpg

I meant that the tower sized ad was blocked ;)

Thank goodness. I've had the forums whitelisted for ages now, but I'm ashamed to say that I had to block the front page a while back due to those stupid in-text ads (I've just whitelisted it again ;) ). I believe the ads were supposed to be opt-out via a page on the advertiser's site, but it never worked for me.

Generally, I do whitelist sites that I use regularly and that have unobtrusive adverts. Most websites depend on advertising income so a blanket blocking isn't really very fair.

The opt out is cookie based, so if you block them (or an extension does) it won't save it and it will be gone when you clear your browsing data as well.

The opt out is cookie based, so if you block them (or an extension does) it won't save it and it will be gone when you clear your browsing data as well.

I know. To be clear, it did work the first time I opted-out. Then I cleared my cookies and they reappeared, so I opted-out again with plans to whitelist the relevant cookie. But the opt-out didn't work and never did after that first time. I even went so far as to check the cookies set (was set, but ignored). I then tried blocking them specifically by targeting the script URL, but I couldn't get it working. So in the end I had to set it up to whitelist the forums and block the frontpage.

But that is all history now and the ads are whitelisted everywhere on Neowin. :)

Its great and all that ads give you money and keep Neowin running.

The intext ads are frigging horrible, they popup, f*ck up your reading pattern, are distracting...

Usually its untrusting **** spam sites that use inline ads, and neowin is really one of the few that is a proud supporter of it too.

Its great and all that ads give you money and keep Neowin running.

The intext ads are frigging horrible, they popup, f*ck up your reading pattern, are distracting...

Usually its untrusting **** spam sites that use inline ads, and neowin is really one of the few that is a proud supporter of it too.

Just so I didn't misunderstand what you meant, Neowin doesn't display inline text popup ads for members that are logged in.

Just so I didn't misunderstand what you meant, Neowin doesn't display inline text popup ads for members that are logged in.

it doesn't? Oh, guess I can unblock them. point still stands though. I do visit the frontpage regularly without being logged in.

I usually close websites that throw ads like that all into my face, with inline ads popping up on mouse-overs like that.

Quite sure it scares some people away, which would otherwise stay and generate more normal ad income.

even before I was a subscriber i would whitelist neowin as i have done with many other websites. I want to support the sites that I use. I do not see much of a problem seeing an ad every once in a while.

even before I was a subscriber i would whitelist neowin as i have done with many other websites. I want to support the sites that I use. I do not see much of a problem seeing an ad every once in a while.

Exactly my way of thinking.

Out of all the adverts shown on this site, whenever there is a large ad banner right at the top of the page directly above
the Neowin logo. If a large graphical ad-banner is the very first thing you see when visiting any website, then IMO, it is
highly obtrusive. It's a very unsuitable place for any graphical ad-banner. It would be better to ditch it, and replace it
with a few smaller ad-banners on the front page, like putting one after every 3-4 news articles, and the first one can
be sandwiched in between the picture headlines and the first article.

One other type of ad I don't like, are ones that are irrelevant, and totally unrelated to the website's primary content.
Here on Neowin, any adverts for things like the Google Nexus tablets, the latest laptops from the big-name OEMs,
or anything else relating to technology and gadgets, fine, no problem. Scrolling a bit further down the front page
and I saw an ad for life insurance. Earlier, there was one about a 15 minute retirement plan!

Ads for retirement plans and life insurance are totally irrelevant, and should have no place on a tech news website!
It's a bit like going into a health food store, and seeing advertisement posters for McDonalds, KFC and Taco Bell!

For less than the price of your cup of coffee a day you can support the folks here at Neowin, subscribe!

The problem is if you browse lots of sites that offer the same kind of thing, then at which point do you stop.

Another site I visited had a good idea where they displayed an unobtrusive message about why adblockers cause them to lose revnueue.etc which then reminded me to whitelist them.

I do run an adblocker but Neowin is whitelisted most of the time (Usually if it isn't it's because I've reinstalled and forgotten to re-whitelist it)

Considering the following, I added a whitelist for Neowin (never really thought much of it to be honest until I read this thread).

1. Neobond is awesome.

2. I respect him for wanting to make sure ads are non-intrusive.

3. Neowin is awesome.

4. I don't want him to think of me as a thief. <3

• Like 3

I whitelisted Neowin awhile ago on my ad blocker, but I also run NoScript which seems to block ads even with Neowin itself being whitelisted. Oddly the only thing NoScript says its blocking on Neowin is Facebook and Twitter, and nothing else. Not sure why it continues blocking ads, if anyone has any insight I would be willing to try a fix for NoScript (short of disabling NoScript entirely).

I got banned from adsense for placing adverts in between content on my website ages ago, like how it is on Neowin apparently its against there rules.. :S

There is only one place that I use adblock on NW.  That is on the main page for the new forums post box.  There is sooo many times where non-tech posts out number the tech posts and I cannot stand when I see real-world posts about political posts, religion, guns, or something like that.  Fix that and I will no longer use adblock on NW at all.