AdBlock disables Neowin

There are no ads on my Neowin at work but thats due to work blocking the, :(

at home they are therein there full glory

Also regarding Malware in ads i found a solution for you, use a decent malware scanner. As Neobond says the ads are provided by a 3rd party so they have no control over what comes out but it is always resolved very quickly when there is an issue

Pick your toys up off the floor and put them back in your pram

Yeah, because just avoiding the ###### entirely through blocking the ad is a much less intelligent answer.

I run decent anti-malware; I still don't go visiting sites I know have malware on them. Blocking ads is not an unreasonable extra step.

Even leaving that aside, you've still disregarded the primary point that is reinforced in the quoted post below:

Considering the following, I added a whitelist for Neowin (never really thought much of it to be honest until I read this thread).

1. Neobond is awesome.

2. I respect him for wanting to make sure ads are non-intrusive.

3. Neowin is awesome.

4. I don't want him to think of me as a thief. <3

This is a typical user on this subject. He has no interest in ripping off Neowin (as per his 1-4 actions). As soon as it occurred to him he made a change.

Until that post of yours (@ Haggis) the entire thread was perfectly civil. For reference, this kind of horse ###### is the reason I dislike Neowin now days -_-

I got banned from adsense for placing adverts in between content on my website ages ago, like how it is on Neowin apparently its against there rules.. :s

It's to stop click throughs from people who just Ctrl + click the entire way down the page.

Also to stop tricksy click throughs by dishonest admins (not calling you that btw >.<).

• Like 2

There is only one place that I use adblock on NW.  That is on the main page for the new forums post box.  There is sooo many times where non-tech posts out number the tech posts and I cannot stand when I see real-world posts about political posts, religion, guns, or something like that.  Fix that and I will no longer use adblock on NW at all.

You can turn off non-tech related posts in the spy and mini-spy in your profile.

Well, I'm guilty of blocking ads. I had an exception list at one point, but with swapping between computers and devices, OS reinstalls, browser reinstalls, etc, I never keep up with that anymore.

That can only mean one thing... Time to resubscribe!

Edit: Ahh, feeling mighty orange again!

The site has been slow for quite some time for me, and I always wondered why. After seeing this post, I unticked 'do not run on this page' in Adblock (an option I choose for most sites I often visit) and everything's back to normal.

So now I have 2 options. Have adblock enabled on Neowin, or uninstall it completely....

Strange.

The site has been slow for quite some time for me, and I always wondered why. After seeing this post, I unticked 'do not run on this page' in Adblock (an option I choose for most sites I often visit) and everything's back to normal.

So now I have 2 options. Have adblock enabled on Neowin, or uninstall it completely....

Strange.

It could just be coincidental timing with all the upgrades going on behind the scenes?

I use Chrome, with click to play on for plugins.  I see the box for adverts, but have to click if I want to see one (yeah, right).  Does Neowin get money for the non view, or do I have to click for Neowin to get any cash?

They should get a small payment for "Impressions" which is just you viewing it.

They should get more if you click >.<

Ads pay when viewed/loaded and more when clicked yeah.

Yeah, but does it count as a "view" if all I see is the click to run plugin box, and don't click to see the ad?

even before I was a subscriber i would whitelist neowin as i have done with many other websites. I want to support the sites that I use. I do not see much of a problem seeing an ad every once in a while.

I agree. Although I'm not a neowin veteran, the fourms and news are really good.  I'm willing to support Neowin because of the experience I've had so far :)

I also want to point out that if you do whitelist Neowin, some ads display an option called "AdChoices" with an X meaning you can disable the type of ads you don't want to see, this may require either cookie store or being logged into Google to work correctly. When I "mute" an ad, I see options to configure my ad options in my Google Account.

Example of what I mean:

post-2-0-92053100-1374483124.png

post-2-0-77375800-1374483126.png

• Like 3

Adsense/ad choices is all CPC. I once ran a Adwords campaign and got 1 million impressions with 25 clicks. 'twas sad. Anyways I see no need to block ads. Adblock I've found usually horribly slows down the browser and most ads you ignore due to 'banner blindness'. I vote with my page views, if a site has bad ads (and the owner doesn't fix them) I simply don't visit anymore. Donating does help though. I donated $10 to neowin a few months back. I may get a subscription in a few months though. Or a t shirt :p. I <3 Neowin.

• Like 2

Adsense/ad choices is all CPC. I once ran a Adwords campaign and got 1 million impressions with 25 clicks. 'twas sad. Anyways I see no need to block ads. Adblock I've found usually horribly slows down the browser and most ads you ignore due to 'banner blindness'. I vote with my page views, if a site has bad ads (and the owner doesn't fix them) I simply don't visit anymore. Donating does help though. I donated $10 to neowin a few months back. I may get a subscription in a few months though. Or a t shirt :p. I <3 Neowin.

Not to sound rude but...

You would!

True, but we don't ask the world for ad free experience either (yes I know you can get it for "free" as well)  :p

One of the reasons I don't subscribe is because I've received warnings and had my account temporarily suspended in the past, and I would be extremely annoyed if I paid money for something just to have it suspended.  So I don't chance it.

Sorry Neobond if I ###### you off. I think your vent is kinda aimed at me somewhat because I remember mentioning in a post or 2 about using Adblock on Neowin in reference to the 2 reported issues in the past month or so.

Although I understand your plight that ads keep Neowin running, I feel uneasy with them tracking me everywhere online and then creeping me with targeted links or even back to the tech stores I've just visited so I've just blacklisted everything.

I don't spend much time on Neowin but when I do, it's mainly to help out in the computing/network forum so hopefully the ad revenue which you don't get from me for using Adblock can hopefully be recouped back from search engine hits for solutions I post.

Although I understand your plight that ads keep Neowin running, I feel uneasy with them tracking me everywhere online and then creeping me with targeted links or even back to the tech stores I've just visited so I've just blacklisted everything.

I don't spend much time on Neowin but when I do, it's mainly to help out in the computing/network forum so hopefully the ad revenue which you don't get from me for using Adblock can hopefully be recouped back from search engine hits for solutions I post.

I understand how you feel completely because I feel the same way. A solution for me is that I visit Neowin (and most other places, including Gmail) in Chrome and in Incognito Mode.That way, when I close the browser the tracking stuff is gone as well. I can whitelist Neowin and not have to worry about it now.