Lanning: Xbox One team should be fired over indie stance

Well then my attitude stinks too.  95% of indie games are absolute crap and I'd MUCH prefer a marketplace without them.

You're entitled to your opinion.

Thankfully, Microsoft and the rest of the industry would certainly beg to differ. :)

Yay I almost have a full house, ahhell, vcfan, Hawkman, all I need now is Yoghurt guy and a personal attack just because someone doesn't like me criticising Microsoft and I am a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's weird when the attackers are the ones whining about being attacked...

• Like 1

Lanning is overboard with the firing but his points are fair and clear.

Even if devs self publish, Microsoft can still decide if the game is allowed and they also STILL get a cut for being on the Xbox platform like any game.

Self publishing does not automatically mean 99% app store crap. It won't be the Indie channel like 360.

Sony will still be guardian on PSN and disallow most crap. Valve does the same thing with Steam.

Microsoft want devs to have a publisher so the likely outcome is they get a SECOND cut being the publishers themselves. They just want more money and control of pricing.

That is a problem.

Good on Lanning or whoever else speaks up and shame on Microsoft defenders. You can disagree with them, they won't disown you.

How any of you can disagree with more games, self publishing, varied pricing and still controlled by Microsoft so it won't be shovelware. Totally deluded. If that hits a nerve then good, you need to wake up and stop defending Microsoft at every point. It just becomes silly and lessens the neowin community and yes, site is at heart Microsoft/Windows but think for yourselves more. You can love and hate rather than twisting reasons to make Microsoft look good.

The problem is that as soon as you start filtering who can self publish, it's no longer indie. then it's "the guys we deemed acceptable to be on our platform". which is totally contrary to the indie ideals. 

You're entitled to your opinion.

Thankfully, Microsoft and the rest of the industry would certainly beg to differ. :)

Look at XBLG and any unfiltered list of indie games(no that does not include the pay as much as you want packs) and tell me that he's not correct. 

There are some good indie games, yes, BUT most of these are also made by teams with much to big a investment, budget and a dedicated dev team to be called indie. 

Indies... Indies... Indies

Who is he, to call for a firing? Yes he is well known in the industry. How many hits has he and his team made? He's talking like he pumps out hits every 24-36 months, hahaha. Does it suck for 'Indies' that MS is doing this? I'm not not an Indie, so I can't see it from an Indie developers eyes. Am I happy that they have to jump through hoops before their game can be released on Xbox? Yeah kinda, I don't want Xbox Live looking like iOS, & Android stores. For every Fez, Minecraft, Super Meat Boy there is a TON of crap.

1-million turds for 1-diamond. And Sony is going to stand on stage and try to gain momentum with this crap... Oooooooh

No disrespect to Indie developers, but my shiny new Servers, Games that leverage my shiny new servers, Xbox Live now living on my shiny new servers are going to get spotlight first...

More or less, he knows the Xbox Brand is the BIG STAGE for Indie games on consoles (at least in America, it is) and is upset about not being invited to the show... Boo-Hoo... He wants the cake and eat it too...

Butt-Hurt due calling for a firing...

It's obvious he trying to get his 15 minutes of fame while the name Xbox is the most talked about thing right now...LOL

The problem is that as soon as you start filtering who can self publish, it's no longer indie. then it's "the guys we deemed acceptable to be on our platform". which is totally contrary to the indie ideals. 

Forget the indie part, beside the point.

Games without publishers want a fair chance at getting on platforms without being penalised or flatout ignored for stupid reasons.

Filtering games is absolutely the way to go on controlled platforms that try to offer a certain quality experience. A bit of community help would be a good avenue to explore as well.

Microsoft could easily be better if they opened up more and thought about the user more than just their profit margin on select games. More quality games is never ever a bad thing. Money is there but they don't want it because of short sightedness. Look at Minecraft, couldn't be more anti Microsoft polices but an unbelievable success, Well done on securing it but why limit yourself to one game that doesn't match your rigid polices and guidlines.

Not really, it's more like the difference between Tetris rip off 101 vs Hotline Miami 2 getting advertised on the store. However certain gamers sure like to act like a bunch of dumb rednecks when it comes to the "but I can't learn how to spend my bucks myself on good indie games so I'd rather have advertisements do it for me".

Not like there isn't a sea of completely **** retail titles to navigate through every generation  :rolleyes: The double standards used to defend allegiances are pretty damn hilarious.

• Like 2

Well then my attitude stinks too.  95% of indie games are absolute crap and I'd MUCH prefer a marketplace without them.

How old are you?

I think killing off XNA is a bigger issue, but if the indie rules prevent New & Tasty, and other games of similar quality, then yeah, it's a problem.

Not really, it's more like the difference between Tetris rip off 101 vs Hotline Miami 2 getting advertised on the store. However certain gamers sure like to act like a bunch of dumb rednecks when it comes to the "but I can't learn how to spend my bucks myself on good indie games so I'd rather have advertisements do it for me".

Not like there isn't a sea of completely **** retail titles to navigate through every generation  :rolleyes: The double standards used to defend allegiances are pretty damn hilarious.

Wow, NONE of that had anything to do with what I said. 

Look at XBLG and any unfiltered list of indie games(no that does not include the pay as much as you want packs) and tell me that he's not correct. 

There are some good indie games, yes, BUT most of these are also made by teams with much to big a investment, budget and a dedicated dev team to be called indie. 

So please explain to me the part where it'd be a good idea to just wipe them all from the market, as he was insisting. That's rather petty and immature at best. It's not like anyone's forcing him to buy anything. If he doesn't like what's on the menu, move on. Simple as that.

Ridiculous. :sleep2:

How old are you?

If I wanted people to know it'd probably be on my profile.

I think killing off XNA is a bigger issue, but if the indie rules prevent New & Tasty, and other games of similar quality, then yeah, it's a problem.

XNA's simply no longer necessary, the important bits have been merged into DirectX.  It would take work to upgrade it to a current featureset and probably offer nothing useful.

If I wanted people to know it'd probably be on my profile.

Actually it was rhetorical. Nevermind.

XNA was limited, it was better overall for games to switch over to DirectX though it'll make things harder to start the games will end up better.   They're also still going to be cross-platform like with XNA, they'll still run on Windows8, WP and XB1 as long as they're using the WinRT platform.  

Anyways, this whole indie thing has been overblown.  What some seem to want is to get full XBLA level access, support and advertising without any oversight and cost.  That's never going to happen, if you want to be a pure indie then you'll have to deal with doing it just like everyone else, on your own.   If you want the extra stuff then you follow the rules, but then you're no longer an indie game in my eyes.  

And if you're going to end up with MSs brand and service in your game then they should have every right to say yes or no to you and to your game.  

• Like 3

XNA was limited, it was better overall for games to switch over to DirectX though it'll make things harder to start the games will end up better.   They're also still going to be cross-platform like with XNA, they'll still run on Windows8, WP and XB1 as long as they're using the WinRT platform.  

Anyways, this whole indie thing has been overblown.  What some seem to want is to get full XBLA level access, support and advertising without any oversight and cost.  That's never going to happen, if you want to be a pure indie then you'll have to deal with doing it just like everyone else, on your own.   If you want the extra stuff then you follow the rules, but then you're no longer an indie game in my eyes.  

And if you're going to end up with MSs brand and service in your game then they should have every right to say yes or no to you and to your game.  

A thousand times this.

That's what indies want............... they don't want special privileges they just want the ability to post their game on the store without having to go through a publisher, signing contracts or signing a large part of their profit away. Microsoft still gets to say whether the quality of the game is enough to get listed on the store and they still get their cut regardless.

That's what indies want............... they don't want special privileges they just want the ability to post their game on the store without having to go through a publisher, signing contracts or signing a large part of their profit away. Microsoft still gets to say whether the quality of the game is enough to get listed on the store and they still get their cut regardless.

Not on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.  Developers can publish whatever they want to the Windows store.  They can choose to go through MS and get the XBL branding and achievements and whatnot if they want but they don't have to, and they'll likely have something similar on Xbox One.

I tell you though I don't give many games that don't have the XBL branding a second look when I'm browsing the store.

Not on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.  Developers can publish whatever they want to the Windows store.  They can choose to go through MS and get the XBL branding and achievements and whatnot if they want but they don't have to, and they'll likely have something similar on Xbox One.

I tell you though I don't give many games that don't have the XBL branding a second look when I'm browsing the store.

Sony doesn't force indies to do that and they can use PSN services such as trophies, etc.. why does an indie dev have to be published by Microsoft just to use XBL services?

HAH! 

Have you not paid attention to the "indie" whining about not getting prominent enough shown on XBLIG and similar places ? granted the whiners are usually not truly indie anyway. 

He's right though. Can't imagine anyone rushing out to get a console just to play Fez or Braid for example

I bought my xbox instead of a PS3 because of Small Soldiers. I know it's not an indie game, but non-AAA titles do have sway.

Sony doesn't force indies to do that and they can use PSN services such as trophies, etc.. why does an indie dev have to be published by Microsoft just to use XBL services?

Letting every indie POS on the planet use XBL achievements.. yeah great idea. here's 25 free achievements for starting my game :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Indies are allowed to turn PSN into a junkyard and Microsoft should just follow suit... Really?!...

Microsft had to learn this part this hard way as well. I'm not saying that Indies shouldn't have a right to try and get on the market (not knocking their hustle one bit)...

But....but, there is no way I'm letting your half hearted game, where save glitches, horrid gameplay, game on my market...

Guess who will get judged when those games suck? Microsoft does.

Guess who gets judged when 3rd party software sucks on Windows? Microsoft does.

At this point I think all Audio and TheLegend do is make posts on how XB1 is not PS4 or how Microsoft is not Sony. Seriously, what's the point of this? Audio is so concerned about Xbox that he made this same exact post on two different forums.

Then don't cry about XBLA titles, Arcade titles DO get special privileges, that's my main point.  And this is why I've said a few times so far that you shouldn't mix Arcade titles and indie titles together in one batch when you want to argue for self publishing.  

• Like 2