How can people wear flip flops for hours without chafing their feet?

The trick to flip flops is finding the right pair for you. I can only wear leather/pleather flip flops. Plastic ones mess up my feet. Try different ones and see what actually works.

They're not tight at all. They just rub against the feet when walking for a while.

It's amazing though. You see so many girls out there with such soft, delicate looking feet and they're walking for hours in some of the cheapest flip flops out there and their feet are in perfect shape. It's amazing how women's feet can look so soft and delicate on the outside, but they're really stronger than they look, lol. :D

We're magical! :D

Ah but seriously, it just comes down to being used to them :) And well, I suppose everyone's different, some people may not ever be able to walk around an entire day in them, who knows.

I just wear shoes

I don't know. Here in NYC during the summer, 90% of people are in flip flops or sandals. I'm starting to feel silly wearing shoes now, which is why I'm trying to get into the flip flops trend. I want to fit in society because it feels great to fit in. :)

yeah I never got the whole flip flop thing,so I just stick to shoes. they're comfortable and works for me. I really don't care whats currently trendy,i wear what I feel like.

I don't know. Here in NYC during the summer, 90% of people are in flip flops or sandals. I'm starting to feel silly wearing shoes now, which is why I'm trying to get into the flip flops trend. I want to fit in society because it feels great to fit in. :)

That's the wrong way to look at it.

Be yourself, not one of the sheep.

Wear what is comfortable for you, not what everyone else is wearing.

I've been a long time flip flop wearer. But I agree with the OP

The first pair you buy will chafe your feet, for me it was on the outside just above my big toe.

Bite through it DaDude, once the blister is gone you will love your flip flops.

I wear Havaiiana's all day, every day, easy to put on, easy to take off.

Good luck OP

Eventually, you'll get used to them. I haven't worn flip-flops in years and when I recently wore one, it hurt the sides of my first and second toes. After a day of wearing them, the pain went away. And I can't stop wearing them now. They're so easy to put on and take off. The only reason I wouldn't wear them in the summer is if I had to run or walk a long distance.

Ok, just came back from Sears and bought these VERY soft flip flops:

http://www.sears.com/trader-bay-men-s-canvas-flip-flops/p-041VA55390312P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Now, if these cause problems, then it's safe to say that flip flops are not for me. Let's hope for the best. Unfortunately, I can't walk outside with these yet as I still have these blisters from last weekend from the other pair of flip flops. It will take until Friday the earliest to fully heal, possibly a little longer. Those other flip flops sure did a number on my feet.

yeah I never got the whole flip flop thing,so I just stick to shoes. they're comfortable and works for me. I really don't care whats currently trendy,i wear what I feel like.

Well, to be honest, I've always wanted to wear them, but was always self conscious all my life. But I'm trying to force myself to do things out of my comfort zone because all my life, I've been always hiding under my shell and that has made me socially anxious person. I'm trying to do things I've never done before so I start being a more confident person. I tell ya, it's working. I feel myself changing dramatically, but of course, it came with a consequence.... blisters..lol!

Overall, if my feet would only accept this type of footwear, I can see what all the fuss is about. When I walk outside in them, I don't feel as boiling hot as I do when I wear sneakers. It feels more refreshing. So, sneakers may be more comfortable walking-wise, but temperature-wise, flip flops are the more comfortable footwear.

• Like 2

Sandals are definitely more comfortable, at least for men they are. I can't speak for women's sandals. But even with my blistered feet, my sandals still are very comfy. They grip very well on the feet, so no friction there, which is why I have no issues wearing them. But the feet are more exposed and breathable in flip flops, which is why I want to wear those too.

Well, to be honest, I've always wanted to wear them, but was always self conscious all my life. But I'm trying to force myself to do things out of my comfort zone because all my life, I've been always hiding under my shell and that has made me socially anxious person. I'm trying to do things I've never done before so I start being a more confident person. I tell ya, it's working. I feel myself changing dramatically, but of course, it came with a consequence.... blisters..lol!

Overall, if my feet would only accept this type of footwear, I can see what all the fuss is about. When I walk outside in them, I don't feel as boiling hot as I do when I wear sneakers. It feels more refreshing. So, sneakers may be more comfortable walking-wise, but temperature-wise, flip flops are the more comfortable footwear.

thats good. do whatever you like,who cares what someone else thinks.

Sandals are definitely more comfortable, at least for men they are. I can't speak for women's sandals. But even with my blistered feet, my sandals still are very comfy. They grip very well on the feet, so no friction there, which is why I have no issues wearing them. But the feet are more exposed and breathable in flip flops, which is why I want to wear those too.

Like I said in previous post... wear them a little bit a time for now .. which give your feet time to adjust so you will be more comfortable at later time when you walk with them longer than before.

If it hurts, then wear them around in your house that way you won't have any pain or cuts... and wear shoes when you go out or go to work.

If you are brave enough, wear flip flop around the block a little bit a time, then next week, walk bit longer around the block, then the week after, walk some more longer.. go on.

After awhile, no more pains, then you are free to walk with flip-flops as long as you like no matter how long. 

Just like you ride a bicycle around the block everyday which makes you much stronger and ride comfortably.. then maybe a year later, you can ride 10 miles or longer such as from your home to the next state ... for example from CA to AZ... 

You can't just get on the bike and go for many miles for the first time that you have ridden on a bike before. Always start short trips then go longer trips. 

Give your feet some time to adjust so you can walk with flip-flops no matter how long.

• Like 2

Thanks, Shozilla! That sounds like good advice. I think the problem was I wore them right away and walked to the store in them rather than found it gradually as you said.

These blister are taking a very long time to heal. Fortunately, the wounds are completely closed, but there are still dark red marks there that are taking a while to fade. And the area is still sensitive there to since it's still in the process of growing new skin. I have to say, those flip flops I bought from Sports Authority site did a number on my feet.

Because of this. I need to be careful with what kind a flip flops I wear from now on. All these cheap flip flops I bought will have to be used for around the house or short distance walks. I did a lot of research and the Reef flip flops have excellent reviews. I tried a pair at DSW and it was amazing how comfy they were. Even though the strap were fitted, I felt little to no rubbing. And the strap material was very comfy too. Of course, walking around the store and walking long distance outside are two different experiences, but these flip flops are rated very high by a lot of people, so i willing to give them a shot. I ordered them at Amazon now since they were $15 cheaper. By the time they arrive, hopefully my blisters will have completely healed. I know I have a few cheap pairs at home, but after this terrible blister experience, I think I need to try something of higher quality for money.

I have some super comfy Reef flip-flops, and some almost as comfy Quiksilver ones. You just have to buy a decent name with a nice wide strap and you should be set. Get a material strap too, rather than rubber/plastic.

I have some super comfy Reef flip-flops, and some almost as comfy Quiksilver ones. You just have to buy a decent name with a nice wide strap and you should be set. Get a material strap too, rather than rubber/plastic.

Yeah, I just ordered the Reef Men's Fanning Sandals. The reviews are excellent and many people swear by its comfort. I hope they're right since they cost me $35 at Amazon. They would've been $50 if I bought them at the store. Like I said, I tried them on at the DSW store and they were very comfy, but the only true way for me to tell is to walk in them for a couple of hours outside. I'm sure by the time this order arrives (which will probably be by this weekend or early next week), my blisters would be healed by then.

Ok, just came back from Sears and bought these VERY soft flip flops:

http://www.sears.com/trader-bay-men-s-canvas-flip-flops/p-041VA55390312P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Now, if these cause problems, then it's safe to say that flip flops are not for me. Let's hope for the best. Unfortunately, I can't walk outside with these yet as I still have these blisters from last weekend from the other pair of flip flops. It will take until Friday the earliest to fully heal, possibly a little longer. Those other flip flops sure did a number on my feet.

You need to wear them for them to mold into your foot.  Don't wear them once and then buy a new pair, you're going to have the same problem.  You need to put up with it for a week or so, and then it will be fine.

You need to wear them for them to mold into your foot.  Don't wear them once and then buy a new pair, you're going to have the same problem.  You need to put up with it for a week or so, and then it will be fine.

So, you're saying I should just get used to the current ones I have rather than buy the Reef ones?

The Trader Bay ones I got from Sears aren't too bad, but the ones I got from Sports Authority are the ones that blistered by feet real good. Those, I can never wear again. But the Sears ones should be ok, but I wanted to try the Reef ones since they have better arch support and better reviews.

it depends on your feet tio be honest. I can buy a pair and I feel great in them, and another pair I have gives me blisters where the straps are. You need to test them out for a bit see if its rubbing against uour skin when walking.

All flip flops are going to rub against the skin to some degree. So, the trick is to find something that won't irritate my feet when it rubs. Obviously, plastic, rubber or ones with sharp seams are a big no-no for my feet. The Reefs seem to have a more cushiony type strap, so it doesn't look like it would irritate my feet. When I get them in the mail, I'll do a test run in the house for a couple of hours before using them outside.