Super-fast remote LAN webcam viewing

I run several webcams around the house for security, and stream them to my desktop PC.  (not really that paranoid, but it is kinda cool) One is connected to a netbook running Lubuntu, and for a while I was streaming the webcam using VLC as an mjpeg, but it was about 9fps and 3 seconds behind.  Just thought I'd share this tidbit: I discovered a trick to have near-0 latency and a very high framerate - just using VLC to view the webcam fullscreen, and then using TightVNC to view it on my desktop PC (using Tight encoding, the others are slower).  I haven't yet found a way to enable recording it remotely yet though, but I'm sure there's a way!

edit - I just discovered a slight problem; the extra speed comes at a cost.  VLC uses 3-4% of my cpu per window, but TightVNC uses 11-12%, 17% if I zoom in or out.   :(  CPU fan running just a little faster than usual.

You should look into http://www.ispyconnect.com/

iSpy turns your PC into a full security and surveillance system

iSpy uses your cameras, webcams, IP cams and microphones to detect and record movement or sound. Captured media is compressed to flash video or mp4 and streamed securely over the web and local network. iSpy can run on multiple computers simultaneously and has full Email, SMS and MMS alerting functions and remote viewing.

Streaming to your PC yeah is kind of cool - but I think you are not anywhere close to what you could be doing with them.. See the above software, its open source and FREE!

You should look into http://www.ispyconnect.com/

iSpy turns your PC into a full security and surveillance system

iSpy uses your cameras, webcams, IP cams and microphones to detect and record movement or sound. Captured media is compressed to flash video or mp4 and streamed securely over the web and local network. iSpy can run on multiple computers simultaneously and has full Email, SMS and MMS alerting functions and remote viewing.

Streaming to your PC yeah is kind of cool - but I think you are not anywhere close to what you could be doing with them.. See the above software, its open source and FREE!

Hey thanks, I'd never heard of that program, seems very full-featured!  I was actually using YawCAM for this exact purpose on my windows laptop; it too has mjpeg streaming (including to my Android), motion detection, and email notification, and while faster than VLC, it just isn't as fast as TightVNC.  TightVNC streams at the exact same framerate that the computer itself gets from the webcam, and has a latency so low that I can't measure it.  YawCAM streams at about 15fps with a 1-2 second delay, and I can't imagine any other mjpeg streaming software performing better on the same laptop.

Seems YawCAM is written java - while that is great for running on anything.. Its not going to be very speedy ;)