It's a Boy, for Prince William & Duchhess Kate

Wow, I could probably write a five-thousand word essay on the tons of of crap that's been thrown around in this thread but I won't, as this is neither the time nor the audience.

I do find it extremely distasteful that some of the views being aired are being aired at this point in time, in this particular thread. I find it sad that some people no longer recognise virtues like "common courtesy." The occasion of any child's birth is, in my view, not the correct time to argue the relative merits of their existence and anybody who disagrees may do well to simply learn some manners.

The common wealth doesn't span a large majority of the world, that is a made up fallacy to hype the importance of their... well non importance. And you ask any Aussi or Canadian what they really think of the Common Wealth, well let's just say some of those words can't be mentioned on this forum :D

You seem to be under some mistaken assumption that Canadians are embarrassed or have a dislike for the Royals. While keeping in mind that everyone has their own personal opinions and views, Canada and Canadians are largely pleased with their heritage and relationship to the British and the Royal family. With the likely exception of Quebec, they don't like anyone.

I do find it extremely distasteful that some of the views being aired are being aired at this point in time, in this particular thread. I find it sad that some people no longer recognise virtues like "common courtesy." The occasion of any child's birth is, in my view, not the correct time to argue the relative merits of their existence and anybody who disagrees may do well to simply learn some manners.

Damn.

Congratulations on your child Royal People.

You seem to be under some mistaken assumption that Canadians are embarrassed or have a dislike for the Royals. While keeping in mind that everyone has their own personal opinions and views, Canada and Canadians are largely pleased with their heritage and relationship to the British and the Royal family. With the likely exception of Quebec, they don't like anyone.

I would say yes that is true, but my so called assumption isn't that untrue as you claim. I've met lots of Aussies/canadian (French mostly / British) , like lots! They all have a similar gist of how the commentary goes, it doesn't end well. For the Canadians, sure some of them might like the Royals, I don't think most do. It's a concept of Colonial independence and fairly no one should be under the yoke of some legacy concept of authority that stretches to the colonial era. As for French Canadians, I have family members over there and most of them are pretty chilled. But anyway, let's not talk about this anymore. Once again Happy Bday to the little man.

I would say yes that is true, but my so called assumption isn't that untrue as you claim. I've met lots of Aussies/canadian (French mostly / British) , like lots! They all have a similar gist of how the commentary goes, it doesn't end well. For the Canadians, sure some of them might like the Royals, I don't think most do. It's a concept of Colonial independence and fairly no one should be under the yoke of some legacy concept of authority that stretches to the colonial era. As for French Canadians, I have family members over there and most of them are pretty chilled. 

As a Canadian / Australian I can confirm this. Although Canadians are, in fact, more tolerable. Aussie's just don't like anything that isn't Aussie. lol.

For the Canadians, sure some of them might like the Royals, I don't think most do. It's a concept of Colonial independence and fairly no one should be under the yoke of some legacy concept of authority that stretches to the colonial era.

Countries are free to leave the commonwealth should they choose to. In fact Jamaica recently chose to replace the Queen as the head of state with a president. To suggest that countries are "under the yoke" of colonialism is simply not accurate. The reality is that the British monarchy has a historical and cultural relevance in many commonwealth countries and while there are many who would prefer to move towards republicanism?as is the case in the UK too?that is by no means the majority position, nor is it considered a priority. To move away from the commonwealth means providing an alternative, which is a major issue of contention - just because you dislike something doesn't mean you prefer the alternative.

Wow, I could probably write a five-thousand word essay on the tons of of crap that's been thrown around in this thread but I won't, as this is neither the time nor the audience.

I'd love to read it, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Really, give life to lunatics, rapists and murderers so they can carry on draining resources, but 'I wonder how much longer we will pay for these people to live' for the Royal Family?

women have been having kids for years yet, we see people fawn over the royal families off spring? I don't get it really...

The common wealth doesn't span a large majority of the world, that is a made up fallacy to hype the importance of their... well non importance. And you ask any Aussi or Canadian what they really think of the Common Wealth, well let's just say some of those words can't be mentioned on this forum

1) Yes it does, you can basically map around the world the Commonwealth - it goes pretty much all the way around it, Canada, England, India, Nigeria, South Africa, Australia, any vertical slice of the map, you can get a strip of Commonwealth.  Hence, it spans it.  Never said it covered a majority.

2) No need to ask Australians nor Canadians their opinion.  That was never what was being argued here.  You may dislike it - tough, you're part of it anyway.

3) Countries that no longer want to be part of it are free to leave - such as Jamaica as has been said above.  Oh look, you're still here?

women have been having kids for years yet, we see people fawn over the royal families off spring? I don't get it really...

Do you genuinely "not get it" or are you trying to make a statement?  I only ask because the culture of celebrity and raising people to newsworthy icons has also been happening for years - it's nothing new.

The only thing this birth has missed is a sighting of the Virgin Mary in the fogged up hospital room window :)

I bet Kim and Kanye feel pretty second rate today. If they could name the new prince they would probably choose "The Artist Formerly Known As", or maybe Easton West.

I wonder how much longer we will pay for these people to live, the Royal Family are just rich useless retards. Could you imagine if we stopped paying them and used the money to, well, I don't know, help people who actually require money? I don't care about this flipping baby, I don't like a Baby that was just born and likely has gifts more expensive than my car. This baby can go F itself.

If we stopped paying for the Royal Family, and abolished them. Our taxes would instantly go up by about ?2.66 per person. Seeing as ALL the profits from the Royals Land goes directly to the Government, which is about ?200 Million a Year. The Royal Family are given a salary to live off for the year of about ?40 Million.

Tourism would plummet. Apart from gifts which you voluntarily impart, do the Royals COST you anything? They are paid for by the British Government.

I couldn't care less for the monarchy.  So what she had a baby, its nothing special.   Sadly all we're gonna hear/see is royal baby this, royal baby that, kate ... etc.

Why is it sad?  It's probably the future monarch, and it's quite obvious that his life will be documented.

It's sad that you find this saddening.  Feel free to ignore any news on the matter.  But, seeing as you posted, you obviously do care!

The common wealth doesn't span a large majority of the world, that is a made up fallacy to hype the importance of their... well non importance. 

And you ask any Aussi or Canadian what they really think of the Common Wealth, well let's just say some of those words can't be mentioned on this forum   :D

What you mean by this - because it really doesn't make much sense. I think you don't even know what it is that you're busy trying to be critical of - this "Common Wealth"  thing that you talk about. What are you actually talking about?

(FYI - if we're talking about the Commonwealth of Nations - it has a population of 2.25 billion so it does encompass a large proportion of the world's population. And geographically it goes completely around the world , and takes up about 20% of the total land area so by a few measures it does "span the world"...)

• Like 1

Why is it sad?  It's probably the future monarch, and it's quite obvious that his life will be documented.

It's sad that you find this saddening.  Feel free to ignore any news on the matter.  But, seeing as you posted, you obviously do care!

I don't care for the Monarchy. I posted because I wanted to make my opinion on the matter clear.  Say if I had a Wife who had a baby, would you like it if I went around all the press, the websites and social media telling everyone I had a baby, and kept doing that for a few weeks.   I think you'd get annoyed, and that's what I'm trying to get at, we don't need to hear every five mins that she had a baby.

I don't care for the Monarchy. I posted because I wanted to make my opinion on the matter clear.  Say if I had a Wife who had a baby, would you like it if I went around all the press, the websites and social media telling everyone I had a baby, and kept doing that for a few weeks.   I think you'd get annoyed, and that's what I'm trying to get at, we don't need to hear every five mins that she had a baby.

your right, i cant turn the tv on without prince william telling me about his son... oh wait a minute

it'll all be over in a few weeks, and then the football will be back on!

• Like 2

1) Yes it does, you can basically map around the world the Commonwealth - it goes pretty much all the way around it, Canada, England, India, Nigeria, South Africa, Australia, any vertical slice of the map, you can get a strip of Commonwealth.  Hence, it spans it.  Never said it covered a majority.

2) No need to ask Australians nor Canadians their opinion.  That was never what was being argued here.  You may dislike it - tough, you're part of it anyway.

3) Countries that no longer want to be part of it are free to leave - such as Jamaica as has been said above.  Oh look, you're still here?

Do you genuinely "not get it" or are you trying to make a statement?  I only ask because the culture of celebrity and raising people to newsworthy icons has also been happening for years - it's nothing new.

jeez you need to relax man. Ok let's for the sake of agreeing say:

1. You are both slightly right and wrong 

2. This rule applies to me aswell

3. We are descendants from Different cultural backgrounds - some find an old white lady running the common wealth and paparazzi gospel of royal children 'fun' and 'relevant', whilst some of us simply are like 'meh, that's not an event worth going nuts over' /

4. This is the last time I will post offtopic.

"It's a "who gives a ######?" from the majority of society"

The point is you can't ignore it. I woke up this morning and turned on the news and it was on every channel, non-stop, before I left the house I couldn't really get any other news. All the news sites I went onto have it all over the front page.

It's excessive, and it reeks of a desperate media latching onto ###### human interest stories instead of reporting actual news.

Say if I had a Wife who had a baby, would you like it if I went around all the press, the websites and social media telling everyone I had a baby, and kept doing that for a few weeks.   I think you'd get annoyed, and that's what I'm trying to get at, we don't need to hear every five mins that she had a baby.

The Royal office have put out 2 press releases and lined up photo ops and interviews, as is their job.  99% of what you are reading is not because "they have gone around all the press, the websites and social media telling everyone" - it's the press filling inches that WILL sell to the majority.  If you don't like it, complain about the press.

Moreover, your sphere of influence is not comparable to the future monarch's.  It's kind of arrogant for you to suggest your situations were similar.

However, if you had a baby, and posted a thread on Neowin, how would you feel if there were keyboard warriors posting "I don't care, it's nothing special"?

I understand your appreciation for the Royals but he is entitled to his own opinion.

The Royal office have put out 2 press releases and lined up photo ops and interviews, as is their job.  99% of what you are reading is not because "they have gone around all the press, the websites and social media telling everyone" - it's the press filling inches that WILL sell to the majority.  If you don't like it, complain about the press.

Moreover, your sphere of influence is not comparable to the future monarch's.  It's kind of arrogant for you to suggest your situations were similar.

However, if you had a baby, and posted a thread on Neowin, how would you feel if there were keyboard warriors posting "I don't care, it's nothing special"?

Honestly I wouldn't mind if people said they didn't care I had a baby.  Because I don't expect them too :)

your right, i cant turn the tv on without prince william telling me about his son... oh wait a minute

it'll all be over in a few weeks, and then the football will be back on!

Sod the TV :) I get all my news from Neowin.

I understand your appreciation for the Royals but he is entitled to his own opinion.

He's also entitled to his opinion too :)