Problems setting up and connecting to a FTP server

Question

I've just setup my own FTP server but I'm unable to connect to it.

This is what I've done:-

Created an FTP server using BulletProof Server on Port 21 using a PASV range of 30000 - 30100

I've set a rule in the Windows Firewall for port 21 and for the PASV range

I've setup port forwarding on my router - FTP on Port 21 and PASV 30000 - 30100

But for the life of me I'm unable to connect to it.

When I test it using an online FTP tester http://ftptest.net/       I get the following error message:-

Test log

Error: Could not connect to server: No route to host

It's now doing my head in.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 answers to this question

Your ISP might be blocking that port so use like some higher port, 53238 or something random up there.

to remove dns and its ability to resolve your host name to your ip address, try connecting to your ip address first. 

also you shouldn't be connecting outside in on the same network.  You should be somewhere else in the world to connect in for a good test.

to remove dns and its ability to resolve your host name to your ip address, try connecting to your ip address first. 

also you shouldn't be connecting outside in on the same network.  You should be somewhere else in the world to connect in for a good test.

Thanks but I've tried connecting to ip address - no joy

Asked a mate to try and connect - no joy

Any ideas??

from the ftp server, go to canyouseeme.org and have it check your ports to see if they are in fact open.  it could be a firewall issue.

from the ftp server, go to canyouseeme.org and have it check your ports to see if they are in fact open.  it could be a firewall issue.

This is the result:-

Error: I could not see your service on86.20.1.138 on port (21)

Reason: No route to host

As I can see I have a windows firewall rule for port 21

3njm.jpg

Your router/gateway is the first firewall that the Internet connects to before getting to your computer where the software/windows firewall exists. You don't poke a hole in your hardware firewall your software firewall won't get a chance to accept or deny the request.

Make sure your router is configured correctly. Also it can't hurt to do a simple search online with your router name and model and see if other people are experiencing similar issues. Some routers simply don't do NAT (network address translation) well and make it nearly impossible to run an FTP (or other) server behind it. But as @sc302 said, check your router's built-in firewall first...

It looks like its my ISP blocking port 21! I've just changed to 53238 and all is working

Why would they block port 21

Thanks for your help

As mentioned its possible your ISP blocks 21, its also possible your behind a double nat.. Does your router show your IP 86.20.1.138, on its wan??  Or is it private 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x etc.  If so your router is behind a nat itself.  And you could forward traffic all day long on it and not going to work, because the traffic never gets to it to be forwarded.

I can ping 86.20.1.138, but I do not show 21 answering.  So either your ISP blocking it, your router not forwarding or double nat, or your software firewall is blocking it, etc.