GNEX Charging In Car

Mine stays cool during battery charging while GPS/GPS app off... no problem.

While GPS on, it gets dang hot. That's why I got stand-alone GPS device.

No. the phone that gets hot if I use GPS

of course the phone gets hot when you use it. the screen heats the phone, the battery heats the phone when it's discharging and the CPU heats the phone...it's quite normal. what does that have to do with anything. 

It was $5 when I got it and it had good reviews.

Its obvious you just wanted to post a useless reply and didnt read anything else posted here.  The adapter has plenty of amps to charge the phone.

Next time, refrain from replying if that is all the "help" you are going to  give.

well,excuse me for not reading your mind and knowing you paid $5 for it. i figured,if they are giving them away practically for free,then something isnt right.

and just because the adapter says something,doesnt mean its true,especially in such a trusted name like griffin *cough*. but lighten up pal,dont get worked up over a harmless post.

some of these cheap car chargers use a crappy linear voltage regulator,which is so inefficient, the amperage rating is laughable. its nothing more than a variable voltage divider network. alot of times, the amount of energy it wastes is more than its actually outputting,and that could be why you're not getting the output you were expecting.

also,certain phones will accept more current for charging if they detect you connected one of their official chargers. first they will only allow a pre determined default amount of current, then if they detect special voltages on the D+/D- pins of the USB cable, this notifies the phone that yup,we screwed another one of these chumps and got them to buy one of our overpriced accessories,so lets give him more juice.

if you dont understand voltage,and current, you can think of voltage like the pressure in a water hose. and you can think of the current as the amount of water.

there,happy?

of course the phone gets hot when you use it. the screen heats the phone, the battery heats the phone when it's discharging and the CPU heats the phone...it's quite normal. what does that have to do with anything. 

You blind?

I said the phone is cool WHILE it is being charged that time I am not using GPS nagivation on my phone.

Instead, I bought a stand-alone GPS that way, I wouldn't worry about my phone gets overheat or fire damaged.

So, I am not using GPS app on my phone anymore because of the overheat.

You blind?

I said the phone is cool WHILE it is being charged that time I am not using GPS nagivation on my phone.

Instead, I bought a stand-alone GPS that way, I wouldn't worry about my phone gets overheat or fire damaged.

So, I am not using GPS app on my phone anymore because of the overheat.

lol,thats excessive. your phone is certainly not "overheating" and will not go up in flames,thats perfectly normal behavior,as uncomfortable as it may make you feel. Hawkman is right. the sensors would shut the phone down before it could do that if there was overheating. For this gradual heat to destroy your phone,3 temperature sensors at the very least would have to fail. the cpu heat sensor/s, the board heat sensor/s,and finally the battery heat sensor/s. note that we're not talking about defective components like defective batteries and such.

lol,thats excessive. your phone is certainly not "overheating" and will not go up in flames,thats perfectly normal behavior,as uncomfortable as it may make you feel. Hawkman is right. the sensors would shut the phone down before it could do that if there was overheating. For this gradual heat to destroy your phone,3 temperature sensors at the very least would have to fail. the cpu heat sensor/s, the board heat sensor/s,and finally the battery heat sensor/s. note that we're not talking about defective components like defective batteries and such.

+1yeah I was on around 12pm at a place that was 39-40C, the phone shut itself down, went back into AC'd room and kept phone in pocket outside.

However, rapidly charging while rapidly discharging and causing that heat build up IS bad for the battery and can help reduce it's life. But yeah, you're phone isn't going to burst into flames or damage the hardware aside from the battery because it would shut off before that happened.

However, rapidly charging while rapidly discharging and causing that heat build up IS bad for the battery and can help reduce it's life. But yeah, you're phone isn't going to burst into flames or damage the hardware aside from the battery because it would shut off before that happened.

:huh:  shouldn't the charger keep up with the discharging and not allow discharge? (which would obviously cause a slower charge?=)

:huh:  shouldn't the charger keep up with the discharging and not allow discharge? (which would obviously cause a slower charge?=)

Well, it may or may not depending on the power going in, as this thread is about,but regardless, the act of filling the battery while also using the battery, especially when you're charging at 1A+ and discharging rapidly (like pouring water in a bucket with a hole draining as fast or almost as fast as you fill) as would be the case when you have GPS and screen running full time like you usually would with GPS will cause fairly significant heat build up like mentioned. It's not going to cause you battery to just die overnight, but frequent use like that can definitely shorten your battery's life span. Batteries don't like heat.

Batteries also get hotter while charging as they get closer to capacity. So the worst thing you could do would be to plug in a fully charged phone during heavy use and try to keep it at full charge. If you do want to use your phone heavily and it's near capacity already, don't plug it in until it's below 50% battery or so.

Batteries also get hotter as they get closer to capacity. So the worst thing you could do would be to plug in a fully charged phone during heavy use and try to keep it at full charge. If you do want to use your phone heavily and it's near capacity already, don't plug it in until it's below 50% battery or so.

Completely agree.

Laugh all you want... but you were not there to feel my phone that was very hot like stove...

my friends were there... 

but it's over... it is not heating anymore.. it's cool now..

GPS has always been an issue when being used in cars due to the power drain and the speed the car can recharge at.  Have to say that I've purchased the HTC One and the official car dock.  I did a 3 hour drive the other day, GPS on with bluetooth for streaming my music and arrived at my desitnation with 100% battery, was very impressed.  The thing was hot like a poker though :laugh: