Do you format and install Windows every x time?

How often do you reinstall Windows?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you reinstall Windows?

• Every 1 or 5 months
    • Every 6 Months
    • Every 6 months to a year
    • Every Year
    • Every 2 years
    • Every 3 years
    • Every 4 years
    • Every 5+ years
    • When I get a new version of Windows
  2. 2. What is the reason for the reinstall

• Windows was slowing down
    • Something broke / Not acting right.
    • No reason, I just like reintsalling Windows
    • OS upgrade
  3. 3. What kind of hard drive do you have

• HDD and I reinstall Frequently
    • SSD and I reinstall Frequently
    • HDD and I don't reinstall Frequently
    • SSD and I don't reinstall Frequently

Only when something has gone drastically wrong or I believe something's been compromised.

I keep all important data seperate from my OS, so wiping and reinstalling is no big deal.  Apps and settings are easy enough to replace, and i like the fresh start every once in a while.  I reformat / reinstall every six months or so, or whenever I want to try out a beta OS or different setup.  I actually think it's somewhat fun.

Running Windows 7 here.

Original Install Date: 3/22/2010, 4:20:16 PM

To find out the date open up a cmd window and type this systeminfo | find /i "install date".

I don't have a format cycle. Regular maintenance and avoiding crappy software is better than having to keep formatting all the time. Prevention is better than cure.

I did reformat recently 7/7/2013 - I doubt I will have to do it again for 12-18 months.

At work it's been years since we've done a reinstall. It's to much of a hassle and too much information is potentially at risk, not to mention the lost down time. It only happens when we really need to. At home, I am constantly switching and swapping things around. You never know what I will have on my old box.

The last time I had a computer slow down over time was because of a faulty hard drive. I find that Windows, and especially Windows 8, doesn't get slower over time like it obviously did back in the Windows XP days.

I find over time every OS slows down, maybe too many programs installed and lots of registry adds (even after delete), sometimes you install something which conflicts with other codecs, dlls or processes (replaces a windows file with its own dll or codec, etc so even after uninstall still causes minor issues), I also like to do a full format and defrag after on hard drives every now and then to get them back in shape.

I also like to just re-start off a fresh install every now and then, when I have a few programs on my computer I don't use anymore.

Also I have 3x SSD's and 2 HDD on this system, so the SSD speed doesn't make me want to re-install any less.

• 3 weeks later...

Not done a reinstall since I put Windows 7 64-bit on; since then I've upgraded it to Ultimate and then onto Windows 8 again via upgrade rather than format and re-install.

• 6 months later...

My gaming machine I reinstall every month or two just for the hell of it, mostly when I'm bored.

I find over time every OS slows down, maybe too many programs installed and lots of registry adds (even after delete), sometimes you install something which conflicts with other codecs, dlls or processes (replaces a windows file with its own dll or codec, etc so even after uninstall still causes minor issues), I also like to do a full format and defrag after on hard drives every now and then to get them back in shape.

I also like to just re-start off a fresh install every now and then, when I have a few programs on my computer I don't use anymore.

Also I have 3x SSD's and 2 HDD on this system, so the SSD speed doesn't make me want to re-install any less.

a big registry does not slow down your computer. that's why they did the registry instead of thosuands of individual config files. granted the registry has been abused beyond the intention, but a full registry is not what would slow anythign down anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...

What? This is still a thing??You window users got to get with the program. Install once, setup once, backup then restore. I restore windows. I don't keep wasting time reinstalling it hunting down install files/discs and drivers anymore. Windows 8 don't reinstall well either. they are 'refreshes', it restores windows 8 to a newly installed state a lot faster than USB/DVD can. Hell it even offers to make a backup partition right on the drive!

I personally use live linux and dd to make a whole drive dump. all SSDs and usb3 it dont take long. Should look into rsync really.

The last time I had a computer slow down over time was because of a faulty hard drive. I find that Windows, and especially Windows 8, doesn't get slower over time like it obviously did back in the Windows XP days.

I never had to reinstall Windows XP over the entire time I had it and it never slowed down either. :)

Ever since Windows 2000, there shouldn't be any reason to reinstall unless the hard drive fails. At least there never has bee a reason for me. I've never had a hard drive fail me yet either and all my machines are technically older than the hills compared to most every one on here.

Never had Vista installed for more than a few days as that was a total POS from day one! :x

FWIW,

I don't do backups either as I don't save squat on the computer, so I'm not afraid to have something happen. It just has never happened! :)

barely reinstall at all.  Only when absolutely necessary.

I haven't reinstalled a machine for a number of years now.

Last year after I moved to SSD.

Before that, was running mechanical Raid-10 (just because) and that flew for a good 3 years without re-install.

Never noticed any slowdown on old system anyway. I'm not too click happy when installing programs so as to plonk randomware on there, and regularly maintain it.