2 WIFIs on which the signal is so strong that it overwhelms mine

I rent out a flat and the tenant has been in the house for  more then six years the neighbor has sent me a E-mail stating that my tenants two WiFis are overwhelming hers and would like me to speak to my tenant and have him turn down his WiFis .

Now I look at this as not my responsibility nor my place as I know there may be as many as a few dozen places to look besides my tenants WiFis that may be cosing her WiFi problem my question  is what can I tell her without the need explain the dozens of other possibilities that may be a better place to look besides her neighbors WiFi.

change the wifi channel on either yours or hers

problem should  be solved

i live in a 56 unit building and lots of wifi  it took a while to get nice speeds but i resolved it by finding a less crowded Channel edit not the default channel as most routers use

Change the channel is what she would need to do. It would be like changing the channel on a bust two way radio frequency. She can do that by logging into the router she has, and locating the wireless settings options.

Have her run http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

inSSIDer for Home gives you visibility into your Wi-Fi environment. This Wi-Fi network discovery tool displays every wireless hotspot?s MAC address, encryption, signal strength and channel, and is the standard troubleshooting tool for millions of Wi-Fi users throughout the world.

You can see exactly what is going on then - be it she just needs to move channel, and will identify the SSIDs of who might be stepping on her or not, etc.

Or have your tenant run it - so you can see what is going on.. It might not be your place to tell your renter to turn down their wifi. But if you could facilitate problem resolution so everyone is happy, then everyone wins.

But its hard to do with out some actual info - so the above tool should give you that.

• Like 1

I cannot say i have ever lived in a place that i could see more than 1 or 2 other wifi networks however, i would do the same as listed above, check out what the channels of the other networks are and just pick a less crowded channel and it should solve the problem. Obviously you cannot force them to do this but you can make the suggestion.

She should have gone to your tenant directly rather than to you. Seems a bit cowardly. Unless your tennants are doing something non standard what right does she think she has to demand they stop using those channels or adjust signal strength?

WiFi doesn't tend to just "overwhelm" another WiFi, if the channel's crowded everyone suffers. If your neighbour doesn't even know how to configure a good WiFi signal I highly doubt that she can trace this supposed interference to a specific device (i.e. your tenant's router). She's probably just seeing a weak WiFi signal for her own network, due to misconfiguration or underestimation of range, and sees a strong signal from your tenant, and just assumes that it's "overwhelming" hers. I have 3 SSIDs running concurrently from 3 actual sets of antennas with dd-wrt on 2 routers, all running at higher than stock power, and get great signal. She's very likely doing something wrong on her end.

Yeah. if you have an Android phone, get WiFi analyzer and use it around the houses/apartments to check what networks are there and their actual signal strengths.

it's likely she just as a crap WiFi router with bad signal while you tennants has high power routers and she simply don't know what she's talking about.