Anyone grab the 1020 today?

It's obviously not as good as a DSLR camera but it's as good, if not better, than most point-and-shoot cameras available now. With that said, it's quite an impressive feat considering the fact that it's just a smartphone camera. This shot approaches (low-end) DSLR quality though. I think you can agree with me on that.

I'd have to disagree with that.  A quality point-and-shoot, such as the nicer Canon models, will do much much better with managing the light.

I'm with AJerman in that those pictures are quite disappointing.  When the sky is bright, the pictures are horribly washed out and a ton of detail is lost in the bright areas.

I have a Canon point-and-shoot and it produces really nice detail in any lighting.  The 1020 only seems to do well when it's not super bright and not super dark.  The 1020 is a big step up, but phone camers have a very long way to go before it will reach the quality of even a PnS.

• Like 1

I know what you mean but I plan to stick to my 920 for a little while longer.   Hopefully the 1020's successor will include a smaller camera that doesn't protrude plus whatever other goodies Nokia add to their next generation Lumias.  The 920's camera is still in the top 3 (along with the 1020 and the 925) so there's no hurry to upgrade.

I really want a 1020, but am mid-contract on L920, so I'm considering selling my 920 & getting a used 925 as a go-between till GDR3 & improved specs that will allow - 925 for the lower weight, AMOLED screen, improved battery life & better lens.  Plus GDR2 out the box....Haven't decided yet tho.

It's obviously not as good as a DSLR camera but it's as good, if not better, than most point-and-shoot cameras available now. With that said, it's quite an impressive feat considering the fact that it's just a smartphone camera. This shot approaches (low-end) DSLR quality though. I think you can agree with me on that.

Point and shoot at it's best maybe... Busy bokeh, blown highlights, oversaturated. But yeah, a useable shot.

The 1020 is a big step up, but phone camers have a very long way to go before it will reach the quality of even a PnS.

I think we have to look at smartphones as the "what if" scenario. eg: "I forgot my PnS or dSLR, i'll use my phone to somehow capture the moment".

I'd say that if you can wait for newer GDR3 based devices that will probably come by the holidays then you should.  The 1020 is a good device but I expect to see a GDR3 based version early next year I bet, probably a model for Verizon like the 928 but it could come with GDR3, or rather it should.  That means you not only get the great camera but updated hardware overall. 

I'd say that if you can wait for newer GDR3 based devices that will probably come by the holidays then you should.  The 1020 is a good device but I expect to see a GDR3 based version early next year I bet, probably a model for Verizon like the 928 but it could come with GDR3, or rather it should.  That means you not only get the great camera but updated hardware overall. 

With that logic you might as well wait until the Lumia 4050 comes out. 

Those pictures look great... The 1020 needs to come to Canada already!

dont expect it from samsung lover and olympic teammate BELL. barf.

canada needs to close the loopholes,my ass. LOL

With that logic you might as well wait until the Lumia 4050 comes out. 

Except we don't know anything about 2014 devices when we do know about GDR3 devices coming for this holiday.  So no, it's not the same at all.   You either get something now or wait for November and get one of the first GDR3 phones with quad core and 1080p etc.