Which SSD?

Hi all,

Trying to decide right now which SSD to buy, I want a 256GB variant and yeah..

As suggested by Astra I like these four, but only two are practical as one is $352.

OCZ Technology 256GB Vector @$259.99

OCZ Technology 256GB Vertex 4 @$352.86

OCZ Technology 256G Vertex 450 @246.84

Samsung Electronics 840 Pro @$224.99

I am open to other suggestions, but yeah those seem like good ones and I cant decide.. 

TIA

Reliability is fine with OCZ.  They have a few hiccups like everybody else, but it's always solved with firmware updates.  I've owned nothing but OCZ since SSDs came onto the market and have never seen a failure.

Since the 840 Pro is the cheapest, it would probably be your best choice.

The Vector and 840 Pro are pretty much the same in performance, so the deciding factor, in my opinion, would be price.

I just got the 840 pro 128gig -- and freaking thing screams!!!  the 256 model is faster even..  I would go with the 840 pro, that whole line is getting nothing but great reviews!!

and its the cheapest as well - so there you go win win

Just ordered the SSD!!!  And the motherboard I ordered a few hours ago..

Paid for one day shipping as well!  Will see them tomorrow :D

Yeah, the Samsung 830/840 Pro are amazing drives. I have a 128GB 830, 128 GB 840 Pro, and a 256 GB 840 Pro. This is my new "go to" drive if I need a new SSD. 

I have the Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB and really loves it. It's also my first SSD drive and (nearly 2 months since bought new PC build) I am still amazed at it's reliability and speed. 5 seconds to boot into windows right from powered-off and I can start firefox while my other PC with "ancient" HDDs takes 10 minutes to boot in. Nah more like 15-20 minutes.

I have a OCZ_Vertex3 and it's running just fine.

The SSD market is changing rapidely though, and it's always good to look around before buying. The new Samsung SSD's get good reviews atm.

In the end it's up to preference and price I guess.

I have the Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB and really loves it. It's also my first SSD drive and (nearly 2 months since bought new PC build) I am still amazed at it's reliability and speed. 5 seconds to boot into windows right from powered-off and I can start firefox while my other PC with "ancient" HDDs takes 10 minutes to boot in. Nah more like 15-20 minutes.

If your PC takes 15 minutes to boot into the desktop, there's something REALLY wrong with the install ;-P

Reliability is fine with OCZ.  They have a few hiccups like everybody else, but it's always solved with firmware updates.  I've owned nothing but OCZ since SSDs came onto the market and have never seen a failure.

Same as I have 2 Agility 3 SSDs, I also own OCZ PSU's and have never had any issues.

You can't change the mind of a cult of people once they start to hate something for no reason ;)

Same as I have 2 Agility 3 SSDs, I also own OCZ PSU's and have never had any issues.

You can't change the mind of a cult of people once they start to hate something for no reason ;)

My experience with OCZ has been less than stellar. One failed SSD (Vertex 1) within 4 months, and Modxstream 700w PSU died in 4 years (decent lifetime) - but it took out my motherboard and CPU :angry: . I also had a few friend's who invested in OCZ drives initially (because they're so cheap) and it died on them too. I'm not too thrilled with OCZ as a whole. There is always a chance an SSD will die, but it was more prominent with OCZ drives (they probably sold more), and their firmware/controllers were shady back in the 2009/2010 days. 

I have an OCZ Vertex 4 its nice and fast and not had any problems so far

I've owned 2 OCZ drives, a 60GB Agility 3 with a SF2281 controller, and now a 128GB Vector with an Indillinx Barefoot 3 controller. My 60GB drive is still at 100% health after 2 years of operation, and I've had no issues with the Vector either. OCZ drives are no longer unreliable, they fixed them a long time ago.

At the very worst of it, OCZ had something like 5% failures back in the Vertex 2 days, but that was due to the shoddy SandForce controller.  Even so, that was compared to the ~3% failures that everybody else had.  There was a study done some time ago that gave all the exact numbers.

But the days of SandForce are mostly gone, so the failure rates for everybody are lower.           

Oh wow this SSD is epic, finally got the new motherboard put in and I have more space for a lot of my big stuff.  I boot pretty much in a blink of an eye and everything is just instant lol.. love it

Can't go wrong with Samsung 840pro. Even Anand Shimpi (from Anandtech) tweeted saying it's his current favorite consumer SSD. Check out the indepth reviews at Anandtech if you haven't yet

I have a OCZ_Vertex3 and it's running just fine.

The SSD market is changing rapidely though, and it's always good to look around before buying. The new Samsung SSD's get good reviews atm.

In the end it's up to preference and price I guess.

If your PC takes 15 minutes to boot into the desktop, there's something REALLY wrong with the install ;-P

There is something wrong but I can't be arsed to fix it. It's a very old PC and I have installed so many crap over the years. I can't risk to reinstall as I would have to do re-do everything back up. It's now mainly a simple "media server" sending videos to my xbmc on my jailbroken ipad or my 55" TV or my new PC. It's on almost 24/7 just like my new PC any way.

This 840 Pro is epic, all my engineering programs installations that take an hour to two, only took 7-8 minutes!  And they load super fast.  Im already saving up for another :D

At the very worst of it, OCZ had something like 5% failures back in the Vertex 2 days, but that was due to the shoddy SandForce controller.  Even so, that was compared to the ~3% failures that everybody else had.  There was a study done some time ago that gave all the exact numbers.

But the days of SandForce are mostly gone, so the failure rates for everybody are lower.           

I cant believe sandforce performance was/is that bad! This numbers cannot be totally true unless you substantiate with some genuine trustworthy link. I have been using vertex 2 for quite a long time now & trust me this has never let me down!