Len Wiseman Exits Universal

1375315054.jpg

Looks like the producers of Universal?s The Mummy reboot will have to dig up a new director.  Len Wiseman (Total Recall) is reported as being off the project due to scheduling issues.  Producers Sean Daniels, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are in search of a director immediately as the production is continuing to roll.  The Jon Spaihts script looks to reinvent the lucrative series which earned over $1 billion during its last trilogy run.  There?s also the question of screenwriter Billy Ray?s competing script, though the reboot is expected to occur in the modern day regardless.  Hit the jump for more.

The Wrap reported on Wiseman?s exit of the untitled Mummy reboot.  The idea was originally to launch the film in 2014 and there?s no indication as to whether or not that?s changed.  There?s also no definitive word on whether Spaihts or Ray?s script will be the one that forms the backbone of the film, or if they?ll be hybridized in some way.  Wiseman?s previous description of the pic was:

?It?s horror. Its epic. It?s more of a modern day version of what would happen if we came across a mummy in our world today. It is pretty fascinating.?

http://collider.com/len-wiseman-exits-the-mummy/

• 9 months later...
The Mummy Reboot Loses Director Andres Muschietti

Last year, Universal Pictures' The Mummy lost formerly attached director Len Wiseman (Underworld) due to scheduling conflicts. He was soon replaced by Mama helmer Andres Muschietti, but The Wrap is now reporting that Muschietti has also departed the franchise reboot, this time due to creative differences. The outlet reports that Muschietti wanted a darker take on the property than the family-friendly film that Universal now has in mind.

Scripted by Prometheus screenwriter Jon Spaihts, The Mummy is a reboot of the Universal franchise, which dates back more than eight decades. The studio originally released The Mummy in 1932 and followed it with four sequels between then and 1944, including The Mummy's Hand, The Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Ghost and The Mummy's Curse. In 1955, the studio spoofed the property with Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy and then left the franchise dormant until a big screen reboot in 1999.

No one wants it!

Apparently not.  :/

If it had to be made I would preferred a darker version than family friendly.

I agree.

Let's think of who the best director would be for a darker version:

• Peter Jackson is out because I don't want a 3 hour film where the mummies don't even show until an hour into the film (i.e. another King Kong film)
  • JJ Abrams is out because, well, he's busy with Star Wars, but also, no more lens flare
  • James Cameron is an overrated director who's films are rubbish in story (Dances With Wolves people!)
  • Christopher Nolan wouldn't be a bad choice, as long as he leaves the ridiculously complicated and boring storylines alone (i.e. Inception)
  • David Fincher wouldn't be a bad choice, he's certainly had some dark films before
  • Okay, let's face it, my number one pick for any movie these days is Quentin Tarantino. No he hasn't done anything like this before, which is exactly why I'd totally watch it from him.

David Cronenberg's "The Mummy".

Or I think someone like Neil Jordan could do a great adult/serious take on The Mummy.