Food truck worker fired for tweet about customers

New Yorker Brendan O?Connor lost his job last week.

Normally, this would not make for a particularly newsworthy story, but O?Connor?s tale is different, in part because it all started with a tweet of his, shown below.

Thing is, the @GlassLewis in question above is the San Francisco-based shareholder advisory firm of Glass Lewis & Co., which didn?t take too kindly to the public tip-shaming. The company called O?Connor?s boss at Milk Truck, a food truck business specializing in grilled cheese sandwiches, to complain about the accusatory tweet. Two days later, O?Connor?s brief career in food service was over. Milk Truck publicly apologized and the episode was put to rest.

Except that it wasn?t.

Turns out, O?Connor moonlights as a reporter for the New York City culture blog The Awl, and he wrote a lengthy article on the firing, including lurid details about Glass Lewis?s tip-snubbing employees, that ran it on Tuesday. It read, in part:

"This group placed a huge order: three of this sandwich, four of another, three of the one that takes forever on the grill, two of the one that takes forever to assemble. Five or six milkshakes. The order came to just under $170.

"I was making sandwiches, another worker took the order and a third made the milkshakes and watched the grills. A line grew while we worked, and we had to tell other customers that their lunch orders would take longer than usual. They paid; I asked my co-worker who was dealing with the money how much of a tip they?d left. They had left actually no tip at all. (They had paid with a card so we checked the cash tips to see if there?d been a bump. There hadn?t.)

"I asked some of the group as they were picking up their orders if they had intended to not tip. They hemmed and hawed and walked away."

The reaction was swift and impassioned. Readers swarmed social media to berate Milk Truck and Glass Lewis over the incident with expletive-riddled rants, in an effort that at times seemed to suggest Americans had found a new reason to distrust the financial services industry. O'Connor quickly became a folk hero among service workers.

And all this for a proxy advisory firm that, until this week, was not well known to the general public. O?Connor has since pulled back from his story, telling Yahoo! Finance that he does not want to ?fan the flames? and is hoping that the whole thing dies down soon. The Awl on Tuesday asked its readers to take it easy, at least on Milk Truck.

more

post-37120-0-98848900-1375378143.jpg

Because you don't and its not extra, it's your main source of income.

This. So many people think for example delivery drivers get paid what the "Delivery Fee" is. While it may be true for some companies it isn't for most. Usually that just handles insurance and the only real income they get is from tips. I never realized that until I made a friend that worked for Pizza Hut, Dominos is the same way. Now I always try to tip when I can.

• Like 2

I think it is sheer arrogance to expect and demand tips.

It's not the fault of the employee who's income is expected to come from tips.

• Like 3

I think it is sheer arrogance to expect and demand tips.

Maybe in another country where people don't rely on tips as their main paycheck which is a well known fact. I think it is arrogance for someone to expect to have someone to serve them but expect to not have to pay them for it.

why do people think they expect a tip? lol you get paid for your job already the rest is extra.

Tipping food service people is the norm here in the US. Most of these people get paid less than minimum wage because of the tips they are supposed to get from customers. True, it's not required for customers to tip, but it's an accepted/expected social behavior here. To not tip someone in this context, especially after ordering a large amount of food, is just down-right obnoxious.

Employers should pay legal/decent wages -- not rely on customer tips.

And I'd go to the grocery store and cook up my own food, before shelling out $170. :wacko:

• Like 3

As I've said before and will say again, if you're unhappy with your financial position the best course of action it to seek new employment or education. Berating people for not tipping is not acceptable. It's not required, and to be honest it's usually not merited. Considering O'Connor's little twitter tantrum I'm doubtful his services merited a tip as well.

I'm tired of people blaming other people. Don't like your job? Not paid enough? Stop blaming other people and go do something with yourself. If you want to be lazy and work in an industry that 'relies' on tips to make ends meet then you need to deal with the fact not everyone cares about your situation, man up and move on. No one put you there but you.

So quit. I'd be willing to place a bet of hundreds, if not thousands, that there are many other unemployed people out there who would be grateful just to have a job. And would snap that job up in a heartbeat. As for the order, $170 is still an expensive order of food, tip or no tip. I don't disagree with the customer's decision not to leave a tip, but do think the employee(s) have a problem if they expect tips.

They're called tips for a reason.

As I've said before and will say again, if you're unhappy with your financial position the best course of action it to seek new employment or education. Berating people for not tipping is not acceptable. It's not required, and to be honest it's usually not merited. Considering O'Connor's little twitter tantrum I'm doubtful his services merited a tip as well.

I'm tired of people blaming other people. Don't like your job? Not paid enough? Stop blaming other people and go do something with yourself. If you want to be lazy and work in an industry that 'relies' on tips to make ends meet then you need to deal with the fact not everyone cares about your situation, man up and move on. No one put you there but you.

lol better put than mine.

I know there are some really cr*ppy jobs out there, but hello, you're working.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who thinks it's a stupid move in the first place to be Tweeting about things you hate about your job?  I see this sometimes in my Facebook news feed where someone complains about customers or their job and just wonder how one of these days there's a chance they'll get canned for it.

As for the article, I'm aware that some states pay something like $2 or $3 but if they don't get enough in tips the employer is required to pay the difference so they make minimum wage.  To be expecting tips (especially large tips which I'm sure this guy was expecting, when he stresses the fact that it was a $170 order) is self-entitlement.

why do people think they expect a tip? lol you get paid for your job already the rest is extra.

In America, most workers that are employed by a restaurant only get paid about $2.50/hour and rely on tips..

I can go both ways.. I wouldn't call someone out about something business related on the internet.. That person represents the company and when they start running their mouth.. it looks bad for the company..

With that said.. Yeah, he could be stressed the ###### out and had enough..  

Not sure how it works where you are at, but in America...it is common knowledge to tip many places.  Some people only make a few bucks an hour as well and the rest is tips.

As pointed out some jobs that are in the business where tips are common practice pay less then minimum wage with the expectation of tips covering the rest. The food industry being the biggest with these paying practices. So the people in here that don't understand the reason or expectation of tips, clearly haven't spent a lot of time in these kinds of positions. With that said, this guy that made the tweet was completely out of line doing so. Those that work in these types of jobs also know that tips are not mandatory and is considered wrong to voice such a opinion in such a public way. 

Not sure how it works where you are at, but in America...it is common knowledge to tip many places.  Some people only make a few bucks an hour as well and the rest is tips.

I get your point, but the whole point of a tip is just that, it's supposed to be voluntary, if it's expected, is it still a tip?
  • Like 2

Employers should pay legal/decent wages -- not rely on customer tips.

And I'd go to the grocery store and cook up my own food, before shelling out $170. :wacko:

Guess you missed the part that it was a company order, shelling out a $170 for a small company lunch/dinner is pretty normal for some.  :rolleyes:

I get your point, but the whole point of a tip is just that, it's supposed to be voluntary, if it's expected, is it still a tip?

Voluntary for those paying, a small level of expectation for those doing the job. Pizza delivery guys for example pretty much expect tips and it shouldn't be out of the norm for those paying to have a bit of expectation to pay something. Pizza places rarely cover your gas costs and going through a tank or even two in a night isn't unheard of. With high gas prices and the lowered wage the joints pay their drivers, making ends meat as a delivery guy is one of the hardest jobs there is to get by but there is always a need for them. 

True, not mandatory.  But if you put a bunch of people through all that work and they bust their ass to serve you, the human/adult/right thing to do is to tip and show your appreciation. And tips should be based on the service an quality you receive.

And is some places, gratuity is added to the check so I guess some places it is mandatory.  If you can afford to spend all that money on service, you can afford to tip.  If you cannot afford to tip on a bill that big, then maybe you should be taking sack lunches to work.

True, not mandatory.  But if you put a bunch of people through all that work and they bust their ass to serve you, the human/adult/right thing to do is to tip and show your appreciation. And tips should be based on the service an quality you receive.

And is some places, gratuity is added to the check so I guess some places it is mandatory.  If you can afford to spend all that money on service, you can afford to tip.  If you cannot afford to tip on a bill that big, then maybe you should be taking sack lunches to work.

This actually brings me to something I editted out of my first comment, the amount of food that was ordered would have been cheaper to buy in some fast food joints, ok it wouldn't be the same quality, but in quantity, then said employee, and by extension, the company, would have made nothing on the order as it wouldn't have existed. I get trying to earn a living in cut throat trades, food, fashion etc.. is hard, but if this employee has such a problem not receiving a tip, then he should re think his attitude, as there will always be someone else who is willing to do his job. I, like you, and everyone here, live in the real world, we all know job security is becoming more and more rare. I guess I just found this employee to be an ungrateful little sh*t, with his tweet.

I'm pretty sure when you work a food truck that you don't live off of tips much like how the people who work takeout get paid regular wage. This is why the people who work inside a pizza place get minimum wage but the drivers get tip wages. I'm pretty sure this person just felt entitled to money for doing their job.

This actually brings me to something I editted out of my first comment, the amount of food that was ordered would have been cheaper to buy in some fast food joints, ok it wouldn't be the same quality, but in quantity, then said employee, and by extension, the company, would have made nothing on the order as it wouldn't have existed. I get trying to earn a living in cut throat trades, food, fashion etc.. is hard, but if this employee has such a problem not receiving a tip, then he should re think his attitude, as there will always be someone else who is willing to do his job. I, like you, and everyone here, live in the real world, we all know job security is becoming more and more rare. I guess I just found this employee to be an ungrateful little sh*t, with his tweet.

What, so the company should be grateful that they picked that place to order food from?  Some people who rely on tips only get paid 3-4 bucks an hour.  That is below minimum wage.  Tips are part of they yearly income and they rely on it.  Like I said before, if you can afford to spent 170 on food and people bust their ass, then you can afford to tip and show your appreciation.  If the service was crap, by all means do not tip or tip accordingly.  I tipped a few times 2 cents because the service sucked.  The server was either rude, slow, or the food sucked.  Also, the tips are not just for the servers.  More often than not, the server has to split the tips with other servers and the back room staff.  You know, the ones who prepare your food, cook your food, and make sure it is to your liking.  For them to knowingly not tip on an order that big and for the people busting their ass to serve them, then I would call the non tippers ungrateful little ###### and cheap bastards that should next time think a little before ordering anything else from anyone else.  Yes, they could of ordered fast food.  But that is not quality food and very little time and care goes in to it.  Why fast food is much cheaper than other places.  Maybe next time the company should choose fast food since obviously they do not care about quality and service.

Should the employee of tweeted?  Maybe not, but I understand him and he was upset. The company's, the non tippers, name is now out there and lots of people now know who they are.  Maybe next time they will think before ordering again.

I'm pretty sure when you work a food truck that you don't live off of tips much like how the people who work takeout get paid regular wage. This is why the people who work inside a pizza place get minimum wage but the drivers get tip wages. I'm pretty sure this person just felt entitled to money for doing their job.

Some food trucks food are high quality and really good food you would get in a restaurant.  They work just as hard and take just as long a time cooking and preparing your food.  Its not like food trucks years ago, it is actually a better business now.  Of course, you still have those low quality food trucks...but then again, you have low quality restaurants as well.

What, so the company should be grateful that they picked that place to order food from? Some people who rely on tips only get paid 3-4 bucks an hour. That is below minimum wage. Tips are part of they yearly income and they rely on it. Like I said before, if you can afford to spent 170 on food and people bust their ass, then you can afford to tip and show your appreciation. If the service was crap, by all means do not tip or tip accordingly. I tipped a few times 2 cents because the service sucked. The server was either rude, slow, or the food sucked. Also, the tips are not just for the servers. More often than not, the server has to split the tips with other servers and the back room staff. You know, the ones who prepare your food, cook your food, and make sure it is to your liking. For them to knowingly not tip on an order that big and for the people busting their ass to serve them, then I would call the non tippers ungrateful little ****s and cheap ******* that should next time think a little before ordering anything else from anyone else. Yes, they could of ordered fast food. But that is not quality food and very little time and care goes in to it. Why fast food is much cheaper than other places. Maybe next time the company should choose fast food since obviously they do not care about quality and service.

Should the employee of tweeted? Maybe not, but I understand him and he was upset. The company's, the non tippers, name is now out there and lots of people now know who they are. Maybe next time they will think before ordering again.

Some food trucks food are high quality and really good food you would get in a restaurant. They work just as hard and take just as long a time cooking and preparing your food. Its not like food trucks years ago, it is actually a better business now. Of course, you still have those low quality food trucks...but then again, you have low quality restaurants as well.

you do realised that can go both ways,

I think this has more change of doing damage to the food company more than the customer. And hold off on the shooting there, I was merely making a point, if you come to me, and buy something you want from me, it's your money you're spending, I don't think I have the right to expect a tip from you, nor would I tweet that.

Which brings me back to the question, if it's expected, is it a tip?

And yes this question has been answered by techbeck.

you do realised that can go both ways,

I think this has more change of doing damage to the food company more than the customer. And hold off on the shooting there, I was merely making a point, if you come to me, and buy something you want from me, it's your money you're spending, I don't think I have the right to expect a tip from you, nor would I tweet that.

Shouting?  Where did I shout?  Did I use caps/exclamation marks someplace?

Buying something from you is different that having someone wait hand and foot on you and provide you with a special service.  Tipping is just the right thing to do and anyone who has ever been out in the real world would know this.