My SSD is so fast I thought my computer was broken

Turning off hibernation in Windows 8 disables the hybrid boot I believe. That will slow down boot times if you care.

No it doesn't.

SATA II is no doubt your bottleneck.. If you have a free PCI express a lot, you might want to look into getting a sata III card.. They sell them at best buy.. Grab one and if it doesn't give you a huge difference take it back :p

But if it super fast.. No sense messing with it

I actually have a Promise SATA card lying around.  It says "SATA 300".  I assume that means 3gbit/s, and not SATA 3.  And I think its regular PCI.  And is that little short slot in between my PCI and my PCIE Graphics card slot another PCIE slot?

Turning off hibernation in Windows 8 disables the hybrid boot I believe. That will slow down boot times if you care.

No it doesn't.

Do you have a source for that? As far as I'm aware disabling the hibernate file does indeed disable the faster hybrid boot: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx:

Now here?s the key difference for Windows 8: as in Windows 7, we close the user sessions, but instead of closing the kernel session, we hibernate it.

You can disable hibernation and reclaim this space by running powercfg /hibernate off from an elevated command prompt. But be aware that if you do this, it will disable hibernation completely, including some nice capabilities like fast startup as well as hybrid sleep,

Do you have a source for that? As far as I'm aware disabling the hibernate file does indeed disable the faster hybrid boot: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/08/delivering-fast-boot-times-in-windows-8.aspx:

So wait, I've never heard of hybrid boot, does this mean that when you shut down, it saves the kernel state, and when you boot up, instead of restarting the kernel, it reloads it?  And this is faster?  And I assume if you cold reboot, it is then forced to restart it?  

Maybe I should reenable hibernation...

Also, this Promise SATA card has got a huge 1" square blank gold pad on it for some reason, that might be worth something...

Well I downloaded and installed BootRacer.  Time to log in to windows with hibernation turned off: 7 seconds.  Time to log in to windows with hibernation and "fast boot" enabled: 7 seconds.  Time to load desktop for both settings was also the same, at 20 seconds (I have a lot of programs in my startup).

So unless BootRacer isn't able to measure how long it takes the kernel to load (it probably isn't), there wasn't any noticeable change with "fast boot".  And yes, I used "shut down", not restart, because thats the only way to hibernate the kernel.  And I tried it twice, just in case I had to reboot to enable hibernation the first time.

<csb>

So I set up my new Crucial M4 last night, installed Windows 8.1 on it, configured everything, and when i get to the first "real" bootup (IE no more "setting things up for you..." bootup stages)...

Well... first a bit of background: on my computer, right after you turn it on, the CPU fan spins to 100% for the first 2 or 3 seconds, and then once the BIOS loads, it slows down to a more reasonable speed.  Also, I have SpeedFan installed and set to run automatically on startup, and when SpeedFan starts up, it too sets the CPU fan to 100% at first, before letting it slow down.

So when I turned on my PC, I saw the Windows splash screen, so I went to do something else.  10 seconds later, I hear the CPU fan spin to 100%, and I think "oh no, there's something wrong with my SSD, and my PC just rebooted in mid-boot".  

But it was SpeedFan.  I never actually thought it would boot that fast.  Hell, I only have a SATA II motherboard, so this drive isn't even running at its full potential.

Also, I'm sure you've seen videos like this a thousand times before, but I just find it so cool that I can do this:

http://youtu.be/iC1dYZDNgMY

</csb>

The first time i rebooted after having installed my sdd it booted so fast it did not display the blue windows logo. I though "this can't be real, it must be the win 8 hybrid boot", So i unplugged the power chord and i retried, and got the same result :O

Yes, myself.  I have disabled it with no start slow down.  Prior to disabling hibernation the start up time was approximately 12 seconds, and after disabling it was still 12 seconds.

Yes, myself.  I have disabled it with no start slow down.  Prior to disabling hibernation the start up time was approximately 12 seconds, and after disabling it was still 12 seconds.

I think that's because with an SSD, we really can't notice the difference hibernating the kernel makes.  I too see no difference between fast boot enabled and disabled.  Actually, since all you need to do to disable fast boot is to reboot instead of shut down, that would be an easier way of comparing than disabling.

Also, does anyone know the event viewer code to check and see if fast boot is working?

GaMcM4N.png

Corsair Force GT 2,5" 120GB SSD - Sata2 port.

I got similar speed curves in my block size test; does that mean I should have formatted the drive with 512kb sectors or higher?  I just used whatever default ntfs is, 4kb i think?

I have no idea, I just used Windows own format tool. ( I mean that tool which appears when you select the installation drive upon a clean install )

That means you probably have 4k block sizes too.  I'm curious, anyone tried non-default block size on an SSD?