FX cast Billy Bob Thornton in 'Fargo' TV adaptation

1375461478.jpg

FX?s adaptation of the film Fargo has found its lead: Billy Bob Thornton star in the show.

The casting marks the Armageddon and actor?s first TV series regular role since his breakout performance in Sling Blade in 1996. That?s actually the same year the Coen brothers released their Oscar-winning Fargo film.

FX has picked up the show for a 10-episode limited series with Noah Hawley (Bones) writing the series. The original film followed apregnant sheriff who unraveled a botched kidnapping plot. FX president and general manager John Landgraf predicted Friday that the show will do justice to the film.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/02/billy-bob-thornton-fargo/

• 1 month later...

Sherlock co-star Martin Freeman is set as the co-lead opposite Billy Bob Thornton in FX?s first limited series Fargo, executive produced by Joel and Ethan Coen. A 10-episode limited series inspired by the Coens? 1996 film, FX?s Fargo will feature an all-new true crime story, with the series following a new case and new characters, all entrenched in the trademark humor, murder and ?Minnesota nice? of the film.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/09/fargo-sherlocks-martin-freeman-to-co.html

• 2 weeks later...

Z50DGgT.png

FX?s limited series adaptation of the Coen Brothers? Fargo continues to rack up an incredibly impressive cast.  As we previously reported, the show will feature a new story and new characters with Billy Bob Thornton set to star as Lorne Malvo, ?the rootless, manipulative man who meets a small-town insurance salesman and sets him on a path of destruction.?  The show will also star Martin Freeman, Colin Hanks, and according to a recent press release, Bob Odenkirk, Oliver Platt, Kate Walsh, and Glenn Howerton have joined the cast.  It?s an exciting line-up of stars, but it should be noted that the Coens are only executive producing the 10-episode series.  The showrunner is Noah Hawley, a writer and producer on Bones, and the creator of the short-lived series The Unusuals and My Generation.

http://collider.com/fargo-tv-series-bob-odenkirk-oliver-platt-kate-walsh/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Great film, the new clips look stunning and the cast is strong enough even though the original films cast were spot on. however i just can't see how they can make the film in to a series.

Thankfully it's not up to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah I saw the pilot last week and really enjoyed it. MF and BBT where both solid. Allison Tolman seems to be a good casting too. Interesting to see how Colin Hanks does. A great start to the show, really looking forward to how it plays out now :yes:

Yup, really enjoyed it to, oddly enough i forgot it was on and had watched the film a few nights before for the first time in yonks. So it was interesting to see the direction they were taking the series and all the little nods to the film.

Will be watching ep 2 for certain.

Just watched the pilot last night, not a Billy Bob Thornton fan, but he was good in this.

Some how reminded me of Twin Peaks. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Yes! It was Twin Peaks i was thinking of too.

I'm enjoying this show, it's been great so far. MF and BBT have both been superb so far IMO. I especially enjoyed the Post Office scene in the second episode!

Why is Bilbo Baggins in this? Weird casting choice for something like Fargo.

That's my biggest problem with the show.  It's looking really good so far but Martin Freeman only ever seems to be able to play Martin Freeman.  Watching him, all I can think of is Bilbo, Dr Watson, the guy from The Office because he just doesn't seem to be capable of playing different characters. 

I just thank the gods that they didn't cast him in the main role for Orphan Black ;)

Watched the first episode last night

Love it, i love how dark it is

cant wait to watch ep2 tonight