Needing assistance with Network setup

Question

Earth Child

Hello there.

I will apreciate if you can help me with a few issues I have while trying for the first time to create my home network. I red on Internet for some time now, but it was more difficult than I expected.

The devices included are as follow:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Unit A - Ethernet switch -> D Link DES-1005D [iP address: I do not know how to get it]

Unit B - External drive -> Sea Gate, Black Armour NAS 220 [iP address: 192.168.0.50]

• USB 1 - Attached external drive 01
  • USB 2 - Attached external drive 02

Unit C - Print server -> D Link DPR 2000 [iP address: 192.168.0.250]

• Four various printers are attached to it but all are a few years old

--------------------------------------------------------

Unit 01 - Laptop with Windows 7 [iP address: 192.168.0.2]

Unit 02 - Desktop with Windows 7 [iP address: 192.168.0.3]

Unit 03 - Laptop with Windows 8 [iP address: 192.168.0.4]

This all configuration was attached to a wireless router, which router belong to a company. When I relocated the IT guy told me that I have to only connect the cables and power the units and everything should work fine. Well it wasn't exactly like that. Now I use a removable 3G USB internet and just use it on the two laptops mainly. The idea is to have access to the external drive from any of the PC's and also to be able to print. It is not essential to have internet router at this stage.

I can acces so far the external drive from Unit 01 the rest I think it doesn't work for a obvious reason.

I am looking forward to your comments.

Regards,

7 answers to this question

+BudMan

That switch is a just a dumb unmanaged switch, it is not going to have an IP address.

If all of those devices with those IPs are set statically on the devices/computer with a mask of /24 or 255.255.255.0 then yeah if you connect them to that switch they would be on the same network = shazam your done.

What is not working?

Earth Child

Hi and tanks for the feedback.

I can access the external drive only from one of the PC's, a laptop, namely Unit 1. On the other two machines I see the drive as an icon but doesn't give me access. I am enclosing a few images as a reference and a brief comments in between.

post-502711-0-40856800-1375637711.jpg

When I click on drawing A, (there the devise is marked as a computer) I get all three shortcuts as seeing below. The last two, which are the small USB external drives, I can get access to but to the Seagate, I can not. When click on the icon security kicks in.

post-502711-0-02543400-1375637749.jpg

post-502711-0-58808100-1375637777.jpg

When I click on drawing B (there the devise is marked as a storage, see first image) I am again required to add details.

post-502711-0-85262400-1375637800.jpg

Due to the fact I have no passwords on none of the two problematic PC, and haven't created one on the network, I am not sure where to get this username and password from. I tried to reset the external drive (Seagate), which process should reset all to "admin" as username and password, bit still no luck. I gues the problem is in the setup somewhere, but without knowledge on is as a vehicle without tyres.

Regards.

+BudMan

Well for one - identify your network, it would be a home network.

But since you can access the thing and getting prompted, then they are "networked".. Your going to need to understand how to setup your own security on your own devices..

Contact seagate if you can not get access to your device. Your clearly "networked"

Earth Child

An hour ago (perhaps from too much reading or "networking" my self) I reset the Seagate to factory settings. The problem I descover leter was that I lost connection to Seagate and from the Unit 01 PS. So now I have no access to the drive at all. I am reading on the net how to get the IP address of the hard drive in order to start again. Will let you know with my progress later...

P.S. I found a huge chaos of information on the net. Shurely things can work better, like in the Nature for example.

+BudMan

And when you reset it - what does it default IP change too, does it default to dhcp?

Setting up a NAS and a few boxes on a network takes all of about 30 seconds to do.. Normally you would have dhcp server, and it would hand out the information.. And you computers boot dhcp, if anything static you either change them to dhcp or setup the static to be on the same network as what your handing out via dhcp.

I have no idea what you have been reading, but this is all pretty basic stuff.. And to be honest all you have to do is turn your devices on.. If you had a dhcp server, or normally in a home setup a router that would be your gateway off your local network and your dhcp server, etc.

As to your NAS -- from the getting started guide you should just be able to run discovery on your PC with the software to find your nas and set it up

http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/about/newsroom/media-kits/_shared/images/BlackArmorNAS220UserGuide.pdf

1. Double-click the BlackArmor Discovery icon

on your desktop (Windows) or in your Applications folder (Mac)

Earth Child

Greetings!

Sorry to say it but I don't know. However I will describe what I have done so far.

While the Seagate was link to the switch (after reset and restart) I noticed that the icons in the networking section was gone on all machines or PC's. I was cross with my self because I didn't know how to find the new IP address of the reseted unit. I tried to ping its IP address: 192.168.0.50 but it wasn't pinging (in real fact I have no idea what this pinging does). This indicated to me that the latest IP address of the Seagate has changed.

Then I unpluged the network cable of the Seagate from the switch and pluged it into one of the laptops. (My D-Link switch doesn't have a DHCP, therefore I created a static IP addresses when I started a few days ago.) The first thing I did was trying to open the Discovery software, which wasn't responding at all. I did it a few times. I discovered later that it opens when the network cable is unpluged from the PC, but subsiquently it will not register any drives. I pluged in the cable while the software is open but no luck. The other PC's were responding in the same manners.

So it sounds lovely to do all this in a short time but sometime the Universe holds things back for a reason.

I sent a message to Seagate central yesterday, but no feedback yet. At least today I managed to spend an hour with our baby as I was afraid to switch the computers on.

Thanks for following up, so far... :rainbow:

+BudMan

So if you RESET it, its going to dhcp mode.. So run a dhcp server.. Here is one!

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

This will allow your nas to get an IP, then you can access it.

If you give me team viewer access we can get it up and running in a few minutes.