Receiver Upgrade: Yamaha RX-V565

Upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V361 to Yamaha RX-V565 and arrived yesterday courtesy of eBay.

4xHDMI inputs which had made life a lot easier; Dell Windows 8 Laptop, Xbox 360, PS3, Ubuntu Laptop (DVI -> HDMI).

Upscale / output from AV in to HDMI; Playstation, Playstation 2 :D

I do like the pass-through HDMI when switched off as I can switch output from my monitor to the living room TV via HDMI over Cat5e extender to have any of my devices on it.

First AV Receiver I've had with HDMI and it's quite a change and made such a difference compared to the pain getting devices to use TOS-Link / S/PDIF and recognise where the video output is going! No more pulling out 4-6 HDMI cables and couplers. :D

I only have 5.1 setup currently as the unit is located in the study so not sure I can really justify 7.1 at the moment.

post-129876-0-27151800-1375645833.jpg

post-129876-0-61405800-1375645851.jpg

post-129876-0-09890400-1375645870.jpg

i have never had any audio receiver before, We have always rented so i have not been willing to spend the money on a sound system being that i would never be able to really use it.

i have never had any audio receiver before, We have always rented so i have not been willing to spend the money on a sound system being that i would never be able to really use it.

a nice 5.1 sound system does not have to be loud to be enjoyed.  with 2 little ones at home (at least 1 of them is always sleeping) the volume doesnt get cranked often.  but that doesnt take away from the added sound provided while watching movies/shows that support it. 

congrats!  yes replacing a non-hdmi receiver with a hdmi one is a day/night comparison.  makes things much easier.

It really is! It certainly has come a long way with sorting out DRC as well compared to the older model.

a nice 5.1 sound system does not have to be loud to be enjoyed.  with 2 little ones at home (at least 1 of them is always sleeping) the volume doesnt get cranked often.  but that doesnt take away from the added sound provided while watching movies/shows that support it. 

I rent and have two children under the age of 6. I have mine setup like a personal 5.1 system at the desk though. I also don't use a subwoofer as with the Technics receiving the LFE redirection as well, I *really* do not need any more bass.

I originally had a Creative Inspire 6.1 analogue system did what older Creative products do best when their warranty is due to expire.

I borrowed my Mrs. Technics EH-600 Hi-fi for a while but it didn't survive our original house move well and I suspect some condensation damage whilst it was in storage. I kept the centre and "bookshelf" (which by they must mean category 1 grade steel reinforced) speakers and purchased the RX-V361 to try to do away with sound card analogue 5.1 nonsense and wanted to run Laptop/Games console -> Receiver via digital TOS/Link or S/P-DIF.

Plan failed though as most PC games will not output 5.1 / Surround over this though because of LPCM encoding which isn't well supported over these interfaces to my knowledge or certainly at least with this model Yamaha. This forced me to hook up 3x 3.5mm jack to RCA stereo cables to the laptop and run in analogue mode which is less than ideal for automatically switching to either the Xbox 360 or PS3 on digital.

I paid around ?68 for the V361 and around ?124 for the V565. I'm hoping to make at least half back as they seem to be in quite demand and mine isn't suffering from any quality issues unlike some unlucky customers.

I have / can have everything I own plugged into the V565 if I wish and switch between them on the fly easily - plus it can act as a speaker system or a glorified powered 4x HDMI switcher (which are quite expensive at the moment).

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      Apple announces free repairs program for iPhone 12 handsets with sound issues
      by Usama Jawad

Apple announced the iPhone 12 series in October 2020, and the standard model was reviewed quite favorably at Neowin. We awarded it a 9.5/10 rating with the only notable issues cited being a massive notch and the lack of a charger in the box. However, it appears that the handset has started to show signs of latent defects, and Apple has now opened a new service program for handsets affected by sound issues.

Some iPhone 12 and 12 Pro owners have been experiencing sound-related issues where the handsets will not produce sound from the receiver during calls. Apple says that this is due to the failure of a component in the receiver module, and as such, affected customers are eligible for free repairs.

According to the Cupertino tech giant, this issue only affects a "very small percentage" of iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro devices produced between October 2020 and April 2021. iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max are not eligible for free repairs.

The process to get your handset fixed is fairly simple. You just have to get in touch with an Apple Authorized Service Provider, the Apple Retail Store, or Apple Support to initiate the process. Prior to handing over your iPhone for repairs, Apple has recommended that you back up the device to iCloud.

However, there are a few caveats. If there are other existing defects such as a cracked screen, they will have to be repaired first before the company fixes the receiver module. Of course, this also means that you may have to pay additional costs before you get your affected device in a fully functional state. Furthermore, Apple has cautioned that this service program does not extend your standard warranty, is applicable to iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro units two years after their retail sale, and may be locked to your region of purchase.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Apple is investigating an issue related to 'pink squares' with the M1 Mac mini
      by Usama Jawad

Apple announced the M1 Mac mini in November 2020, promising 3 times faster CPU speeds, 6 times the GPU performance (with support for 6K displays), and 15 times the machine learning performance over the previous generation. While the performance of the Apple Silicon chip has been praised, the company is reportedly investigating an issue where "pink squares" appear when the new Mac mini is connected to a display.

Multiple threads on Apple's forums have cited an issue where random pink squares appear on the display when the M1 Mac mini is connected via the HDMI port rather than the Thunderbolt. One such thread has over 500 endorsements from users who faced the same issue. The forum post mentions that:

While the culprit behind the issue is currently unknown, MacRumors has obtained an internal memo, dated February 19, which indicates that Apple is investigating the problem. In the meantime, the following troubleshooting steps have been mentioned in the memo:

Put the Mac mini to sleep Wait two minutes and wake the Mac mini Unplug the display from the Mac mini, and then plug the display back in Adjust the display's resolution in System Preferences > Displays As Apple has not publicly acknowledged the investigation yet, it is unclear as to when a fix will be released. That said, it should be sooner rather than later given that the company is actively looking into it.

Source: MacRumors

• By Steven P.
      CHOETECH USB C to HDMI 6FT (Thunderbolt 3 compatible) cable for under $10
      by Steven Parker

Right now you can pick up the CHOETECH USB C to HDMI 6FT Cable (4K @60Hz and Thunderbolt 3 Compatible) and apply a coupon that saves you $6.39 off the $15.97 list price.

This is not only a great deal at $9.58, this cable supports up to 4K Ultra HD at 60Hz via the HDMI port. It's backward compatible with 1080P and 720P, delivering crystal clear, high-quality video and audio. Perfect for presentations, movie nights and more. The standard USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) port and HDMI converter is corrosion-resistant and excellent in conductivity with a 24K gold plated connector. It also features an anti-slip design on the HDMI port to make it easy to multi-plug and unplug.

It's compatible with 2018/2017/2016 MacBook Pro, iPad Pro 2018, iMac 2017, MacBook 2017/2016/2015, Surface Book 2, Pixelbook, Galaxy Book, Samsung Galaxy S8/ S9/ S8 Plus/ S9 Plus/ Note 8/ Note 9, Dell XPS 15 / XPS 13, Chromebook, Chromebook Pixel and more devices with USB-C (with video output function) or a Thunderbolt 3 port.

The USB C to HDMI Cable will allow you to mirror or extend a laptop to an HDTV, monitor or projector.

When ordering at Amazon and checking out, apply the Coupon code: 97L7OWIG for $6.39 off, be aware that this code is valid until Monday, July 27, 11:59PM EDT.

Get the CHOETECH USB C to HDMI 6FT cable for $9.58 at Amazon (list price $15.97)

As an Amazon Associate, Neowin may earn commission from qualifying purchases.

• By News Staff
      13.3'' IPS Dispay Screen for Raspberry Pi, Windows & Gaming 9% off for $134.99
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Gear + Gadgets section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 9% off this 13.3'' IPS Dispay Screen for Raspberry Pi, Windows & Gaming. For STEM learning and leisure! This 13.3" monitor features 1080p resolution and 178° wide angle for clearer and more Immersive viewing.

What's the deal?
      Introducing this SunFounder 13.3-inch monitor which is so lightweight that you can carry it or move it outside easily, it also allows being powered with a portable battery when you are outside. As a professional IPS monitor, it is made with a mature technology that is capable of outstanding performance in showing the HD picture. That would be the best choice to use it as a gaming monitor. In addition, It's perfect for a portable Raspberry Pi system PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX360, and Windows, a power-bank can drive this monitor, make you have no worries for the item charge issues.

13.3" full HD screen w/ 1920x1080 resolution, IPS panel, 72% color gamut & wide visual angle Fast response speed & accurate color rendition perfect for both STEM learning and gaming Only 0.6" thin, best portable monitor for travel & business occasions Multiple video interfaces support HDMI, USB output/input, & 3.55mm earphone output Works perfectly for Raspberry Pi, Windows System, PS3, PS4 & XBOX360 Specs

Screen size: 13.3" Dimensions: 12.72"L x 8.07"W x 0.6"D Visible area: 11.53" x 6.50" Resolution: 1920 x 1080 FHD Pitch: 0.05x0.15mm Power: DC12V, USB 5V IN or 5V OUT Input signal: HDMI-1, HDMI-2 Consumption: 10W Audio: two-way audio output, 8 Ω2W Headphone jack Operation mode: the Key operation Panel Type: IPS Display color: 262K Contrast: 800:1 Brightness: 300cd/m2 Interface type: Digital Backlight: LED Response time: 5ms Working temperature: 68°F ~ 176°F Working voltage: 5-12V Signal input: 1 channel 5V MIcro USB input and output interface, 3.5mm headphone output interface Control mode: Multi-function OSD operation or Adjust brightness and color by potential OSD language: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese Viewing angle: 178 degrees wide viewing angle Manufacturer's 1-year warranty Compatibility

Raspberry Pi, Windows Sytem, PS3, PS4, XBOX360 Includes

13.3" monitor HDMI cable 12V 2A power adapter USB cable Folding metal rack Manual

Good to know
      Ships To Contiguous US Expected Delivery: May 7 - May 11 All sales final. For a full description, specs, and terms, click here.

What's the benefit?
      This 13.3'' IPS Dispay Screen for Raspberry Pi, Windows & Gaming normally retails for $149, but you can pick it up for just $134.99 for a limited time, that's $14.01 (9%) off.

Optional 1 or 2 year warranty can also be added at an extra cost.

>> Click here to purchase or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Gear + Gadgets on offer · This is a time-limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 256GB Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 70% off Private Internet Access subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Timi Cantisano
      Hyperkin announces plans to release a new HDMI cable for the original Xbox
      by Timi Cantisano

It's hard to believe, but 17 years ago, Microsoft launched its first gaming console, the Xbox. Now, nearly two decades after its release, Hyperkin is announcing plans to release a new accessory for the console.

Although the original Xbox had the ability to output in HD, it did so through component cables. You wouldn't give Hyperkin much credit if it just released a component solution in 2018. Luckily, the firm has something better in mind with its cable that will output to a display using HDMI. The original Xbox has a proprietary port on the back, so presumably, it will go from that port to HDMI. The solution will allow the Xbox to output at a max resolution of 1080i. This isn't the first cable of its kind, with other companies making something similar, but it could be the first to be approved and licensed by Xbox.

Hyperkin has been paying homage to the original Xbox quite a bit, starting with last year's Duke controller. During this year's E3, the company showed off its neon variants of the Duke controller. While the company has announced the new cable, it won't be available until the final quarter of the year. Hyperkin has not announced a price.