Rage franchise could have a future, id Software says

The Rage franchise, which saw its first entry released in 2011 by developer id Software and publisher Bethesda Softworks, could have a future at the studio, creative director Tim Willits told Polygon at QuakeCon 2013.

When asked if the series would ever see a second installment, Willits responded enthusiastically.

"Well, I hope someday," Willits said. "The franchise is not dead, and we built the game in such a way where ? we made a rich enough universe where it would be quite easy to step back into that world and make something cool. So, yeah, that's be great, someday."

If Rage ever does receive a sequel, it likely won't arrive anytime soon; last year,Willits told Polygon that the studio was singularly focused on getting Doom 4 out the door before working on any side projects. For more on the state of id Software andDoom 4, read more from our interview with Willits.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/5/4590152/rage-franchise-could-have-a-future-id-software-says

I thought it was a meh game all around. They tried to add story, when id games really really don't work well with story, then they tried new tech that really blew when shoehorned into the console space and untested video drivers that were released at the time... and on top of it all, the tech made stuff look like **** and be really static in the way they built the maps and layered the textures over them.

The reactions of the npcs and the firefights were solid though. They should keep that, and look for a better way to showcase the awesomeness that is doom4 and the wastland of rage.

Also, in terms of the split personality, driving and gunning and rpgish, boarderlands beat them out of the gate, and even if you don't like borderlands, by the time rage rolled around, their atmosphere and scenario was old hat.

No thanks. I'd rather see something that isn't so... mediocre.

the ending was the worst.  i though the game itself was good at times.   if they keep the good and expand on the story, i would play it.

One of the biggest problems with RAGE is that it simply didn't have an ending. There were lots of hints about a big boss finale and you finally acquired BFG ammunition only for the game to end abruptly. The first time I completed the game I hadn't even fired a single BFG round because I was saving them up for a boss fight. I had to load up an old save to try them out, yet there weren't any worthwhile enemies to use them against.

RAGE was a technical disaster. It was portrayed as a Borderlands style open-world game with a cutting edge engine, yet turned out to be one of the most linear shooters of recent years and terrible visually (awful texture quality, no dynamic lights, incredibly low polygon counts, use of sprites, etc). There were also major performance issues at launch, which were inexcusable given the poor graphics.

The RAGE franchise might have a future but I'm certainly not interested.

I think i would have enjoyed it, if it wasn't such a technical mess. I've owned the game since day 1 and i have still yet to sink more than 30 minutes into the game. Textures wouldn't load in and when they did... don't turn around because you'll lose them :laugh:

I actually loaded it up again a couple of months ago just to see if patches have fixed the issues. Nope, still has the same issues. It is the only game i've had on this computer that i couldn't run without game breaking bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was a pretty fun game when you got to the shooting sections.

I though the driving was pretty pointless and the story was crap and as you have all said, where's the friggin' ending? But if they got a decent writer and worked on more open levels (a la 90s FPS) then I think it would be pretty cool. There was potential for a decent mythos around the world, but they never quite got it unfortunately.

There were some excellent moments in Rage where the gun battles were a lot of fun.  I love the brawling style gun fights where you rely on strafing to stay alive as oppose to the duck and hide type fights.  The gun play and high frame rate of Rage were excellent.  Too bad everything else in the game was crap.  The story was crap, the settings were crap, the lack of diverse mobs to shoot was crap, and the car battles were just terrible.

One of the boss fights (the one with the oversized baddy, can't remember anymore specifics) on the "hard" difficulty setting couldn't even kill you.  The boss would shoot rockets at you that if you were hit would knock you down to like 5% and then you would self heal to 100% before the boss would shoot anymore rockets.  I just stood their taking rockets and completely dumbfounded at how poorly executed the game was and how well it was summed up in bad boss design.