Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

http://news.yahoo.com/tenn-judge-changes-infants-name-messiah-215423538.html

A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the name change last week, according to WBIR-TV (http://on.wbir.com/1cDOeTY). The boy's parents were in court because they could not agree on the child's last name, but when the judge heard the boy's first name, she ordered it changed, too.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Ballew said.

It was the first time she ordered a first name change, the judge said.

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The judge in eastern Tennessee said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique and she liked how it sounded alongside the boy's two siblings ? Micah and Mason.

"Everybody believes what they want so I think I should be able to name my child what I want to name him, not someone else," Martin said.

Ballew said the name Messiah could cause problems if the child grows up in Cocke County, which has a large Christian population.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge said.

Silly name, retarded ruling. 

Messiah was No. 4 among the fastest-rising baby names in 2012, according to the Social Security Administration's annual list of popular baby names.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal. She says Messiah is unique

Lol. 

So, someone can actually say yes or no to a child's name?

I plan on naming my son Damien. Wonder if a judge will change it.

In the US no but other countries have rules on what name or even type of name that can be given. 

In the US no but other countries have rules on what name or even type of name that can be given. 

Iceland comes to mind when you think of places forcing name changes.... their whole "your name doesn't fit into our culture" BS argument they use

This was in Tennessee, so it appears to be setting a new precedent.

This was in Tennessee, so it appears to be setting a new precedent.

I have no doubt it will be over turned, this judge is way over stepping her role. 

Iceland comes to mind when you think of places forcing name changes.... their whole "your name doesn't fit into our culture" BS argument they use

For some places, not sure about Iceland, it's to prevent your kid getting ridiculed because their parents thought it would be funny to give them a ridiculous name.

That lacks any credibility when this article is specifically about the US.

It is absolutely ridiculous for a judge to rename a child without permission, especially when doing so for religious reasons. Unfortunately the US has become a theocratic police state.

• Like 1

1. The names of the one Christians call Jesus etc. etc. our NOT owned by Christianity ill call my kid Kane and my other kind Able if I want or indeed Jesus etc etc.

The parents went to the court about the childs LAST name how dare the judge change the Childs name like that.

I like the name messiah didn't it mean Leader rather than King or Son of God (since Jews don't believe the messiah Is the son of god)

So, someone can actually say yes or no to a child's name?

Judges can in certain circumstances, I remember years ago some parents weren't allowed to name their kid some unpronounceable string of letters they were trying to use.

While I don't necessarily agree with what the judge did or the reasoning behind it, I kind of think it should happen more often. People are getting a little too stupid with the names; like Rob Morrow's kid Tu Morrow, and Kim and Kanye's kid North West, or Moon Unit Zappa.

If it is upheld, this kid will thank the judge in 13 years. I can hear the kids in the hall yelling, "Hey Messy", already.

This kind of naming, like "King" and "Messiah", and the more grandiose names just show how insecure and/or pompous and self-righteous the parents are. It doesn't bode well for a healthy childhood, no matter what their names eventually become.

• Like 2

good thing he's not from south floirda, there's a lot of people named Jesus here....

Indeed.

Maybe, he thinks they don't count because they are not white (like Jesus was) and pronounce it "Hey-soos". 

• Like 1

I don't know whats more silly, the parents wanting to name their child that, or a JUDGE basing her rulings on fairly tales she was brain washed into believing as a kid.

The law is supposed to be based on reality, not fiction.

Right to be stupid, is a freedom we should have in the US.

Something like this you mean?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/26/us-usa-kerry-liberties-idUSBRE91P0HJ20130226

Seems your leaders agree with you.

1. The names of the one Christians call Jesus etc. etc. our NOT owned by Christianity ill call my kid Kane and my other kind Able if I want or indeed Jesus etc etc.
  2. The parents went to the court about the childs LAST name how dare the judge change the Childs name like that.
  3. I like the name messiah didn't it mean Leader rather than King or Son of God (since Jews don't believe the messiah Is the son of god)

messiah means "anointed". The greek translation of messiah is "christ"

wow... freedom of speech, freedom of expression, but not freedom to name your own child...

wow... freedom of speech, freedom of expression, but not freedom to name your own child...

It will be over turned, the judge was out of line in that ruling.

New Zealand definitely has rules to what you can name your kid (generally titles are disallowed), but irritatingly I can't find any official Department of Internal Affairs documents.

The naming rules did make international headlines a while back though.