Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

While I don't necessarily agree with what the judge did or the reasoning behind it, I kind of think it should happen more often. People are getting a little too stupid with the names; like Rob Morrow's kid Tu Morrow, and Kim and Kanye's kid North West, or Moon Unit Zappa.

Parents should be allowed to name their children however they please, provided there isn't malice involved (i.e. child abuse). The last thing we need is for judges or governments to decide which names are or aren't appropriate.

Parents should be allowed to name their children however they please, provided there isn't malice involved (i.e. child abuse). The last thing we need is for judges or governments to decide which names are or aren't appropriate.

Some kind of control might be a good idea though, otherwise you DO get cases where ridiculous names lead to a life of hell for the kids as they grown up, even where malice wasn't intended.

I took a lot of crap for my name when I was growing up.  15+ years of bullying is NO fun, believe me.

Perhaps, rather than outright banning, when someone chooses an odd name for their kid, they should be sent an information leaflet explaining the possible ramifications of choosing that name and giving them an opportunity to reconsider.  An "are you really sure about that?" thing.

Also, people with odd names should stay away from certain professions!  I'm look at you, Dr De'Ath, my dentist! :p

Some kind of control might be a good idea though, otherwise you DO get cases where ridiculous names lead to a life of hell for the kids as they grown up, even where malice wasn't intended.

I do agree in theory, however as crazy as the governments these days are, they don't know where the control should end. 

hmmm, I wonder how many kids have my youngest daughters name (Persephone Jade Vail-Broderick) we call her PJ  only because a lot of the family can never remember how to pronounce or spell it hehe

Oh never mind accorind to babycenter, Persephone ranks at 298th of popular baby names

Pretty stupid decision that will get overturned by any judge that isn't an extremist halfwit. I'd like to see this judge try and stand up in court and provide evidence to support her laughable claim

I took a lot of crap for my name when I was growing up.  15+ years of bullying is NO fun, believe me.

Perhaps, rather than outright banning, when someone chooses an odd name for their kid, they should be sent an information leaflet explaining the possible ramifications of choosing that name and giving them an opportunity to reconsider.  An "are you really sure about that?" thing.

Also, people with odd names should stay away from certain professions!  I'm look at you, Dr De'Ath, my dentist! :p

I don't think the gov't should be able to veto names parents give their children, unless it's something vulgar, which this name isn't.

I don't think the gov't should be able to veto names parents give their children, unless it's something vulgar, which this name isn't.

I didn't suggest they do. Try reading it again.

The only way I think this is remotely sensible is that in Tennessee, that name is likely to get a person in trouble. It isn't this kid's fault, but it could put them in danger. I'm not saying judges should be allowed to change kids' names just because they're stupid (they'd all be working overtime these days if that were the case) but maybe this was more for their safety? Were those Neo-Nazi kids called Aryan Nation and Hitler or whatever made to change their names?

So, when you read the entire comment and thought about it critically, what did you think this meant...

... I don't necessarily agree with what the judge did or the reasoning behind it ...

Did you also realize that the legal reasons and/or implications of what the judge did had nothing to do with the point that was made in the comment?

Obviously class and good taste can't be generally codified into law... obviously.

Or Mess Iah. Iah sounds like a great middle name. :D

Hehe, I feel like I am in Malaysia again. Thanks lah! :laugh:

Wait - 

The judge in eastern Tennessee said the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

The boy's mother, Jaleesa Martin, of Newport, said she will appeal.

Shouldn't the kids name be 'Martin Martin McCullough' or 'Martin Martin DeShawn' then? That is until the name is changed back on appeal. Government has no right to force a name change, regardless of the stupid things people name their children. 

I think the reasoning behind the judge's decision is mainly to prevent any prejudice done to the child because of his name, rather than religious reasons. Too many parents give stupid names to their children these days and they don't realize the harm they do. The law is there to protect the innocent after all.

What about the name, Jesus? I see it everywhere.

Well as the judge said, "Messiah" is a title, Jesus is a name. Jesus was a very common name in Judea 2000 years ago and it still is in various parts of the world. Western sensibility has reserved the name to Jesus-Christ but it's a cultural thing.

The judge needs to be whacked with a rolled up copy of the constitution metaphorically speaking of course.

For some places, not sure about Iceland, it's to prevent your kid getting ridiculed because their parents thought it would be funny to give them a ridiculous name.

This may have played a role in the judge's decision. The kid's mother didn't do him any favors with that name. I can see it now: "Hey Messiah! Walk on water for us!" <Shove> <Splash>

Are you allowed to call your child Mohammed?

No racial intent - just because it basically holds the same context.

No it isn't. The same context would be calling your child Jesus. In this context, the question is can you call you child 'Prophet'.