Is Ian McDiarmid Set To Return As Emperor Palpatine?

c?13886033=MytytnMUHGQ3m1M6c6ywKKU6YHc&f

You'll have to have your salt shakers at the ready for this one, but according to Jedi News (via Yahoo) Ian McDiarmid will reprise the role of the evil Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars: Episode VII. "The specifics of the role are unclear," they say. "But it seems likely that McDiarmid will be returning to his signature role of Palpatine. Whether as the original [Palpatine] or a clone of, we are yet to discern." Of course fans of the Expanded Universe will know that Palpatine did indeed return in this manner, as his spirit occupied a series of clones -- so IF he will be back, this is likely how. Although obviously we have to wait for some kind of official confirmation on this, it is worth noting that McDiarmid has expressed his eagerness to return to the role in the past, going so far as to say he thinks the character "probably does have a future" in the franchise.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=85256

Ummm....I am confused on this one.  In Episode 6 Vador throws him down the main shaft into the power core of the death star.  Then they blow up the death star.  How can he come back from that????

Ummm....I am confused on this one.  In Episode 6 Vador throws him down the main shaft into the power core of the death star.  Then they blow up the death star.  How can he come back from that????

Read the entire thing

"But it seems likely that McDiarmid will be returning to his signature role of Palpatine. Whether as the original [Palpatine] or a clone of, we are yet to discern." Of course fans of the Expanded Universe will know that Palpatine did indeed return in this manner, as his spirit occupied a series of clones -- so IF he will be back, this is likely how.

Well that's disappointing if true. I was hoping for an original story with new Sith villains. Bringing back the emperor in such a lame manner as a "clone", especially when his death in VI was so satisfying, will just cheapen the whole series in my opinion.

Clones.. didn't you read? lol. 

Well that's disappointing if true. I was hoping for an original story with new Sith villains. Bringing back the emperor in such a lame manner as a "clone", especially when his death in VI was so satisfying, will just cheapen the whole series in my opinion.

It depends on the execution but it's not the direction I would have gone for.

I agree, Vador killing him at the end of ep6 was such a key turning point, as was Anikin turning into Vador at the end of ep3 etc.  To have him return, even as a clone is kind of cheap IMO.   On the other hand, we do have dead Jedi showing up as force ghosts or whatever they're called, so why not him being a ghost in the same way?  Guess we'll see how it goes, I'm interesting in talk of the new tv series that fills the gap between movie 6 and movie 7.

Some More Details:

-Palpatine comes back as a Force Ghost..like Obi Wan. (Sith Lords learned similar techniques, which in some cases allowed them to physically interact with their environment.) 

-Palpatine will not be a clone, not in human form. 

-Palpatine had a new apprentice before he got killed. 

-Once again not going by any books. Not one thing they have in the script is from a book.

I hope this new trilogy is about Jacen Solo. To me it's the best character in the entire series along Anakin.

As others have stated, it looks like this draws from the expanded SW universe, where the emperor has like 50 gazzilion clones running around emperoring it up.

Unless they wuss out and have a shimmery ghost going 'oooooooooooooooo, I am your emperor. fear me and listen... wait, why are you salting the doors and windows? why is that priest starting an exorcism... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo'

Unless they wuss out and have a shimmery ghost going 'oooooooooooooooo, I am your emperor. fear me and listen... wait, why are you salting the doors and windows? why is that priest starting an exorcism... noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo'

That actually would be funny to see. :D

Disney doesn't care about your expanded universe, it just paid billions for the series so don't be surprised if they do something else and ignore any books you guys know.

Besides isn't there going to be a new animated series next year that fills the gap between movie 6 and 7?  That could give us info about movie 7 to work on.  I'm still not done watching all of clone wars yet, middle of season 4 at the moment.

Whats the point of character deaths if they just keep bringing them back using <whatever>? It's lame. Might as well start casting for Anakin, Obi Wan, Yoda, and Darth Maul. They can all be "clones" too so we can have a new movie with all our old characters back together again! It's so much easier to write these films when we don't have to develop our own characters!

Might as well start casting for Anakin, Obi Wan, Yoda, and Darth Maul. 

We know the people who are wise in the Force can have Force Ghosts after death. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the old faces back from time to time. This is only a few years after the original movies, after all.

Whats the point of character deaths if they just keep bringing them back using <whatever>? It's lame. Might as well start casting for Anakin, Obi Wan, Yoda, and Darth Maul. They can all be "clones" too so we can have a new movie with all our old characters back together again! It's so much easier to write these films when we don't have to develop our own characters!

You've not read the books have you...

You may want to before yu comment on characters you've not experienced.  It's actually done in a decent way.

You've not read the books have you...

You may want to before yu comment on characters you've not experienced.  It's actually done in a decent way.

The books are irrelevant and its already been stated the new films aren't going to waste time incorporating "extended universe" schlock. It completely demeans a desensitizes character deaths when they just keep coming back over and over through some plot device.

The books are irrelevant and its already been stated the new films aren't going to waste time incorporating "extended universe" schlock. It completely demeans a desensitizes character deaths when they just keep coming back over and over through some plot device.

Does ignoring the books not completely demean the series? A lot of people get upset when movies are made about books and change what readers viewed as important events. Now if a movie chooses to follow the book it's also attacked?

When i read, coming back as a clone etc i first had a negative reaction, but if books write about how this happened etc then i would rather they stay true to the real story then make up their own interpretation. 

This isn't a "Lord of the Rings" type universe where the films are based on the books. It's the opposite. The extended universe novels are based on the original films and written by dozens of authors. Disney is doing well by not treating them as canon and having to worry about keeping continuity with hundreds of disconnected novels when they write the next films.