Star Trek Into Darkness named 'worst Star Trek film'

c?14118010=3QkWMy2e2WyHRCeCHcqcRPI32UI&f

Of all the groups of sci-fi fans, you don't mess with the Trekkies...

So JJ Abrams had better watch his step, as fans have branded his latest voyage into the stars as the worst 'Star Trek' movie ever made. Doesn't bode well for Star Wars, does it?

The decision was handed down at the 'Star Trek 2013' convention, which took place in Las Vegas, with attendees being asked to rank the movies in order.

'Star Trek Into Darkness' was deemed the worst of the 12 films that have been made in the franchise, and was even booed at its mere mention.

Though it was roundly enjoyed by the general public ? it's made over $450 million (?291 million) around the world ? the hardcore fans took issue with the movie.

Devin Faraci from the Badass Digest website was witness to the low placing of 'Into Darkness', and said: ?'Star Trek Into Darkness' was met with boos when it was mentioned, and one guy took the mic to say these reboots shouldn't even be considered for a list of 'Star Trek' movies.?

The best film in the series was named as 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan', followed by the 'Next Generation' movie 'Star Trek: First Contact'.

The 1999 parody movie 'Galaxy Quest' was also welcomed into the list, being named the seventh best 'Star Trek' film, despite not really being a 'Star Trek' film.

Elsewhere, the roundly fan-hated 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier' was ranked one up from 'Into Darkness' as the 12th worst.

But JJ Abrams may take some solace from the fact that his 2009 reboot 'Star Trek' was given a more respectable sixth place.

Here's the rankings in full:

13. 'Star Trek Into Darkness'

12. 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier'

11. 'Star Trek Insurrection'

10. 'Star Trek Nemesis'

9. 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture'

8. 'Star Trek Generations'

7. 'Galaxy Quest'

6. 'Star Trek'

5. 'Star Trek: The Search For Spock'

4. 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home'

3. 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country'

2. 'Star Trek: First Contact'

1. 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan'

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/star-trek-into-darkness-named--worst-star-trek-film--073112668.html

I didn't see it, but my understanding is it made Star Trek into an action film. If that's accurate then I can understand why it ranked so low.

• Like 1

Though it was roundly enjoyed by the general public ? it's made over $450 million (?291 million) around the world ? the hardcore fans took issue with the movie.

So it was a decent movie from the sound of things. "Hardcore" Trek fans are a joyless bunch.

I would consider myself a star trek fan and don't agree with that list at all. I mean putting it BELOW star trek 5?! First 3 I agree with though. Not sure why Galaxy Quest is in there? Unless its another subtle insult to In to Darkness?

Galaxy Quest FTW!!

On of the more enjoyable scifi spoofs coming out in that period of time. Still laughing at "Ducts... Why are there always ducts..." :-P

• Like 3

Considering Galaxy Quest isnt a Star  Trek movie...I would say this list/ranking is garbage.

Well they said the "Trekkies" had welcomed the parody to the list :/

I more or less like what they're doing with the series.. but they shouldn't be remaking the films. Especially Wrath of Khan, one of the best of the originals. Got a whole new alternate storyline to work with, why work off of the original stories? Be original with it. The new version of Khan doesn't even come close to Ricardo's version. Personally TMP should have been at the bottom of the list, sooo many things wrong with it.

Considering Galaxy Quest isnt a Star  Trek movie...I would say this list/ranking is garbage.

Wellllll it's a parody of Star Trek, but yea, it shouldn't be on the list.

As a Star Trek fan, i disagree with the list as well. Galaxy Quest? Seriously? and Star Trek: The Motion Picture seriously made it to #9, that is the worst of all the trek movies

I thought it was good, not great but definitely not the worse. Maybe because i'm younger but some of the older trek movies were definitely worse!

Well they said the "Trekkies" had welcomed the parody to the list :/

Ah well, sorry.  I am not a die hard Star Trek fan and even I wouldnt consider Galaxy Quest with Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver a Star Trek movie.

My stance has always been that the JJ Abrams movies are entertaining enough--there's definitely much worse action movies--but the problem is that Star Trek has never been about presenting itself as being a summer blockbuster/popcorn action flick.

IMO, there's really no reason for these characters to be named Kirk, Spock and Bones; they've only borrowed those names from an established franchise so they didn't have to build a new one from scratch.  And really, in the case of Into Darkness, Khan could've been anyone.  Once again, that's just Hollywood "playing it safe".

So it was a decent movie from the sound of things. "Hardcore" Trek fans are a joyless bunch.

A good movie doesn't make a good star trek movie.

If you gonna do something different then change the title and start something new.

I try not to compare the two new films to the older films as it is a rebooted universe, however, i actually liked it i didnt think it was all that bad.

• Like 1

I have to say Im a hardcore Star Trek fan. Currently, I am making another pass though 7 seasons of TNG on Netflix. Into Darkness was not a bad movie. I understand the fan base getting a little ticked that this turned out to be an action movie, but I still think they are over analyzing it. This is a different style of Star Trek. Just like DS9 was a different style than TNG. I actually love all Trek, as each one tells its own story in it's own style. I would love to hear what some of the producers of previous Trek have to say about it. I know Ron Moore wanted to have militaristic story arc by making the dominion war story of DS9 a little grittier, so I think Into Darkness gave some people just the kind of darkness they were looking for.

I've seen all of the movies, and the Abrams movies are better than most of the originals. So I'm just going to chalk this up to grumpy old men who refuse to like anything new about something they've dedicated too much of their life to.

• Like 2

I have to say Im a hardcore Star Trek fan. Currently, I am making another pass though 7 seasons of TNG on Netflix. Into Darkness was not a bad movie.

Star Trek in Netflix really blows.  Missing a TON of episodes.  Not he only shows on Netflix missing episodes either.  Maybe its the device I am using  for Netflix...

I have to say Im a hardcore Star Trek fan. Currently, I am making another pass though 7 seasons of TNG on Netflix. Into Darkness was not a bad movie. I understand the fan base getting a little ticked that this turned out to be an action movie, but I still think they are over analyzing it. This is a different style of Star Trek. Just like DS9 was a different style than TNG. I actually love all Trek, as each one tells its own story in it's own style. I would love to hear what some of the producers of previous Trek have to say about it. I know Ron Moore wanted to have militaristic story arc by making the dominion war story of DS9 a little grittier, so I think Into Darkness gave some people just the kind of darkness they were looking for.

It's hard to over analyze the film when none of the events make much sense.  

Honestly what did people expect? they made the movie into an action / celeb bonanza which was just gawd awful. I started cringing 10 mins into the movie, then deleted it. What a load of A grade garbage 

Guess i'm retarded too as I like Janeway as a captain as well. Maybe not more than Picard but I still to this day haven't watched 99% of DS9.