Is it wrong for men to wear socks with shorts in the summer?

I read that it's a big fashion mistake for men to wear socks when wearing shorts in the summer. I don't know. Whenever I wear shorts and not wear socks or even wear ankle socks, it doesn't feel right. It feels and looks kind of girly to me. Whenever I try it, it just feels very wrong. But ironically, I read that girls tend to like it better when men don't have any socks showing when they're wearing shorts. Is this true? If so, then what other options do we have? Sneakers without socks? Canvas shoes or boat shoes without socks? Sandals? Flip flops?

What looks good on men with shorts?

If you are wearing flip flops or sandals, then feel free to go sock less.  If I am not wearing open toed shoes, then I am wearing socks, doesn't matter if I am wearing pants or shorts.

If you are wearing flip flops or sandals, then feel free to go sock less.  If I am not wearing open toed shoes, then I am wearing socks, doesn't matter if I am wearing pants or shorts.

That's how I look at it. But apparently, socks with shorts, no matter what type of footwear, is a big no-no. I guess that explains why I can never get a girlfriend. :/

I have a couple of slip on shoes, that are casual but dressy that I wear no socks. Nothing wrong with wearing socks with shorts. Higher than ankle socks with shorts is more of a 80's, 90's style. Now most people wear below ankle socks with shorts. 

It also depends on what else you are wearing with the outfit I guess, I typically avoid tennis shoes / running shoes for every day wear and more loafers, boots or sandals. 

• Like 1

What kind of shoes do you were? Sneakers without socks sounds like foot suicide to me. Absolutely wear socks. I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't wear socks.....unless they are wearing sandals.

That's how I look at it. But apparently, socks with shorts, no matter what type of footwear, is a big no-no. I guess that explains why I can never get a girlfriend.  :/

That's not a no-no....where on earth did you hear that?

I refuse to wear shorts. Or sandals. Problem solved.

Sorry you don't like being comfortable. Then again last time I was in Germany it was cold and raining the entire time.
  • Like 1

No socks with sandals. If you are wearing shorts and say shoes (such as the nice Clarks above) then either no socks or LOW socks that don't show.

Yes, it is wrong. Socks are a big no-no with shorts. 

What type of shoes are you referring to? There are far more shoe types you HAVE to wear socks for than those you don't. Unless you like your feet getting destroyed by your shoes.

That's not a no-no....where on earth did you hear that?

A lot of fashion articles out there. Here's one of them I found:

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip/26_fashion_advice.html

Socks and shoesAny other time of year, we seek to keep our feet bundled up in warm socks: argyle ones for work, a low-cut athletic pair for the gym and, on occasion, the heavy-duty wool variety in the cold months. But summer calls for no socks at all, especially with the footwear of the season -- namely, men's sandals, drivers and boat shoes. Suffocating your feet in any of these with a bright white pair of socks should also require a camera bag and return ticket to Bratislava. Still insisting on coverage of some sort? Invest in knot socks, the no-show alternative to the tourist-favored tube.

I wear socks (low cut and obviously with shoes) and shorts. Don't care what other people think of this :P No socks with sandals.

I wear socks (low cut and obviously with shoes) and shorts. Don't care what other people think of this :p No socks with sandals.

Well low cut socks don't count because that's cheating. Because everyone thinks you're not wearing socks since they're hidden. :P

Depends on the socks.  knee high, hell no.  I always wear ankle socks.

From what I read, any socks that's visible is a big no-no. Low socks that remain hidden in the shoe is ok because it looks like you're not wearing socks.

It depends on the shoes and the socks. The higher the shoe the better it looks with a sock. Don't pull them all the way up. White socks are always a no. Socks and sandals should be a criminal offense. 

I don't think I've ever seen someone in shorts not wear socks with shoes... I duno where people get the idea you shouldn't wear socks... sandals yeah that makes sense with no socks they are sandals! My feet would be bleeding if I didn't wear socks with how much I move around

From what I read, any socks that's visible is a big no-no. Low socks that remain hidden in the shoe is ok because it looks like you're not wearing socks.

There is your problem, reading about such stuff.

Just wear what is comfortable for you.

Personally, I wear ankle socks and trainers with shorts.  Never wear sandals or flip flops.

• Like 3

I wear socks when i wear shorts... i only own one pair of shorts and i do not wear them often.

my boss wears cowboy boots with shorts...and a dress shirt (turquoise blue boots at that). He suffers from a fashion emergency nearly every day...but he is married with 4 kids, owns a restaurant and a ranch. (He's a millionaire) It's quite a sight to see.  :s

Depends on the footwear. It is NEVER ok to wear socks with sandals, regardless of the clothing on your bottom half. If you're wearing shoes/sneakers, it's ok to wear socks. (as long as they're ankle or heal socks) I'd also say that's it's not ok to wear shoes/sneakers without socks because it's incredibly filthy and gross. But that's just me.

I don't think I've ever seen someone in shorts not wear socks with shoes... I duno where people get the idea you shouldn't wear socks... sandals yeah that makes sense with no socks they are sandals! My feet would be bleeding if I didn't wear socks with how much I move around

Precisely why I need to wear socks. If anyone here has read that flip flops thread I started last month, you'll know why I cannot walk barefoot in any kind of footwear. I'm very prone to blisters.