Is it wrong for men to wear socks with shorts in the summer?

I'd also say that's it's not ok to wear shoes/sneakers without socks because it's incredibly filthy and gross. But that's just me.

yeah, without socks your shoes will start to skink bad even faster! all that oil and sweat going right into the shoe lining instead of your socks that can be washed...

I read that it's a big fashion mistake for men to wear socks when wearing shorts in the summer. I don't know. Whenever I wear shorts and not wear socks or even wear ankle socks, it doesn't feel right. It feels and looks kind of girly to me. Whenever I try it, it just feels very wrong. But ironically, I read that girls tend to like it better when men don't have any socks showing when they're wearing shorts. Is this true? If so, then what other options do we have? Sneakers without socks? Canvas shoes or boat shoes without socks? Sandals? Flip flops?

What looks good on men with shorts?

A big fashion mistake is to wear white socks with black trousers.

Other than that, wearing socks with shorts regardless of shoe type is ok if it makes you comfortable. For example, if your feet sweat or get cold if you are in a place with AC (when taking subway or a bus in summer).

I wear sneakers all the time and I have to wear socks or I get blisters. I don't care about the kind of socks. I have more important things to worry about then If I should be wearing socks or not.

It feels and looks kind of girly to me. Whenever I try it, it just feels very wrong. 

Whatever that means ?

I wear ankle socks when I wear shorts and have hard shoes on, because there's no reason for the long socks in the extra heat, and the short socks look better. When I wear canvas shoes, I don't wear socks at all, because there's no need to -- they breathe well -- and it would look funny.

I never once thought about whether it feels girly. There are practical reasons why people dress the way they do and practical reasons too why guys and girls dress differently. Short skirts and high heels don't work on guys, but it has nothing to do with them being girly.

The only thing you can't do is socks with sandals.  Otherwise you're good.

Says who, the fashion police? Do that all the time in summer at work on Fridays. I could care less about how I look since I work in IT :p

When hiking with my Scout troop in the summer, I do wear shorts and mid-calf socks with my hiking boots.

Wow, went back and looked at some of the comments. While I agree that socks with sandals on shorts don't look right, they are fine for me with cargo pants or jeans (that's what I wear on Fridays)

When I wear canvas shoes, I don't wear socks at all, because there's no need to -- they breathe well -- and it would look funny.

These are the kind of canvas shoes I own. They're the slip-on kind.

http://images.esellerpro.com/3194/I/396/3/classic_slip_on_navy0001_1.jpg

I wear them sometimes, but not as much as sneakers. They're pretty comfy and soft, so I think it's probably one of the few types of footwear that won't blister my feet if I wore them without socks.. However, I've never tried wearing them without socks because like I said, they will probably start to stink.

Ok, just got myself a pack of low cut socks that I can wear with my shorts. For so many years, I never realized how much crew socks were a big no-no with shorts. I was never much into fashion, so I never took notice of these things until now.

I think the first thing to bear in mind is largely not to pay much attention to others about it, even if that really does mean socks and sandals.  If I had to rationalise when to wear socks with footwear then it would depend much more on the kind of footwear than anything else:

• Sandals = no socks
  • Light shoes = pushed down socks or low cut socks
  • Regular shoes or boots = socks

I get the fashion sense with not wearing socks with shorts, but if that means you're sitting there in trainers and no socks then I'll be more distracted by how sticky your feet will be than admiring your sense of fashion.

I think the first thing to bear in mind is largely not to pay much attention to others about it, even if that really does mean socks and sandals. 

It's very hard not to. When I was walking outside today in Manhattan, I noticed that the only people wearing crew socks or tube socks with their shorts are either older men or little kids. Everyone between the ages of 20-40 were wearing ankle socks, low cut socks or no show socks. I never took notice of it until now. Never realized how dorky I've been dressing all these years.

That's how I look at it. But apparently, socks with shorts, no matter what type of footwear, is a big no-no. I guess that explains why I can never get a girlfriend. :/

According to who, exactly?  I suppose if you have the right footwear, you can go without socks.  But, I would never wear tennis shoes without socks on.

From what I read, any socks that's visible is a big no-no.

I don't know you, so please don't take this the wrong way.

If you plan on going through life being concerned about what other people tell you to do, then you will NEVER truly be happy. This goes for wearing socks with shorts or anything else. Trust me, I have found that out the hard way.

Somewhere as I browsed this thread I saw a comment about getting a girlfriend. Honestly, if a girl is turned off enough by your attire that she won't be with you, then she would have to be rather shallow and is probably not someone you want to be with anyway.

Anyway, I wear ankle length socks with shorts when I have sneakers on and couldn't care less what anyone thinks. I don't want sweaty feet.

Do what you feel works for you.

short ankle socks here with tennis shoes and shorts, knee high crew socks with jeans and whatever shoes. It is not a good idea to wear flip flops or sandles if not on a beach as they have been proven to be bad for back,feet and legs and will often times change the way you gait as you constantly try to keep them on and adjust them. You need support and as Enron said we are not primates no more, there is no reason not to wear shoes and good ones at that. You will miss the chance to use them when you mess up you're back from flip flop usage and in a wheel chair early in life.

I always wear socks.. usually ankle socks, but if I wore jeans that day and then put on shorts, I will keep my calf socks on and put on my sandals if heading outside... fork the fashion police!!

My sandals are adidas adissage and why do you care if a stranger thinks you are violating some fashon rule?

The only thing you can't do is socks with sandals.  Otherwise you're good.

if your hiking or doing some major walking I'd suggest both shoes and socks.  I will have to say I went to a 5 star Hotel.  and in their Restaurant.  while we were dressed up.  They were wearing standard shoes (tennis shoes)  and no socks.  Want a blister?  Sheesh.  Fine it was 90-100 out but put some socks on.  Even no see ums.  

The problem is you care what other people think! just wear what your comfortable with :happy: not what society dictates you should. Personally I've never followed fashion trends and just wear what I feel comfortable in, if people don't like it then it's their problem not mine ;) that is my 2 cents.

I prefer regular socks. The short and no show socks just don't seem good to me. Too short.

What kind of socks do you wear? Ankle socks? You see, I've been wearing crew socks with my shorts. Crew socks are longer than ankle socks and shorter than tube socks.

Not wrong if you are playing football :laugh:

you can wear those ankle socks, that are barely visible; that way your feet will be protected, comfortable, not smelly and it won't look like this fellow:

silver-shirt-black-topman-shorts-socks-j

There is your problem, reading about such stuff.

Just wear what is comfortable for you.

Personally, I wear ankle socks and trainers with shorts.  Never wear sandals or flip flops.

You know something, you could be right. You know, those fashion sites I read also said that cargo shorts are a big fashion mistake!! What the heck? 90% of guys out there are wearing cargo shorts. That makes no sense! Cargo shorts are definitely still in fashion! The socks thing, I may agree on because I see very few guys wear long, crew socks, but cargo shorts, I have to disagree with.