Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi Set To Return to 'Star Wars'

IIro.jpg

After playing Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequel trilogy, Ewan McGregor expressed interest in reprising the role for Disney's Episode VII, most likely replacing the late Alec Guinness as the Force ghost version of the Jedi master. Well, it looks like that will be the case. After breaking news of Ian McDiarmid's Emperor Palpatine returning for the 2015 sequel in a similar manner, Latino-Review has learned that McGregor is on board to play Obi-Wan as a Force ghost in the Star Wars sequel trilogy. The actor is also interested in a solo film starring the character, as Disney will be pumping out various stand-alone installments in the coming years. And after Hayden Christensen's Anakin Skywalker replace Sebastian Shaw's in the ending of Return Of The Jedi starting with the 2004 DVD re-release, Latino-Review says that his possibly reprising his role from the prequels as well isn't out of the question.

http://latino-review.com/2013/08/obi-wan-kenobi-set-to-return-star-wars-episode-vii/

• Like 1

Lets hope they don't do what they did with EPs 1-2 as they where completely rubbish... and that Jar Jar Binks character was really annoying, and killed the films.

Do we know how long after the end of 6 that 7 will take place?  30 year gap?  I so wanted to see Luke being a young master jedi and rebuilding everything, dunno what they'll do now though.

Why not just replace everyone and everything that happen in the original trilogy, in fact.. why not just remake them with the new characters.  Bring in a few ghosts from the prequel... qui gon, windu, dooku, maul.  I realize its doubtful that the movies can get any worse but they certainly seem to be doing everything they can to do so.

It highly depends on the director. So there is hope for him in this new movie. In the past he along with the entire cast, sounded like they were resiting lines / reading cue cards.

For standalone films? Sure. Appearing in the sequels as an old recording? Sure. But it would be completely out of place for him to return as a ghost given Episode V + VI.

For standalone films? Sure. Appearing in the sequels as an old recording? Sure. But it would be completely out of place for him to return as a ghost given Episode V + VI.

What's wrong with him coming back as a Force Ghost? They're 100% canon.

Because in Episode V + VI Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared in his older form and there is no logical explanation as to why he would suddenly appear young again.

Because a force ghost can chose how they appear, and in 5 and 6 old him made more sense since that's who Luke knew. Later he would rather appear as his young self.

That and wean was awesome and is alive and young enough to still play in the movies.

As I understand it only a few characters who was advanced in the force could actually become force ghosts?

And after Hayden Christensen's Anakin Skywalker replace Sebastian Shaw's in the ending of Return Of The Jedi starting with the 2004 DVD re-release, Latino-Review says that his possibly reprising his role from the prequels as well isn't out of the question.

Xl4uOgZ.gif

As I understand it only a few characters who was advanced in the force could actually become force ghosts?

Technically it was anar thought to force users back in the days that got lost with the Jedi.

I always thought that a force ghost would show up looking how they did when they died, I suppose the change with Anakin would make sense because that's how he looked before he "died" and became Darth Vader.   So in that sense the change at the end of VI was ok with me.  But now to change Obi?  I dunno about that one.

I always thought that a force ghost would show up looking how they did when they died, I suppose the change with Anakin would make sense because that's how he looked before he "died" and became Darth Vader.   So in that sense the change at the end of VI was ok with me.  But now to change Obi?  I dunno about that one.

Seeing as Alec Guinnes died in 2000 it would be hard to get him to reprise the role though :p

• Like 1

Seeing as Alec Guinnes died in 2000 it would be hard to get him to reprise the role though :p

yes, I heard about this. He is rest in peace.

They didn't say they were going to change Obi-Wan in the previous films. I agree with you though that it would be weird if they'd change that as well. How I understand it is that he's going to play the force ghost in the upcoming films. Alec Guinness passed away in 2000 so they can't put him in the upcoming films.