Windows 8 installation issues. need some help

I bought windows 8 and I'm a real stickler for using what I pay for. But I'm also bored as hell too. I want to install Windows 8 because I paid for the darn thing and might as well use it. I bought it last year during the $40 offering. Not alot, but I might as well use what I pay for right?

Ok, what exactly is the problem you are asking? The problem goes like this. I uninstalled about 4 items that prevent me from installing Windows 8 and started the install when I did uninstall them. (they were all Toshiba crapware like media creator bla bla.)

The install gets to 45% then stops or hangs and doesn't move. the HDD and DVD drive lights stay on and that's it. the little circle of dots continue to go round and around ad nauseum,

did some reading around on the net but I want YOUR opinions, your best ones because I've read about turning off services via msconfig and on the startup tab turning off most services and this is supposed to solve the issue upon restart.

What say you?

I appreciate your help

I want to keep my current setup if possible. i know, I know, I'm going against the grain here but I'm currently using the upgrade assistant at the moment

Added: I tried a clean install and it does the same thing.. this is wierd.

What specific settings are you trying to keep?  My suggestion is to do a regular backup, then do a back using Windows Easy Transfer (Its built in to Win 7 and Win 8)....then do a clean install, and restore your files / settings from Windows Easy Transfer.  If for some reason that restore doesn't work perfectly then you have a regular back up (just in case).  I've used W.E.T on a few systems and none of my customers every said they were missing anything.

Just my suggestion

I tried a clean install of windows 8 but the darn thing stops at either 27-45% and nothing happens. I'm assuming my DVD might be bad but no scratches that can be noticed by the naked eye.

I'm trying to contact Toshiba if they offer a windows8 media to upgrade.. not sure but worth a try.

HI

Have you tried re-downloading the windows 8 image from Microsoft, then burning a new dvd, maybe your dvd image burn is not right or you had  an issue with your original image download.  Your email with the receipt and key code from MS should have the download info in it for you .

Cheers

I'm assuming my DVD might be bad but no scratches that can be noticed by the naked eye.

Can you get your hands on an .iso of Windows 8 and put it on a USB stick? The rest of it I don't know what to tell you. I do wish you the best of luck.

HI

Have you tried re-downloading the windows 8 image from Microsoft, then burning a new dvd, maybe your dvd image burn is not right or you had  an issue with your original image download.  Your email with the receipt and key code from MS should have the download info in it for you .

Cheers

I just got to thinking the same thing. I have the receipt of my purchase for Windows8 and wonder if MS can help me out with that.

I got Windows 8 installed. It appears that the former DVD had some sort of fault on it. I still have my key for windows 8 and I installed "Classic shell" for my start menu.

seems to be good to go. Now off to install the latest AMD drivers.

Thanks everyone.. the USB seems alot more reliable. 

Cheers! I'll update to 8.1 when it RTM's. 

my understanding is 8.1 will be made available through the store correct?

~Chris